News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Road-Geeky Things Of The Past That You Miss...

Started by thenetwork, February 28, 2024, 02:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ran4sh

I guess I missed that guy getting banned, what did he get banned for?
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ran4sh on March 07, 2024, 10:37:58 PM
I guess I missed that guy getting banned, what did he get banned for?

He has an "in one" thread where the answer lies.

mrsman

Quote from: Rothman on March 06, 2024, 06:44:48 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 05, 2024, 04:46:49 PM
Quote from: lepidopteran on March 02, 2024, 08:40:21 PM
Looking at a road map, and being able to tell which roads were freeways [...] according to color.

*cough*
How, after all these years, did I not know that existed?
Hopfully, someoen can add a link to this from the aaroads homepage.

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on March 07, 2024, 01:13:59 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 07, 2024, 01:07:03 PM
I also think continuing to bring P13 up shows that he won in the end.

Sharing a commonly hated person among members of a community seems to serve as a bond between them.  So, in a sense, I suppose he won by bringing us all closer together.

So did Ethanman. He's been gone for well over a decade now and we still bring him up.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on March 07, 2024, 08:25:07 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 07, 2024, 03:52:48 PM
There's a little bit of the Finn inside each of us!
Now I'm imagining a demonic fish.

Or a fictional "Law & Order: SVU" detective.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

epzik8

Quote from: Takumi on March 10, 2024, 11:41:26 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 07, 2024, 01:07:03 PMI also think continuing to bring P13 up shows that he won in the end.

Sharing a commonly hated person among members of a community seems to serve as a bond between them.  So, in a sense, I suppose he won by bringing us all closer together.

So did Ethanman. He's been gone for well over a decade now and we still bring him up.

Just based on those two sentences, I really regret missing this fellow.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: epzik8 on April 23, 2024, 09:08:34 PM
Quote from: Takumi on March 10, 2024, 11:41:26 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 07, 2024, 01:07:03 PMI also think continuing to bring P13 up shows that he won in the end.

Just based on those two sentences, I really regret missing this fellow.

Consider how much Calrog is brought up still.  The theory that having a common "enemy" brings the road community together seems to have time tested merit.

SEWIGuy

If you want to see what P13 is up to...

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/threads/the-poiponen13-thread.12558/

They even created his own topic! It all reads very familiar.

dlsterner

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 23, 2024, 09:57:07 PMIf you want to see what P13 is up to...

Interesting that when P13 was on this board, they branched off into football and "floorball" scheduling -- but on that board, P13 never branched off into road geek stuff  :hmmm:   (I will admit that I didn't read every post)

Scott5114

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 23, 2024, 09:57:07 PMIf you want to see what P13 is up to...

Quote from: Ellisref at NonLeagueMattersI think he's a politician as he never answers a direct question :(
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dlsterner on April 24, 2024, 01:18:02 AM

Interesting that when P13 was on this board, they branched off into football and "floorball" scheduling -- but on that board, P13 never branched off into road geek stuff  :hmmm:   (I will admit that I didn't read every post)

Oh but he did.  His insights into the use of toilets largely contributed to his downfall.

vdeane

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 23, 2024, 09:15:30 PMConsider how much Calrog is brought up still.  The theory that having a common "enemy" brings the viatology community together seems to have time tested merit.
FTFY
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

It's like Calvinball, but with 99% less fun and enthusiasm.

mgk920

Dropping Banknotes that were entered at www(dot)wheresgeorge(dot)com at tollgates during road trips and seeing where they report back from.   :cool:

Mike

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: dlsterner on April 24, 2024, 01:18:02 AM

TBF, I seem to recall him mentioning (just before his ban here) that he wasn't "as interested in roads anymore" or something like that.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

mgk920

Quote from: Rothman on April 24, 2024, 07:27:28 PMWhere's George is still up and running.

But cash payments at tollgates are not so much.  :no:

Mike

bing101

I miss the Union 76 Clock Tower between former Highway 480 at I-80 Bay Bridge in San Francisco. I remember this as a kid when I lived in the city. It was a roadgeek favorite.

That location is now One Rincon Hill towers in San Francisco that took the spot of the former CA-480 ramp and former Union 76 Tower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Rincon_Hill

triplemultiplex

As much as a LOVE panning around on Google Earth and the like and enjoy it when there is new imagery to browse, I have a pang of nostalgia for the days before the ubiquity of such online resources and my efforts to keep our copy of the Delorme atlas for Wisconsin updated amid a flurry of rural expressway/freeway construction in the state.

The only method at my disposal from the back seat was to have a pencil and lightly make notes as we were driving a new alignment approximating where we were based on the landmarks I could see.  Then I'd go back with whiteout and pen once we got home and make the changes permanent.  The pencil was crucial because I could erase my crude sketch before committing it to pen with a nice flat desk to work on.

I drew many a new bypass fairly accurately in this manner, particularly along WI 29 and US 10.  I want to say I got really close with my rendering of the WI 29 bypass of Shawano and Bonduel when I compared it to aerials years later.  This was also how I tracked the freeway conversion of US 41 between Milwaukee and Oshkosh throughout the 90s.

I still use pen and whiteout to keep my old Delorme atlas current.  (I really like the cartography in those old atlases.)  But it's so much easier to do it with aerials on a screen in front of me.  Still, I admire the ambition I had and the tinge of excitement when the annual Thanksgiving trip to Milwaukee neared.  Because I knew I would see what progress had been made that summer.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Shedingtonian

Quote from: triplemultiplex on Today at 11:09:32 AMAs much as a LOVE panning around on Google Earth and the like and enjoy it when there is new imagery to browse, I have a pang of nostalgia for the days before the ubiquity of such online resources and my efforts to keep our copy of the Delorme atlas for Wisconsin updated amid a flurry of rural expressway/freeway construction in the state.

The only method at my disposal from the back seat was to have a pencil and lightly make notes as we were driving a new alignment approximating where we were based on the landmarks I could see.  Then I'd go back with whiteout and pen once we got home and make the changes permanent.  The pencil was crucial because I could erase my crude sketch before committing it to pen with a nice flat desk to work on.

I drew many a new bypass fairly accurately in this manner, particularly along WI 29 and US 10.  I want to say I got really close with my rendering of the WI 29 bypass of Shawano and Bonduel when I compared it to aerials years later.  This was also how I tracked the freeway conversion of US 41 between Milwaukee and Oshkosh throughout the 90s.

I still use pen and whiteout to keep my old Delorme atlas current.  (I really like the cartography in those old atlases.)  But it's so much easier to do it with aerials on a screen in front of me.  Still, I admire the ambition I had and the tinge of excitement when the annual Thanksgiving trip to Milwaukee neared.  Because I knew I would see what progress had been made that summer.

That's made me smile, it's pretty heartwarming. I remember when I also drew on my maps, but instead of drawing newly built roads, I drew traced over routes that I wanted to drive on. The fact that you still draw on that old map, I really like that dedication, heheh!
Fictional maps, road signs, video game projects... Visit Shedingtonian's Virtual Dump,
and read the blog to keep up to date with what's going on with me.

And yes, I'm still studying civil engineering.

epzik8

Quote from: mgk920 on April 24, 2024, 06:45:27 PMDropping Banknotes that were entered at www(dot)wheresgeorge(dot)com at tollgates during road trips and seeing where they report back from.   :cool:

Mike

Haha I remember getting one of those as change in Florida one time, filling out the report online and then spending it.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.