News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Tunnel

Started by jakeroot, April 21, 2014, 06:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

Will someone drive through the tunnel when it opens, and report back on whether they consider the driving experience better/worse than the existing viaduct? It would be much appreciated.

jakeroot

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 04, 2019, 05:18:12 PM
Will someone drive through the tunnel when it opens, and report back on whether they consider the driving experience better/worse than the existing viaduct? It would be much appreciated.

I guarantee you that will happen almost immediately.

If I had to guess, the tunnel will be a far more enjoyable experience, though less visually stimulating.

compdude787

Quote from: jakeroot on January 04, 2019, 06:12:01 PM

I guarantee you that will happen almost immediately.

Yep, I plan on driving thru the new tunnel and filming the drive shortly after it opens.

Bruce

It's not hard to think of what the new tunnel will be like and how it will affect things:

It'll be a safer drive, given that there's a shoulder and you're not stranded on top of a collapse-ready freeway that could pancake and crush the lower decks. It won't relive downtown congestion, not by a long shot, and there will still be jams near the portals due to merges with downtown traffic; the Republican ramp is going to be a decent mess and help contribute to the Mercer Mess.

You'll lose the iconic skyline and waterfront view, but the waterfront area should be a lot quieter (at least once demolition is completed and the work on Colman Dock winds down). It will be a much more pleasant place to visit and probably crawling with tourists spilling over from Pike Place.

jakeroot

I was listening to a King 5 story this morning, and they pronounced Brougham as "bro-um"; two syllables. Are you guys above saying it should be one syllable? For example, "braum" ("braun" with an "m")?

I also listened to those Youtube videos a bit more closely. The narrator seems to say it correctly? qguy noticed this too.

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on January 05, 2019, 02:28:38 PM
I was listening to a King 5 story this morning, and they pronounced Brougham as "bro-um"; two syllables. Are you guys above saying it should be one syllable? For example, "braum" ("braun" with an "m")?

I also listened to those Youtube videos a bit more closely. The narrator seems to say it correctly? qguy noticed this too.

I pronounce it as "Braum". That's a closer approximation to what I've always heard.

US 89

qguy

Quote from: Bruce on January 05, 2019, 11:35:54 PM

I pronounce it as "Braum". That's a closer approximation to what I've always heard.

As far as I'm concerned, it's "supposed to be" pronounced however the locals choose to pronounce it.

Even in VER-sales.   :biggrin:

silverback1065

Quote from: qguy on January 06, 2019, 09:21:48 PM

As far as I'm concerned, it's "supposed to be" pronounced however the locals choose to pronounce it.

Even in VER-sales.   :biggrin:

in indiana we have a town called Russiaville. it's pronounced ROOsiaville

jakeroot

Quote from: qguy on January 06, 2019, 09:21:48 PM

It would be great if I could find even one snippet of Royal Brougham actually saying his own name, but I've not found such a thing. Until such a thing is found, no one will be sure.

The Merriam Webster pronunciation suggests two syllables, but there's still a ton of people suggesting it's one syllable on other websites.

rte66man

Quote from: US 89 on January 06, 2019, 12:52:19 AM
Braum
Mmm, ice cream... :sombrero:

+1. Could use some chocolate chip cookie dough in chocolate ice cream right now. Theirs is tasty!
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

jay8g

Last day of this view for me...

(Sadly, my camera doesn't take good night time pictures at all.)

Goodbye, Viaduct! Honestly, I won't really miss it... the next few weeks aren't going to be fun, however.

Bruce

Of all the time for my camera to die entirely...it was before the biggest traffic event in our region's history.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on January 11, 2019, 11:37:03 PM
Of all the time for my camera to die entirely...it was before the biggest traffic event in our region's history.

You figure anything out? That sucks.

Bruce

The viaduct is now officially closed, but there's still plenty of motorists still streaming on.

https://twitter.com/MorganKIRO7/status/1083967632385236993

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on January 12, 2019, 12:41:18 AM

I'm planning to buy a new camera set (T6, which is on sale at the moment), but given the sales tax situation I may just bus down to Portland to get it. Hopefully the traffic apocalypse stays bad long enough.

I'm planning to fall back on my old point and shoot for a little while.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on January 12, 2019, 01:06:59 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 12, 2019, 12:41:18 AM

I'm planning to buy a new camera set (T6, which is on sale at the moment), but given the sales tax situation I may just bus down to Portland to get it. Hopefully the traffic apocalypse stays bad long enough.

I'm planning to fall back on my old point and shoot for a little while.

I'm saving up for a camera myself, but trying to find one that does 4K video. If I didn't have that requirement, I could have found a camera a long time ago. Nothing like a drive to PDX for some tax savings!

Total block party out on the viaduct...no way this thing will be empty anytime soon!

https://twitter.com/Mindspand/status/1083973331475300352

Bruce

The very last car on the viaduct was allegedly a beat-up Subaru, which rolled off at 11:40 p.m.

https://twitter.com/paulstorms/status/1083991518006804481

The viaduct is officially closed to all public car traffic. Any it didn't even spill over into Saturday!

EDIT: The county sheriff posted some helicopter footage. Really gives you a good idea of the chaos.

kwellada

Quote from: jakeroot on January 12, 2019, 01:26:34 AM
I'm saving up for a camera myself, but trying to find one that does 4K video. If I didn't have that requirement, I could have found a camera a long time ago. Nothing like a drive to PDX for some tax savings!

I recently got the Canon EOS R.  I think it does 4k video, though cropped on the sensor (I rarely play with video, so I haven't even gotten around to seeing what all this new camera can do with that).  For still photography it's freaking amazing.  Now to pay it off over the coming year...

Hurricane Rex

Sad to see the viaduct go, but also excited for the next few weeks with this new toy we'll have.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Bruce

Bruce

Day One without the Viaduct wasn't too bad, thanks to people making alternate plans. Traffic even seemed to be a bit lighter.

It is a shame that the West Seattle bus routes skip potential stops in SODO, but I understand the desire not to overcrowd Link with transfers. Maybe once they're on the permanent 1st Avenue alignment, they'll get the stop near Jackson Street.

Plutonic Panda

That's so sad they're going to fill in the battery st tunnel. That concept to build a trail with some stores along it would have been so cool and unique.

Bruce

Sadly the tunnel would require somewhere around $200 million in seismic repairs, let alone other modifications. It would be cheaper to recreate the concept as a surface street (including the daylit creek, which could work with careful planning).

Plutonic Panda

Yeah that 200 million would probably be better spent on other pressing needs for Seattle. But wouldn't that be cool! East coast has the high line and the west coast has the low line. For some reason you think it'd be opposite. ;)

Good stuff happening up there anyways! Can't wait to check it out in person.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.