News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-86 Approved 20 Years Ago

Started by ccurley100, June 10, 2018, 04:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccurley100

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NJRoadfan

Lucky for them they didn't mention a completion date for the highway. At one point it was "to be complete by 2012"!

AMLNet49

They badly need to clean up this situation. Just rename SR 17 to SR 86 at this point. I've said this before, but put up fake (maybe black on white) Interstate shields like Rhode Island used to do to create the appearance of continuity.

Even if that's no longer allowed a NY 86 designation would be a lot cleaner than the current format.

Or at the very, very, very least sign "To 86"  from I-87, you would never know that NY 17 exit leads to an interstate. I-84 has an undesignated part of I-86 signed as 86, I'm assuming to make clear that the interchange is for an Interstate corridor despite the current SR designation at that point in the route. Even if that is determined to be a mistake, they should just slap a "to"  on there instead of covering it, and add a "To I-86"  at the I-87 interchange. Again both of these are if you don't just want to make it NY 86.

I really could care less how the route is signed on the roadways itself, what I really care about is that 86 (be it SR or I) is on the signage on 81, 84, 87, and 90. Continuity on the roadway itself (NY 86, possible black on white I-shields) is a bonus.

hotdogPi

Quote from: AMLNet49 on June 11, 2018, 02:43:15 AM
Even if that's no longer allowed a NY 86 designation would be a lot cleaner than the current format.

NY 86 already exists.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jon daly

They badly need to clean up this situation. Just rename SR 17 to SR 86 at this point. I've said this before, but put up fake (maybe black on white) Interstate shields like Rhode Island used to do to create the appearance of continuity.

When did RI do this?

PHLBOS

Quote from: jon daly on June 11, 2018, 06:33:29 AM
When did RI do this?
I believe he's referring to the white RI 195 shields that featured an outline of an Interstate shield (see below image for detail) which once graced the stretch of now-US 6 between I-295 & RI 10(?) during the mid-1980s.  Although that stretch was originally envisioned to be part of the easternmost leg of I-84.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Henry

Two decades, and they can't even get it all the way to Harriman! At least this is a more sensible location for the number than Hartford-Sturbridge.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

webny99

The completion of Prospect Mountain (this year? next year?) will be a major milestone.

jon daly

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 11, 2018, 08:57:50 AM

When did RI do this?
I believe he's referring to the white RI 195 shields that featured an outline of an Interstate shield (see below image for detail) which once graced the stretch of now-US 6 between I-295 & RI 10(?) during the mid-1980s.  Although that stretch was originally envisioned to be part of the easternmost leg of I-84.

Thanks. Were there plans to renumber that stretch of highway to I-195?

PHLBOS

Quote from: jon daly on June 11, 2018, 09:48:27 AM
When did RI do this?
Given the fact that those shields ironically were taken down (in favor of the relocated US 6) after the extension/connection to I-95 was completed; my guess would be no.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Rothman

Quote from: Henry on June 11, 2018, 09:40:34 AM
Two decades, and they can't even get it all the way to Harriman! At least this is a more sensible location for the number than Hartford-Sturbridge.
It is because the political will for I-86 dissipated and there are other priorities as conditions in NY are still projected to decline given current funding levels.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sparker

Quote from: Rothman on June 11, 2018, 12:28:34 PM
It is because the political will for I-86 dissipated and there are other priorities as conditions in NY are still projected to decline given current funding levels.

What should be done, IMHO, is to sign the segments of NY 17 between I-81 and I-87 that are (or near) Interstate standard as I-86 (including the approaches on I-84); as "spot" projects in the Catskills to deal with small deviations from those standards seem to be ongoing, this should not be an issue for problems that deal with yards rather than miles at a time.  Hale Eddy's going to be a long-term issue; and Rothman is correct -- absent a continuing push within NYDOT or their political handlers for resolution of this issue, it'll simply sit there untouched for quite some time.  The "solution", such as it is, would be to do what Caltrans did with I-5 in the Sacramento River Canyon before the final freeway projects commenced circa 1986 -- sign it as either "Temporary I-86" (the CA choice) or simply "TO I-86".  And unlike the I-5 segment in CA where previous designations had been decommissioned, they've still got the NY 17 number to utilize along with the interim I-86 signage (seeing as how NYDOT generally prefers to sign the corridor as a multiplex of both routes).  That should provide sufficient signage for both navigational purposes as well as any issues of legal designation -- and should do so for years to come until (hopefully) such time as actual completion of the corridor is re-prioritized.  There are more ways of dealing with a problem than simply ignoring it and hoping it'll fade from view! 

vdeane

I-84 has an undesignated part of I-86 signed as 86, I'm assuming to make clear that the interchange is for an Interstate corridor despite the current SR designation at that point in the route. Even if that is determined to be a mistake, they should just slap a "to"  on there instead of covering it, and add a "To I-86"  at the I-87 interchange.
I suspect those I-86 shields are supposed to be covered.  There are a TON of those on that stretch of I-84, all the way to NY 17K, complete with "end I-86" shields at either end, dating back to a reconstruction project a few years ago.  I personally suspect that it was intended to be signed as a third segment and wasn't for some reason.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 11, 2018, 10:00:55 AM
Quote from: jon daly on June 11, 2018, 09:48:27 AM
When did RI do this?
Given the fact that those shields ironically were taken down (in favor of the relocated US 6) after the extension/connection to I-95 was completed; my guess would be no.
Can confirm. It was RI 195 and the I-shield must have been done to signify it was a freeway.

AMLNet49

Quote from: 1 on June 11, 2018, 06:09:29 AM

NY 86 already exists.
So what? It's expendable for a pseudo-Interstate.

SectorZ

Five bucks says the 'dad' isn't in jail 20 years later...

froggie

Besides what Rothman posted, have you even bothered to look at the topography between Deposit and Hancock?  There's no easy (or inexpensive) way to retain access to those isolated pockets and make 17 fully controlled access, even if the political will was still there.  Nevermind that New York is a large state with a large state highway system and a huge population with plenty of pressing needs elsewhere...

The Ghostbuster

How much do you all want to bet that even 20 years from now, Interstate 86 still won't be complete?

seicer

The Ghostbuster

The website was last updated in 2013, so it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence to me that it will be built anytime soon.

froggie

Sherman:  I was aware of the older plan.  But it doesn't invalidate my earlier statement.

vdeane

I can remember looking at that page when it claimed construction would be this year.  Of course, that was before I-86 was put on indefinite hold.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: seicer on June 15, 2018, 05:38:55 PM
Adam: There is a plan to complete that segment: https://www.dot.ny.gov/regional-offices/region9/projects/nys-rte17-hale_eddy-hancock
...and there may always be.

There was a slight chance two years ago or so that Hale Eddy to Hancock was actually going to be in the MOU between NYSDOT and the Legislature.  It was rather quickly snuffed out as other projects took priority.  That was the last push for it I heard.  Hasn't been on the radar since.

Roadgeek Adam

Besides, I-86 is useless. Just live with NY 17
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.