News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Very unusual street suffixes

Started by DSS5, October 14, 2015, 10:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

interstatefan990

Alley (Aly) and Terrace (Ter).
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

kphoger

Quote from: KCRoadFan on March 17, 2021, 09:21:34 PM
Seems like Indianapolis is a hotbed for streets with multiple suffixes, boasting such gems as:

• East and West Fall Creek Parkway North Drive
  • North White River Parkway West Drive
  • Priority Way West Drive
  • Priority Way South Drive
  • East and West Pleasant Run Parkway North Drive
  • Brookside Parkway North Drive
  • Brookside Parkway South Drive
  • Kessler Boulevard West Drive
  • Kessler Boulevard East Drive

Are those cases of the Drive being a spur from the main road?  Kind of like Rock Road Court being a spur of Rock Road here in Wichita?

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 17, 2021, 09:28:03 PM
Alley (Aly) and Terrace (Ter).

I take it you haven't spent much time in the Kansas City area, if you think Terrace is "very unusual".

As for Alley, the only town I can think of offhand where it's common is the small military town of Ogden, KS.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2021, 09:30:03 AM
As for Alley, the only town I can think of offhand where it's common is the small military town of Ogden, KS.

May I suggest Boston? (Hint: use "Public" as the nominative element in every case.) ;-)

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on March 18, 2021, 02:14:52 PM

May I suggest Boston? (Hint: use "Public" as the nominative element in every case.) ;-)
Northampton, MA has at least one: Crackerbarrell Alley.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

interstatefan990

I take it you haven't spent much time in the Kansas City area, if you think Terrace is "very unusual".

You're right. I haven't. But then again, it seems like a lot of people on this thread are replying with suffixes that are uncommon in their area, but not in others.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

empirestate

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 19, 2021, 05:26:44 PM
You're right. I haven't. But then again, it seems like a lot of people on this thread are replying with suffixes that are uncommon in their area, but not in others.

What area do you have in mind, where "alley" and "terrace" are unusual? (Like yourself, I'm in New York, where both are very common–I'd go so far as to say standard, along with "boulevard" or "drive" or "parkway".)

Scott5114

In Oklahoma, alleys in general are typically only seen in the oldest parts of cities, are seldom named, and almost never signed. The only exceptions are when the city wants to name something small and out-of-the-way after someone (like Flaming Lips Alley in Oklahoma City).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

How about the three sides of Central Park using cardinal Directions unlike the east side which retains Fifth Avenue and it one way status as West Side Eighth Avenue not only gives up its name for Central Park West, but becomes a two way street as well.

You have Central Park West, Central Park North, and Central Park South.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on March 22, 2021, 11:20:30 AM
How about the three sides of Central Park using cardinal Directions unlike the east side which retains Fifth Avenue and it one way status as West Side Eighth Avenue not only gives up its name for Central Park West, but becomes a two way street as well.

You have Central Park West, Central Park North, and Central Park South.

You have this around other park as well. I used to live on Van Cortlandt Avenue West, which not only runs into but is also parallel with Van Cortlandt Park South. Another major street in the area is Van Cortlandt Park East, which is not to be confused with the relatively minor Van Cortlandt Avenue East. (What would be Van Cortlandt Park West is in fact Broadway.)

Yeah, giving directions or getting deliveries was pretty fraught in those days. :-)

kenarmy

is this uncommon im so confused?? In Bolton, MS this happens. And the road is officially listed as just "Rye". And the official address of the city hall is Rye, Bolton, MS.  :confused:
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

empirestate

Quote from: kenarmy on April 04, 2021, 12:15:52 PM
is this uncommon im so confused?? In Bolton, MS this happens. And the road is officially listed as just "Rye". And the official address of the city hall is Rye, Bolton, MS.  :confused:

I can't find an official website for the town hall, but the only addresses I'm seeing listed from directory sites are either PO Box 7, or 202 Raymond Bolton Road.

kenarmy

Quote from: empirestate on April 04, 2021, 06:17:27 PM
Quote from: kenarmy on April 04, 2021, 12:15:52 PM

I can't find an official website for the town hall, but the only addresses I'm seeing listed from directory sites are either PO Box 7, or 202 Raymond Bolton Road.
I see a difference in the "city" and "town" hall address.. and if it means anything, Rye is listed here: https://geographic.org/streetview/usa/ms/hinds/bolton.html
I've been to that nearby church several times and I never saw a Rye sign and I thought it was just a glorified driveway/ parking lot.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Scott5114

Probably just crocky data from Google. Doesn't show up in USPS data.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

empirestate

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 04, 2021, 09:55:52 PM
Probably just crocky data from Google. Doesn't show up in USPS data.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The most official reference I can find is this one, a second-hand source.

(This feels like a mapping challenge for the USGS' citizen map corps.) :)

KCRoadFan

Just south of Tucson, AZ, I saw a subdivision of streets with the suffix "Wog."  (I'm guessing that word means something in one of the local Indian languages in the area - right?)

kphoger

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 04, 2021, 08:26:14 PM
Just south of Tucson, AZ, I saw a subdivision of streets with the suffix "Wog."  (I'm guessing that word means something in one of the local Indian languages in the area - right?)

The best I can do on this side of paywalls is the snippet below, which suggests "wog" means "road" in the Tohono O'odham language.

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Skye

I know of one street in Cincinnati which uses "Rue" and uses it first in the name "Rue De La Paix" which at the very least I think is a bit unusual for this part of the country as it was primarily settled by Germans.

Pink Jazz

"Loop" seems to be common in New Mexico.

kiwislark

Hill, Rise, Crest, Views, Heights, Green, Landing, Grove, Cove, Mews, Row, Point, Gardens, Spa, Glade, Vale, and Park are all suffixes I know of that are in use in New Zealand

Brae and Fen have been used as suffixes in suburbs inspired by Scottish place names.

Esplanade or Parade are common along beach fronts/coastal areas.

"The Furlong", "The Glen", "The Rosebowl", "The Anchorage", "The Strand", and "The Promenade" are street names that I know of in Auckland.

We have our own "Broadway" and also similar one-word street names such as "Meadway" and "Treeway".

7/8

Quote from: andrepoiy on March 16, 2021, 12:59:01 PM
Quote from: ahj2000 on March 16, 2021, 03:45:19 AM
Oh-also The East Mall and the West Mall in Toronto
The Queensway and Queensway also exist

Another good Toronto example is Queens Quay on the lakeshore (pronounced "key" - you hear tourists say "kway" :))

Quote from: Dave on March 24, 2020, 09:39:38 AM
I live in Ashe County NC where there are several NVNO roads.  After seeing this post, I did a little research because I could think of numerous "odd" street suffixes.  This site lists quite a few that no one else has mentioned -- https://pe.usps.com/text/pub28/28apc_002.htm.

Interesting that that link doesn't have "line". It's very common in parts of Ontario, particularly rural areas. Here's some examples:
Brown's Line in Toronto: https://goo.gl/maps/TnhUo7UMPyhoZfA37
Tenth Line in suburban Mississauga: https://goo.gl/maps/h57zMDhxKYAZp8s57
Confederation Line through the rural town of Wyoming: https://goo.gl/maps/fNi5XNgbW2kkGYPg9
Line 60 in rural North Perth: https://goo.gl/maps/fGgSx2TEWLQ9Bzfo6

I'm assuming that it's less common in the US, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 15, 2015, 07:45:22 AM

As I think about it further, I'm reminded of Brockett's Crossing in Fairfax County and Rebel Run in Fairfax City. The latter is adjacent to Fairfax High School, whose teams are the Rebels. I haven't heard any nonsense about renaming it during the current little fad of renaming Confederate references.

Rebel Run has, not surprisingly, now been renamed. It's now "Lion Run," so I guess Fairfax High School's teams are now the Lions. At some point well over 30 years ago, the school had gotten rid of any Confederate symbolism and had used imagery from the Revolution era in connection with the name "Rebels," but I guess the mere word is to be considered unacceptable nowadays. (On the whole, from a political theory standpoint the conflict often called the American Revolution was in many ways more of a "rebellion" than it was a "revolution" when you compare it with the French or Russian Revolutions).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

empirestate

Quote from: 7/8 on August 18, 2021, 08:33:33 AM
Another good Toronto example is Queens Quay on the lakeshore (pronounced "key" - you hear tourists say "kway" :))

Which is interesting, as that pronunciation of "quay" is not at all unique to Toronto, nor even Canada!

7/8

Quote from: empirestate on August 18, 2021, 09:58:02 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on August 18, 2021, 08:33:33 AM

Which is interesting, as that pronunciation of "quay" is not at all unique to Toronto, nor even Canada!

Maybe I'm full of crap and justifying the fact that I thought it was "kway" as a kid :-D. Though I should've said some tourists, as I'm sure some people don't know the word quay.

kphoger

I've never heard the word said aloud before, so I'd have said kway.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.