News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Hampshire

Started by 74/171FAN, June 17, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

I remember there being an accident at the toll plaza on I-95 in Hampton once.

SectorZ

KEVIN_224

http://www.wmur.com/article/sarah-long-bridge-between-nh-maine-opens-friday/19639747

Except for some cosmetic work, the bridge between Portsmouth, NH and Kittery, ME is now open! :)

yakra

Coverage in the Portland Press Herald is, shall we say, a bit less celebratory:
State and Cianbro trade blame as new bridge opens 7 months late
https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/30/cianbro-maine-dot-trade-blame-for-seven-months-late-opening-of-bridge/
QuoteThe Sarah Mildred Long Bridge project is the state's most expensive, and records show it appears to be the most contentious, with a dispute over millions in payments likely to come next.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

froggie

I-93 through Franconia Notch closed due to high winds blowing multiple trucks over.

https://twitter.com/newhampshiredot/status/985971213905297410?s=21

shadyjay

Took a little weekend trip to New Hampshire.  Noticed the replacement of the former small green signs along portions of US 4 and NH 11 in favor of more traditional signage.  For example, this sign is gone now:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.5258605,-71.8625962,3a,42.9y,156.19h,85.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDmgO8sCFUY3-PQv6Y8Sp4g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

So is this, and the whole intersection revamped:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6464543,-72.1885459,3a,31.5y,200.95h,82.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAJAGwdfMPI6Mz4jpVlGWzA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

In lieu of the LGS (little green signs), the new normal is city/town names on a separate sign, and routes shown with traditional directional/shield/arrow signs, on par with the rest of New England (except Mass.). 

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

froggie

shadyjay

I'm pretty sure it was a new bridge, but not 100% positive.  The intersection itself is now just a "T" with no direct ramp from 4E->4A. 

froggie

Jay's right.  Just checked NHDOT bridge records and it was replaced in 2015.  Probably the same time that the 4/4A intersection was redone.

shadyjay

The 4/11 jct in Andover/Potter Place was also reconfigured in recent years.  US 4 ran below and had two sets of ramps connecting it with NH 11 (above).  There was a direct NH 11 WB->US 4 WB ramp (the two are cosigned east of here), and all other access was via a 2-way street near the location of the new park & ride in this Google streetview:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4382094,-71.8589298,3a,57.6y,109.17h,71.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOhaO1XsjWij08ybxkoCEDA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Also in the image, you can see the new style generic route signing NH is switching to.  Before, US 4 (left and straight) and NH 11 (straight) would be shown on a single LGS, usually with no directionals given.

The old bridge which carried NH 11 over US 4 and the former Northern Line of the B&M Railroad was removed and filled in, with a large culvert for the old railroad grade, now a walking path.   

froggie

Slightly different than that.  The WB 11 to WB 4 ramp also provided access to Depot St...it was simply a westbound off-ramp.  Likewise, there was an eastbound off-ramp loop from EB 11.  The "two-way street" you refer to is where the Depot St connection to 4/11 is now, but was really just a one-way access from EB 4 and Depot St to 11.  For most intents, the overall function was very close to a folded-diamond interchange except that you didn't have a direct WB 11 on-ramp.

Construction on this was 2009-2010.

SectorZ

http://hudsonnh.gov/node/5302

So a part of the Nashua Circumferential Highway is back from the dead. The town of Hudson is looking to extend it northeast of NH 3A to end at NH 111 east of Hudson center, giving it the name of Hudson Blvd. The current terminus at 3A will become a SPUI, with traffic signals at four road crossings (plus one road that will bridge over with no access, the dead end Trigate Rd) and an at-grade intersection end at 111 (no mention, but presume traffic signal).

The good news is almost all the right-of-way along it has already been bought up, so land acquisition costs should be very little, and is claimed to actually be zero in the overall plans.

As someone who drives up enough (my mom lives in town), and has seen even in a few years what a mess 3A is much of the day north of the highway, the need is starting to become apparent.

froggie

^ Read through the grant application.  The town has submitted a BUILD grant (current administration's rendition of the former TIGER grants) request for $25 million.  Total project cost is estimated at $45 million, and the town will cover the remaining $20 million.

Assuming they get it built, the town will own the road (so it will likely not get a route number) and be responsible for maintenance.  That said, they're expecting to build it to NHDOT standards, albeit at a 35 MPH design speed.  And NHDOT has "reserved the right" to build the Circumferential Highway along the corridor in the future...the application mentions that it would be part of the turnpike system and be tolled if that happens.

tckma

Quote from: SectorZ on October 28, 2018, 06:00:53 PM
So a part of the Nashua Circumferential Highway is back from the dead. The town of Hudson is looking to extend it northeast of NH 3A to end at NH 111 east of Hudson center, giving it the name of Hudson Blvd. The current terminus at 3A will become a SPUI, with traffic signals at four road crossings (plus one road that will bridge over with no access, the dead end Trigate Rd) and an at-grade intersection end at 111 (no mention, but presume traffic signal).

Good.  That highway, er, rather, bridge always seemed to me to be merely an overbuilt approach to the Hudson Wal-Mart back in 2001-02 when I lived in South Nashua.  There was talk of building the highway out even back then.  And NH-3A was my preferred escape from US-3 to get to work (I worked in Tewksbury, MA at the time), but even then it was terrible on some days.

PHLBOS

Quote from: tckma on October 29, 2018, 09:42:57 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on October 28, 2018, 06:00:53 PM

Good.  That highway, er, rather, bridge always seemed to me to be merely an overbuilt approach to the Hudson Wal-Mart back in 2001-02 when I lived in South Nashua.  There was talk of building the highway out even back then.  And NH-3A was my preferred escape from US-3 to get to work (I worked in Tewksbury, MA at the time), but even then it was terrible on some days.
That proposed circumferential highway has been on-again/off-again for at least 45 years.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 29, 2018, 10:02:19 AM
That proposed circumferential highway has been on-again/off-again for at least 45 years.

The Circumferential Highway is the New Hampshire equivalent of the Long Island Sound bridge - proposed forever, but never getting built.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hotdogPi

Quote from: cl94 on October 29, 2018, 03:11:58 PM

The Circumferential Highway is the New Hampshire equivalent of the Long Island Sound bridge - proposed forever, but never getting built.

I would rather have had it connect to MA 213 (I have a screenshot, and you might have seen it before, but this isn't in Fictional Highways), but this proposal is at least better than nothing.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

froggie

I'd argue that Nashua's "Circ" has a better chance than anything over Long Island...

roadman

Was up in Derry on Saturday, so I decided to check out the new southbound I-93 on my way back.  Striped as three lanes with a wide left shoulder (for apparent conversion to a fourth lane at some point).  Hardly any traffic.

The northbound section of I-93 is still two lanes, as the Jersey barrier that separated northbound and southbound traffic hasn't yet been removed.

Because of where I was in Derry, it was easiest for me to use the "NB I-93 Emergency Detour" to get to Route 102 in Londonderry, then onto I-93 south.  Interesting to note that a portion of this detour is routed over a street that is signed "NO THRU TRUCKS".

Also, NO signs have been put up on 102 east marking the entrance to I-93 south, and the horribly faded Junction sign for I-93 hasn't yet been replaced.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

froggie

^ Given that the last time I was through there (about 6 weeks ago), a lot of work was still needing to be done at the 102 interchange, I'm presuming the "new southbound I-93" begins at some point south of that.

roadman

Quote from: froggie on December 03, 2018, 05:42:43 PM
^ Given that the last time I was through there (about 6 weeks ago), a lot of work was still needing to be done at the 102 interchange, I'm presuming the "new southbound I-93" begins at some point south of that.
That is correct.  The new wider I-93 southbound starts south of Route 102.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jp the roadgeek

I'd compare it to  the CT 11 extension to I-95 (although it's officially dead).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

The Ghostbuster

Does New Hampshire have any future plans to convert their exit numbers to mileage-based? Since Rhode Island is doing it, Vermont will do it, Connecticut is slowly doing it, New York is a eventual maybe, and Massachusetts canceled their plan, New Hampshire is the only New England state that I've heard that hasn't announced a plan for a sequential-to-milepost exit renumbering.

bob7374

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 07, 2018, 04:50:20 PM
Does New Hampshire have any future plans to convert their exit numbers to mileage-based? Since Rhode Island is doing it, Vermont will do it, Connecticut is slowly doing it, New York is a eventual maybe, and Massachusetts canceled their plan, New Hampshire is the only New England state that I've heard that hasn't announced a plan for a sequential-to-milepost exit renumbering.
I posted this article a year ago regarding NH's lack of interest, largely due to budget issues:
https://www.concordmonitor.com/highway-exit-numbers-renumber-nh-14082582

Of course, the politicians cite the costs of replacing all the signs not just the exit tabs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.