News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The "Father of the DDI" Defends Left Hand Exit and Entrance Ramps

Started by kernals12, February 26, 2021, 08:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

Quote from: US 89 on February 26, 2021, 12:06:52 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on February 26, 2021, 12:03:57 PM
Quote from: 1 on February 26, 2021, 11:35:45 AM
There's space to put ramps on the outside of a freeway. It's much harder to put ramps on the inside.

Most rural freeways have wide medians

FTFY. I cannot think of a single urban freeway in either the Salt Lake or Atlanta area (the two metros I frequent most) with big enough medians to fit new left-exit ramps in.

I-93 has a good sized median north of Boston.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kernals12 on February 26, 2021, 12:11:05 PM
There's space to put ramps on the outside of a freeway. It's much harder to put ramps on the inside.

FTFY. I cannot think of a single urban freeway in either the Salt Lake or Atlanta area (the two metros I frequent most) with big enough medians to fit new left-exit ramps in.

I'm not seeing anything near wide enough to put a ramp until you get into New Hampshire, with the exception of a short segment just north of MA 125 that doesn't have any cross streets to interchange with.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kernals12

Quote from: 1 on February 26, 2021, 12:14:21 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on February 26, 2021, 12:11:05 PM

I'm not seeing anything near wide enough to put a ramp until you get into New Hampshire, with the exception of a short segment just north of MA 125 that doesn't have any cross streets to interchange with.

The most common reason for using left hand ramps is to reduce ROW requirements. A combined northbound exit and southbound entrance ramp will take up less space than if they used separate ones.

interstatefan990

The "median" on most urban freeways I drive usually amounts to a tall concrete barrier.

On some stretches of freeway where I drive, it's literally just a guardrail.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

jeffandnicole

Well, understand that highways are built with ramp locations in mind.  You are all looking at *existing* highways that don't have space in the median for ramps.  Build a new highway from scratch, and you could much more easily design it with ramps in the median, vs on the right.

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 26, 2021, 01:34:23 PM
Well, understand that highways are built with ramp locations in mind.  You are all looking at *existing* highways that don't have space in the median for ramps.  Build a new highway from scratch, and you could much more easily design it with ramps in the median, vs on the right.

Or modify a highway, for that matter. The I-495 HO/T lanes in Virginia use almost entirely left-side ramps, with a few exceptions in the Tysons Corner area. That was a case of an existing road that generally had no median being rebuilt into a wider road that still has no median but has the express lanes down the middle with their ramps shoehorned in. (In a sense, it was similar to how it would be if the Jersey Turnpike's "dual-dual" format were extended all the way to the southern terminus, but the "inner drive" ramps were constructed on the left instead of on the right. Not a perfect analogy, but similar conceptually.)

With that said, not surprisingly the OP still hasn't responded to my point about the "passing lane" problem.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

interstatefan990

What about left exits that lead to a freeway-to-freeway ramp? You could theoretically exit left and then have a flyover/other ramp to a normal right-side merge. I imagine it would be much more costly to construct a right-side exit ramp for certain layouts of freeways, like where the other road is far left of the original one. I'm sure there are real-life examples of this.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

1995hoo

BTW, I can think of a place where left- and right-side onramps enter at essentially the same location: https://goo.gl/maps/55VDBhN3LkKZ2wAC7

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kernals12

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 26, 2021, 02:18:58 PM

Or modify a highway, for that matter. The I-495 HO/T lanes in Virginia use almost entirely left-side ramps, with a few exceptions in the Tysons Corner area. That was a case of an existing road that generally had no median being rebuilt into a wider road that still has no median but has the express lanes down the middle with their ramps shoehorned in. (In a sense, it was similar to how it would be if the Jersey Turnpike's "dual-dual" format were extended all the way to the southern terminus, but the "inner drive" ramps were constructed on the left instead of on the right. Not a perfect analogy, but similar conceptually.)

With that said, not surprisingly the OP still hasn't responded to my point about the "passing lane" problem.

Actually I did respond

kphoger

Quote from: kernals12 on February 26, 2021, 11:31:44 AM
I mean that if left hand ramps were the norm, then for safety reasons, the passing lane would be the right lane for the same reason that the left lane is the passing lane in our world where right hand ramps are the norm

I'm not entire sure it would.  On two-lane roads, one would still pass on the left.  It would be a strange situation in which pass on the left is the norm on some highways but pass on the right is the norm on others.  Strange enough that it might not even develop.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kernals12 on February 26, 2021, 02:56:19 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 26, 2021, 02:18:58 PM

Actually I did respond

Actually, you didn't.

hbelkins

I don't really have an issue with left exits, given they're adequately signed. Heck, right exits can be problematic if they aren't signed well in advance. Years ago, I was traveling in Tennessee on I-81 and was unable to exit because the first exit sign was a 1-mile advance, I was in the left lane passing trucks, and there was not a suitable gap in traffic for me to get over to the right lane until I was right at the exit. So I had to go to the next exit and backtrack on surface routes, which was more of a minor annoyance than a terrible inconvenience.

But left entrances ... aargh. The two I probably hate most are I-66 west onto I-81 south, and the infamous Poughkeepsie "bowtie."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Poughkeepsie bowtie would have worked well...if traffic volumes hadn't climbed.  I like that interchange. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kernals12

From an article about the Illinois DOT's plans to remove Oak Park's infamous left exits

Quote"Even highway exits go to the left in Oak Park,"  goes the old joke. In 1961, Oak Park's then-village president J. Russell Christianson lobbied hard to get left-hand exits when the "Congress Expressway"  was built, seeking to decrease loss of property and noise levels. The name of the expressway changed to the "Eisenhower,"  but the ramps stayed on the left.

And here's an example of the difference in ROW requirements
Normal: https://countyroads.sccgov.org/sites/g/files/exjcpb681/files/Central%20Expy_Lafayette_Alt%201.pdf
Left Exit and Entrance: https://countyroads.sccgov.org/sites/g/files/exjcpb681/files/Central%20Expy_Lafayette_Alt%202.pdf

This layout creates what is basically a SPUI interchange, with all the associated traffic benefits and at a lower cost at that.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: kernals12 on February 26, 2021, 09:56:43 AM
It seems to me that the problems caused by left hand ramps is solely due to them not being normal. If they were the norm then the rightmost lane would be the fast lane and the problem goes away. I wonder why they chose right hand ramps in the first place.

This.  Imagine how easier it would be to plan and design highways if the left lanes were the slow/merge lanes and all highways exited to the inside lanes rather than the outside lanes.  No dual signalization at on-and-off ramps.  Every freeway entrance would effectively be a SPUI.  And expanding left turn capacity for entering a freeway wouldn't impact signal timing or the effectiveness of the corresponding offramp.  And imagine how much less right of way would be needed to expand freeways at crossroads.

kphoger

Wouldn't the interchanges cost more to construct, though?  At a traditional diamond, only the crossroad needs to have a bridge.  If the ramps connect to it midway, then they need to be overhead as well.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on February 26, 2021, 11:30:28 PM
And imagine how much less right of way would be needed to expand freeways at crossroads.

Now imagine the headache of expanding the ramps, though.
Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

If the road changes from freeway to expressway, the slow lane would need to switch from the left to the right.

kernals12

Quote from: kphoger on February 27, 2021, 08:24:11 AM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on February 26, 2021, 11:30:28 PM
And imagine how much less right of way would be needed to expand freeways at crossroads.

Now imagine the headache of expanding the ramps, though.

But since it would be a SPUI, the ramps would have more capacity and would be less likely to need expansion.

Quote from: kphoger on February 27, 2021, 08:23:25 AM
Wouldn't the interchanges cost more to construct, though?  At a traditional diamond, only the crossroad needs to have a bridge.  If the ramps connect to it midway, then they need to be overhead as well.

You could use embankment.

Brandon

Quote from: kernals12 on February 26, 2021, 10:29:16 PM
From an article about the Illinois DOT's plans to remove Oak Park's infamous left exits

Quote"Even highway exits go to the left in Oak Park,"  goes the old joke. In 1961, Oak Park's then-village president J. Russell Christianson lobbied hard to get left-hand exits when the "Congress Expressway"  was built, seeking to decrease loss of property and noise levels. The name of the expressway changed to the "Eisenhower,"  but the ramps stayed on the left.

Normal: https://countyroads.sccgov.org/sites/g/files/exjcpb681/files/Central%20Expy_Lafayette_Alt%201.pdf
Left Exit and Entrance: https://countyroads.sccgov.org/sites/g/files/exjcpb681/files/Central%20Expy_Lafayette_Alt%202.pdf

This layout creates what is basically a SPUI interchange, with all the associated traffic benefits and at a lower cost at that.

And those left exits are terrible pieces of shit (having to pass them virtually every workday).  They clog up the Ike in the area due to vehicles cutting left to exit at both Austin and Harlem.  And then they clog from slow-moving traffic entering on the left. The Oak Park section should've been built with proper service drives and right-hand exits.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kernals12

Quote from: Brandon on February 27, 2021, 08:43:04 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on February 26, 2021, 10:29:16 PM

And those left exits are terrible pieces of shit (having to pass them virtually every workday).  They clog up the Ike in the area due to vehicles cutting left to exit at both Austin and Harlem.  And then they clog from slow-moving traffic entering on the left. The Oak Park section should've been built with proper service drives and right-hand exits.

You're further proving my point that the only real problem with left hand ramps is that they're unfamiliar to drivers. I imagine that tomorrow's driverless cars will be programmed to smoothly move across the freeway in anticipation of left hand exit ramps and cooperate so that left hand entrance ramps don't cause traffic snarls.

kernals12

Quote from: GaryV on February 27, 2021, 08:34:42 AM
If the road changes from freeway to expressway, the slow lane would need to switch from the left to the right.

I guess it would be instinctive, drivers would quickly figure out that the slow lane is the one with all the exits and entrances.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kernals12 on February 27, 2021, 08:50:42 AM
Quote from: GaryV on February 27, 2021, 08:34:42 AM

I guess it would be instinctive, drivers would quickly figure out that the slow lane is the one with all the exits and entrances.

MA 2 in Fitchburg? The cemetery on MA 128 in Peabody?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Rothman

A hodgepodge of thoughts:

The Thruway EB between I-890 and Free I-90/I-87 (Exit 24):  Exit 24 is a left off-ramp and commuters from Schenectady do plant themselves in the left lane no matter how slow they're travelling.  It's a classic example of why left off-ramps are bad, no matter how much room you give them.

I-690 to I-481 NB is a left on-ramp.  I don't think it is that problematic as is -- traffic volumes are low enough to allow for poor mergers that don't speed up enough.  But, I believe this will also be addressed in Phase 1 of the I-81 project.

There's also that left on-ramp from Maryland House (I believe) onto I-95 SB that can be a disaster if you get behind someone not willing match the speed of traffic.  It's built long enough, but if you get stuck behind someone scared to go over 55, it's still harrowing.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.