Weirdest Quirks of Your State DOT?

Started by i-215, January 17, 2019, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verlanka

froggie

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2019, 02:37:04 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 21, 2019, 02:30:51 PM
I use "A" to track each tank of gas and "B" when we travel somewhere to track the total distance there and back again

This is exactly what I do too.

Ditto.

jemacedo9

Quote from: froggie on April 23, 2019, 10:11:36 AM
Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2019, 02:37:04 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 21, 2019, 02:30:51 PM
I use "A" to track each tank of gas and "B" when we travel somewhere to track the total distance there and back again

This is exactly what I do too.

Ditto.

I use "A" to track each tank of gas and "B" to track each oil change, instead of using the sticker that sometimes falls off.  If I am interested in tracking a long trip, I will use "A" for that and skip tracking tanks of gas.

jakeroot

I think the way VW has their trip setup is quite useful. There is only a single trip counter on the dash, but there are three more that are built into the computer:

* data since refuel
* data since start
* data over long-term ("extended" or something)

All three have separate MPG, distance, travel time, and average speed statistics. The first two reset automatically, and the last manually. The last one is quite helpful for driving trips. You can track all of the aforementioned data, without worrying about losing data during refuel or overnight stops (as you would with the first two). Of course, all of this can be done manually, but its cool to have all three working simultaneously. And in my experience, the electronic MPG data has been very close to reality, so I don't have an issue with relying on the car for this information.

SSOWorld

this and this (WisDOT)
this (IDOT)
and this (IowaDOT)

Alternate Interstate? and to think that Travel Mapping kinda fell for that at one point - these "alternate" routes are actually designated feeder/evacuation for detours set up to go around crashes.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 23, 2019, 06:30:10 PM
and this (IowaDOT)

These are starting to go away now, being replaced by signs like this. There was a ruling from the FHWA in April 2017 which approved these "alternate route to" signs and disallowed many of the alternate/emergency detour signage that various states had been using. So far, I've only seen examples of these signs from Iowa and Minnesota, though.

SSOWorld

good luck getting WI to do it - they won't abandon the unisign format.

in hindsight - the MUTCD one makes more sense (though the warning color doesn't)
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Flint1979

this and this (WisDOT)
this (IDOT)
and this (IowaDOT)

Alternate Interstate? and to think that Travel Mapping kinda fell for that at one point - these "alternate" routes are actually designated feeder/evacuation for detours set up to go around crashes.
MDOT can't be left out Michigan does it too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1959606,-86.2234477,3a,15y,308.84h,91.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVdgN1kxie_UCU_U9B7GMaQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 23, 2019, 10:02:26 PM
in hindsight - the MUTCD one makes more sense (though the warning color doesn't)

I agree about the color. White on green or black on white would make more sense for that message.

froggie

Not all of Travel Mapping "fell for that"...😌

djsekani

No one's mentioned California's unique curved traffic signal masts yet?

roadman

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 23, 2019, 07:11:34 PM
and this (IowaDOT)

These are starting to go away now, being replaced by signs like this. There was a ruling from the FHWA in April 2017 which approved these "alternate route to" signs and disallowed many of the alternate/emergency detour signage that various states had been using. So far, I've only seen examples of these signs from Iowa and Minnesota, though.

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/interpretations/pdf/6_09_42.pdf
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jakeroot

Quote from: djsekani on May 03, 2019, 08:39:04 AM

I've seen them used in Washington and British Columbia. Bellevue, WA uses them exclusively, as does Pierce County (WA).

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on May 03, 2019, 11:10:59 AM

I've seen them used in Washington and British Columbia. Bellevue, WA uses them exclusively, as does Pierce County (WA).

Curved mast arms are also the norm in Utah and Arizona. They're also extremely common in the Boise area, but I don't think I've seen them in other parts of Idaho.

plain

Quote from: US 89 on May 03, 2019, 11:30:39 AM

Curved mast arms are also the norm in Utah and Arizona. They're also extremely common in the Boise area, but I don't think I've seen them in other parts of Idaho.

Also in several localities in Virginia, especially in Richmond, Arlington County, and downtown Suffolk.

EDIT: Note that most of these are maintained by the localities themselves, not VDOT.
Newark born, Richmond bred

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadman on May 03, 2019, 10:58:01 AM
and this (IowaDOT)

I wonder what the reasoning is for white on blue not being listed as an acceptable color for EMERGENCY DETOUR plaques.  The green plaque atop blue shields and plaques doesn't seem to make sense.  An assembly of ALT NORTH I-65 {arrow} in all blue is OK, and on a single sign, all that would be on a green background.  So why is EMERGENCY DETOUR different?  Weird.

Indiana posted these in 2017, albeit onto the front of the other sign, which look fine (except for being mounted onto the other sign; the emergency closure of a nearby bridge caused the signs to be needed at the time they were erected so they just posted them in the easiest way).

Revive 755

and this (IowaDOT)

Illinois has a few of the new ones making an appearance for I-39, and there was a contract not to long ago to add some for I-55 and I-72 around Springfield.

ErmineNotyours

Found this in Victoria, BC a few years ago: the distinctive curved BC mast.  That was one of the giveaways in the American version of Insomnia, that it was filmed in BC and not Alaska.  Strangely, they had that light flashing yellow.  I've never seen an idle light flash yellow in BC, but I usually see idle crosswalk signals flash green.

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 05, 2019, 04:33:59 PM

Found this in Victoria, BC a few years ago: the distinctive curved BC mast.  That was one of the giveaways in the American version of Insomnia, that it was filmed in BC and not Alaska.  Strangely, they had that light flashing yellow.  I've never seen an idle light flash yellow in BC, but I usually see idle crosswalk signals flash green.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/46993456714_30367633d6_c.jpg

Nice find! I've seen flashing yellow lights (both flashing orbs and RRFB's) but none that flash while in idle mode...only when activated by a pedestrian. The vast majority are indeed the infamous flashing green orb setup.

Curved mast arms are still installed, but (from what I've seen) mostly as part of double left turn signals, installed in the centre median. That said, I can think of at least one new one at a four-way intersection: Esquimalt & Harbour just across from Downtown Victoria.

Here's the California-esque curved mast arms that I was originally thinking of, which are still relatively common in Vancouver-proper:

^^ Link to this street view image: http://bit.ly/2J1YP20

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jakeroot on May 05, 2019, 08:44:10 PM

Curved mast arms are still installed, but (from what I've seen) mostly as part of double left turn signals, installed in the centre median. That said, I can think of at least one new one at a four-way intersection: Esquimalt & Harbour just across from Downtown Victoria.

Ha!  That intersection is just a half block from where I took my picture.  And they still have stock left.  No wonder they installed curved arms there.

SSOWorld

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 05, 2019, 12:20:53 PM
Quote from: roadman on May 03, 2019, 10:58:01 AM
and this (IowaDOT)

I wonder what the reasoning is for white on blue not being listed as an acceptable color for EMERGENCY DETOUR plaques.  The green plaque atop blue shields and plaques doesn't seem to make sense.  An assembly of ALT NORTH I-65 {arrow} in all blue is OK, and on a single sign, all that would be on a green background.  So why is EMERGENCY DETOUR different?  Weird.

Indiana posted these in 2017, albeit onto the front of the other sign, which look fine (except for being mounted onto the other sign; the emergency closure of a nearby bridge caused the signs to be needed at the time they were erected so they just posted them in the easiest way).
Uniformity across all regions. Though considering that said uniformity is out the window in states such as California which insists on signs being uniform height on the overheads and will scrunch the contents to maintain it.  Also states such as WI and RI (at one point) that like(d) the unisign format (even for Interstate shields), or just plain suck at it like Illinois (leaving it to the districts to do the work - resulting in different designs.  Plus - uniformity goes against everything USA (competition rules the day)
Scott O.

Raise your what?

thspfc

Do all states actively sign "Alternate" routes for Interstates? Wisconsin does so thoroughly that it's almost annoying.

DaBigE

Quote from: thspfc on May 06, 2019, 09:55:55 PM
Do all states actively sign "Alternate" routes for Interstates? Wisconsin does so thoroughly that it's almost annoying.

How about any other states with electronic alternate route signage, like the Blue Route around Madison? Despite the WSP Trooper quoted, I don't think I've ever heard of it being activated in the 17 years I've been in the Madison area.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jakeroot

Quote from: thspfc on May 06, 2019, 09:55:55 PM

I only seen "ALT" signs in WA when there are ramp closures related to construction. I've never seen one in BC, where the rule of thumb seems to be that drivers need to find their own way, to avoid clogging up one specific route unable to cope with all the detoured freeway traffic.

CoreySamson

Bumping this thread for some of Texas's quirks.

1. Signing every single vertical clearance sign (even when it is completely not necessary)

2. Horribly short acceleration lanes

3. Great Clearview signs

4. City limits are posted upon entering and leaving a city

5. W1-7Ts in many locations instead of W1-7s

6. Feeder roads and Texas turnarounds

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.