News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSR_317

Quote from: cjw2001 on December 01, 2019, 12:23:14 PM
96th and Priority Way - completed
96th and Gray - completed
96th and Hazel Dell - completed
96th and Delegates Row - under construction
96th and Haverstick - scheduled in 2020
Many thanks!

silverback1065

Quote from: SSR_317 on December 09, 2019, 08:16:21 PM
Many thanks!

check here for updates
http://carmellink.com/

tdindy88

I'd thought I give a few updates on some of the projects in Central Indiana that I have observed over the past few days given some free time I have.

I'll start with Keystone and 96th, it appears to be mainly finished. I don't know if it's still something with the construction but I notice that you will still have to stop at the off-ramp onto Keystone. I would have thought that there might be some channelization so that traffic didn't have to stop coming off of 465 west toward northbound Keystone. Maybe I'm missing something. Southbound Keystone traffic passes over 96th Street and runs straight into the ramps for 465. Notably, there's a pair of one-arrow-per-lane signs directing traffic exiting to either I-465 or southbound Keystone Avenue (from 96th Street.) Signs like this are still very rare in Indiana but I think the state is going to start using them more, at least where it's applicable.

Here's a northbound view along Keystone at 96th.

Now the southbound view with the monotube gantries mentioned earlier on this thread.

And then the one-arrow-per-lane signage at the ramp for I-465 east and Keystone Avenue

Next up, I-69 has been expanded to six lanes from between Pendleton and Anderson, opening up within the past couple of weeks. This now means that I-69 is six lanes or wider for the first 26 miles north of I-465 which to me is rather incredible. Back when I went to school at Ball State I-69 was six lanes for only the first five miles. A further project rebuilt a four-lane stretch of interstate from Anderson to Daleville, a particularly pothole-prone stretch of roadway that took out many cars last winter. All of these projects have created a smooth and modern freeway all the way from Indianapolis to Anderson and Muncie. The upcoming interchange project at I-465 and I-69 is likely the last part of the upgrade of this busy corridor.

First, a shot of the new pedestrian bridge over I-69 at SR 38 in Pendleton. The interchange was rebuilt with roundabouts this past year.

Next, a view of southbound I-69 at Exit 226, the beginning of the six-lane section of I-69.

I-69 at Exit 222.

Finally, I remember I-70 being mentioned not too long ago. I drove that roadway out to Richmond yesterday. I am now very curious what exactly was done on that roadway from Indy to Ohio that necessitated the backed up traffic that a source of problems earlier this year. I don't know about the road around Richmond but across a lot of Henry County there's already plenty of potholes on the roadway going east. This could be a problem highway this coming winter.

ibthebigd

I feel like they are always working on I-74 from the Ohio line to Greensburg. I am hoping this last project will fix 74 for awhile.

SM-G950U

2trailertrucker

Quote from: ibthebigd on December 29, 2019, 06:58:42 AM
I feel like they are always working on I-74 from the Ohio line to Greensburg. I am hoping this last project will fix 74 for awhile.

SM-G950U

I-74 and I-64 are Indiana's forgotten interstates. The work has been needed for years due to neglect.  The problem with Indiana's cone zones are that they are not planned smartly, leading to back ups and accidents. Compared to Kentucky and Ohio (widening of I-65 & I-70 where if you drive the speed limit, you were backing up traffic) it seems that Indiana's contractors or INDOT never did this before.

It is well needed, but it could have been planned better.

silverback1065

i wish indot would put the 38 shield on exit 222, since 38 does go that way now.  :banghead:

paulthemapguy

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 30, 2019, 07:55:31 AM
i wish indot would put the 38 shield on exit 222, since 38 does go that way now.  :banghead:

Exit 222 off of which Interstate?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

silverback1065

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 30, 2019, 09:58:22 AM

Exit 222 off of which Interstate?

Finrod

INDOT does seem to be going to ridiculous lengths these days to remove state roads from going through cities.  How many more miles did they add to SR 38 just to remove it from downtown Pendleton?
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Flint1979

Quote from: Finrod on December 30, 2019, 04:43:15 PM
INDOT does seem to be going to ridiculous lengths these days to remove state roads from going through cities.  How many more miles did they add to SR 38 just to remove it from downtown Pendleton?
It added about 4 miles to SR-38. It's about 2 miles across Pendleton and the routing of SR-38 is about 6 miles from the starting point to the ending point.

Flint1979

Did they do that just to remove SR-38 from Pendleton? It looks very similar to how all the US highways go around Indianapolis instead of through it.

tdindy88

At least they didn't just create a gap in SR 38 like they did with SR 44 in Franklin. I was in Franklin a few days ago. They can't even have an "To SR 44" signs along Jefferson and King Streets. If you're traveling from Martinsville to Shelbvyille and relying just on route signage, good luck. And all of this just to have Franklin beautify the street through their downtown.

There is a lone SR 38 shield at the northbound approach to Exit 222 to direct cars that way around Pendleton but there may not be any for the southbound approach. They redid all the guide signs along that stretch I would think that would have given them in opportunity to add SR 38 shields at that exit on the guide signage. Also, Exit 218 continues to just have the SR 38 shield, not SR 38 West on it like it should.

silverback1065

I think it was pendleton's request so they could ban trucks through downtown.  i remember seeing this on the old indiana route ends site. i miss that site  :-(

Flint1979

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 30, 2019, 07:01:45 PM
I think it was pendleton's request so they could ban trucks through downtown.  i remember seeing this on the old indiana route ends site. i miss that site  :-(
That makes sense I was trying to find if that was the reason or not online but couldn't find out the reason.

cjw2001

Quote from: SSR_317 on December 09, 2019, 08:16:21 PM
Many thanks!
96th and Delegates Row - roundabout is now open

cjw2001

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 29, 2019, 06:54:45 AM
I'd thought I give a few updates on some of the projects in Central Indiana that I have observed over the past few days given some free time I have.

I'll start with Keystone and 96th, it appears to be mainly finished. I don't know if it's still something with the construction but I notice that you will still have to stop at the off-ramp onto Keystone. I would have thought that there might be some channelization so that traffic didn't have to stop coming off of 465 west toward northbound Keystone. Maybe I'm missing something. Southbound Keystone traffic passes over 96th Street and runs straight into the ramps for 465. Notably, there's a pair of one-arrow-per-lane signs directing traffic exiting to either I-465 or southbound Keystone Avenue (from 96th Street.) Signs like this are still very rare in Indiana but I think the state is going to start using them more, at least where it's applicable.

Here's a northbound view along Keystone at 96th.

The 96th street roundabout interchange officially opened today - the cover is now off the sign in the northbound quoted picture.   The covered sign was for 98th street traffic as well as westbound 96th.   To exit on 98th you have to first get off at the interchange for 96th then proceed up the ramp for northbound keystone after going through the roundabout.

silverback1065

The 65/MLK West St. interchange will be widened slightly this year.  New signs will be posted, one will be an "arrow per lane" one on 65. Just the SB exit and entrance ramps will be affected.

nwi_navigator_1181

The first major road closure has been announced for Northwest Indiana, and it will affect those who travel between Valparaiso and Hebron regularly (will likely affect Winfield residents too).

Next week, Indiana 2 will be closed at the intersection with County Road 100 South (which is 109th Avenue when entering Lake County) for utility pole relocation. This will be in preparation for the longer closure set for this intersection from May to late October. When finished, the angled intersection will be replaced with a much safer roundabout.

Just further southwest, the intersection of Indiana 2 and County Road 500 West will be realigned for safety improvements and better sight lines. Currently, the roads meet at a sharp angle and is only marked by flashing lights (yellow for Indiana 2, red for 500 W), along with a high school just south of the intersection, making school traffic add to the danger.

The official detour calls for traffic to use Indiana 49 and Indiana 8 to go from Valparaiso to Hebron (and vice versa).
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

pianocello

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on February 07, 2020, 12:03:01 AM
The first major road closure has been announced for Northwest Indiana, and it will affect those who travel between Valparaiso and Hebron regularly (will likely affect Winfield residents too).

Next week, Indiana 2 will be closed at the intersection with County Road 100 South (which is 109th Avenue when entering Lake County) for utility pole relocation. This will be in preparation for the longer closure set for this intersection from May to late October. When finished, the angled intersection will be replaced with a much safer roundabout.

Just further southwest, the intersection of Indiana 2 and County Road 500 West will be realigned for safety improvements and better sight lines. Currently, the roads meet at a sharp angle and is only marked by flashing lights (yellow for Indiana 2, red for 500 W), along with a high school just south of the intersection, making school traffic add to the danger.

The official detour calls for traffic to use Indiana 49 and Indiana 8 to go from Valparaiso to Hebron (and vice versa).

Whoa, I'm surprised they were able to secure right of way at the 100S intersection, I remember there being houses pretty close to the road there. Locals aren't going to be happy about the closure, but the intersections are going to be a hell of a lot safer and easier for side street traffic to use once they're complete.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

silverback1065

Looks like the 469/US 24 interchange will likely become a cloverleaf, just drove the new ramp and it's very nice!

ibthebigd

Lilly Endowment to fund study of reconstruction options for inner loop https://www.ibj.com/articles/lilly-endowment-to-fund-study-of-reconstruction-options-for-inner-loop

Thoughts on what INDOT should do with the 65/70 Inner Loop

SM-G950U

silverback1065

Quote from: ibthebigd on February 13, 2020, 07:07:45 PM
Lilly Endowment to fund study of reconstruction options for inner loop https://www.ibj.com/articles/lilly-endowment-to-fund-study-of-reconstruction-options-for-inner-loop

Thoughts on what INDOT should do with the 65/70 Inner Loop

SM-G950U

This study will not involve the reconstruction of the north split that is scheduled to happen this fall.  I would rethink how 70 comes in from the south and the south split.  Fix some of the roadway connections there.  Also do something about the Virginia Ave. ramp, it enters from the left with 0 merge area!

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: pianocello on February 08, 2020, 02:14:08 PMWhoa, I'm surprised they were able to secure right of way at the 100S intersection, I remember there being houses pretty close to the road there. Locals aren't going to be happy about the closure, but the intersections are going to be a hell of a lot safer and easier for side street traffic to use once they're complete.

Due to the rough weather that transpired last week, the closure has been pushed to this Friday and will last for two weeks. I like to see a map of the roundabout, because the angle is so tight that one (if not both) of the roads have to be re-angled to make it work.

I also wouldn't be surprised if INODT decided to lengthen the 45 mph zone to just west of this future roundabout.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

ysuindy

A tanker truck carrying jet fuel overturned on the ramp from 465 south to 70 east on the east side of Indy this afternoon.  Driver was pulled from the wreckage and is reported to be in critical condition.  The ramp is closed and eastbound 70 is closed under the bridge at this time.

This tweet has pictures of the wreckage and road damage

https://twitter.com/INDOTEast/status/1230595696866320389

ysuindy

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.