News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Welcome! / Re: Forum functionality issues
Last post by formulanone - Today at 07:54:11 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 24, 2024, 11:40:50 PM
Quote from: formulanone on April 24, 2024, 02:39:54 PMI found a silly item in my profile that won't seem to go away.

The username info in the Skype field doesn't seem to fully disappear; you can remove it, but then it eventually comes back after any profile changes.

I forget if I ever actually filled in that information because I haven't used Skype in over 10 years.

I just manually removed it for you.  Hopefully this will stick. ;)

So far, so good; thanks!
Northeast / Re: General PA Design/Construc...
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 07:38:06 AM
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Ohio
Last post by Rothman - Today at 07:13:13 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 03:46:06 AMAssuming the references to Lady Bird are to the Lady Bird Johnson Highway Beautification Act, I just read through it (it's at 23 USC 131), and it looks like it mostly concentrates on billboard suppression. Don't see anything about landscaping in that specific law.

Whether or not it was included in the actual Highway Beautification Act, to deny Lady Bird's influence on current FHWA policy regarding sustainable landscaping along highways is denying quite easily Googled history.

I mean...sure, it started with essentially bribing superintendents in Texas, but, 60 years later, DOTs have to take five seconds to check that waiver box in the environmental documentation... :D

But, have to say I'm supportive of NYSDOT's current efforts in this regard, though.  It is possible to plant wildflowers and support declining pollinators while maintaining a clear zone.  It's fairly cheap, too.

Not sure why people would be against it, xome to think of it.  "But the clear zone!"  "Yeah, it's clear...so, why do you hate it now?"  "Because I was just indoctrinated to hate anything that sounds green without thinking any further about benefits or costs!"
Southeast / Re: Interstate 73/74
Last post by Rothman - Today at 06:57:08 AM
Quote from: jdunlop on April 24, 2024, 08:42:15 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 22, 2024, 11:00:12 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on April 22, 2024, 10:19:47 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on April 11, 2024, 08:37:28 PMI don't get the need for full access at all 3 interchanges.

I was wondering this as well. Who is going from I-40 westbound to I-74 westbound or eastbound, or I-74 (either direction) to I-40 EB? There are no plans to continue the beltway south/west, right? Seems like a massive interchange for very little traffic.
I agree... I can understand the ramps for redundancy, but 2 lane flyovers seem a bit excessive. Well... at least they will never be congested!

FHWA requires full movement at all Interstate interchanges (with very few exceptions) hence the redundant ramps.

When I-481 is converted to I-81, its connection from I-81 SB to BL-81 NB will no longer be direct as I-481 SB to I-81 NB is now, despite BL-81 still being limited access north of the interchange.
Traffic Control / Re: 1-2-3 Route number Additio...
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 06:23:39 AM
1463 = 732 + 731 (SR 732 at SR 731 in Prince George, VA)(https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219696286638189&set=a.10219696357719966

Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Ohio
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 03:46:06 AM
Assuming the references to Lady Bird are to the Lady Bird Johnson Highway Beautification Act, I just read through it (it's at 23 USC 131), and it looks like it mostly concentrates on billboard suppression. Don't see anything about landscaping in that specific law.
Mountain West / Re: I-40/US 93 West Kingman In...
Last post by Sonic99 - Today at 02:23:25 AM
It's a battle for the funding. There's some HUGE projects all across the state that could all be argued "should be next up" without even getting into the pavement projects that are so desperately needed everywhere (that the rural Arizonan's SCREAM about on every ADOT Social Media post).

Currently underway:
I-10 Broadway Curve
I-17 between Anthem and Sunset Point

Starting soon:
This US 93/I-40 partial interchange
I-10 between Chandler and Casa Grande

Desperately needed:
SR 30 across Southwest Valley
US 93/I-11 between Lake Mead and Phoenix
Completion of the 303/I-17 interchange

ADOT only has a finite amount of money each year, so figuring out which giant project gets the $$ for that year is a fight that there's no winning.
Southeast / Re: Interstate 73/74
Last post by TheStranger - Today at 01:43:59 AM
Quote from: jdunlop on April 24, 2024, 08:42:15 PMFHWA requires full movement at all Interstate interchanges (with very few exceptions) hence the redundant ramps.

Is this something introduced in the last 15-20 years, in which the interstate-to-interstate connection must include direct ramps between all directions?

I ask this because I can think of many interstate-to-interstate junctions that don't have this, usually a bypass route and its parent (i.e. for a California example, I-405 and I-5 at both ends in Sylmar and Irvine respectively, in which Route 118 and Route 133 serve the missing movements nearby).

There are some examples of Interstate-to-interstate in North Carolina that do not have this:

I-40/former I-85 (US 29) in Greensboro, in which the missing 85 north to 40 west move was covered by US 220. Junction was built when both routes were Interstates, before the Greensboro urban loop/I-840 happened

I-285/I-85 in Lexington, grandfathered in as I-285 was not originally interstate.  Standard Y junction

I-40/I-840/I-85 in eastern Greensboro, I-40 east from the Death Valley section does not have any ramp to 85 south

I-795 and I-587, though the Interstate designations came after both freeways were originally constructed.

Off-Topic / Re: Technology Random Access T...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 01:03:23 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on Today at 12:20:13 AMWhat sort of witchcraft is being performed to make a network socket behave like a file? Makes file transfer really freaking easy in C.

That's how Unix works—everything is a file, even devices. (Look in your /dev directory and there they all are.) You send data to a device by writing to the file that corresponds to the device. This means you can do some kind of amazing stuff very simply. You can make a white noise generator by reading /dev/random and writing it to the speakers, for instance.

Since C is native to Unix, it just kept the same metaphor.
Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by TBKS1 - Today at 01:01:41 AM
FL 41 -> FL 482 off of I-4 in Orlando (taken 26 March 2024)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.