News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rumble strips - do you hate them?

Started by tolbs17, March 05, 2021, 09:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

They wake you up and scare you! They are not only on freeways, expressways and some boulevards have them too. NC 11 for example.

ozarkman417

I mean, that's kinda the point if the driver is asleep or is starting to do so. Nowadays most of the at grade expressways & freeways radiating out of Springfield MO have them.

oscar

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 05, 2021, 09:40:10 PM
They wake you up and scare you!

You shouldn't be driving while you're asleep, or starting to fall asleep. If you're a passenger, ask the driver to do a better job staying in the lane.

Besides, if the car has a "lane departure" alert system that hasn't been turned off (or is not working due to poor visibility), that will wake you up too. Indeed, one gripe about rumble strips is that they can throw off driver assist systems such as lane departure alerts. (Not that I share that gripe, just that it's out there as a reason to avoid low-tech alternatives like "Botts Dots" or other raised lane markers.)
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

Kentucky has started using sawed-in rumble strips (a/k/a rumble stripes) in two separate applications for resurfacing projects.

For wider roads, they are used on the center line. For older roads, they are used along the edge lines. They're called "rumble stripes" because the vertical walls of the sawed-in indentations allow the paint from the stripe to reflect better at night.

I have seen Michigan use two edge lines on interstates. Outside of the normal edge line, there's an edge line with sawed-in rumble strips.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Do you make a habit of sleeping while driving? 

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 05, 2021, 09:58:57 PM
No. I hardly ever drive. I don't even have a car. But I've seen MANY people have though.

webny99

Rumble strips aren't only used for when you stray out of your lane... here's some on mainline I-90 approaching the infamous 35 mph curve near downtown Cleveland.

texaskdog

texaskdog

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 05, 2021, 09:58:57 PM
Fell asleep driving home from my friend's house 30 years ago.  those woke me up.  I spun around.  should another car have been there on the road it would have been bad but I  didn't go off the road.

interstatefan990

Quote from: oscar on March 05, 2021, 09:54:51 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 05, 2021, 09:40:10 PM
They wake you up and scare you!

You shouldn't be driving while you're asleep, or starting to fall asleep. If you're a passenger, ask the driver to do a better job staying in the lane.

Besides, if the car has a "lane departure" alert system that hasn't been turned off (or is not working due to poor visibility), that will wake you up too. Indeed, one gripe about rumble strips is that they can throw off driver assist systems such as lane departure alerts. (Not that I share that gripe, just that it's out there as a reason to avoid low-tech alternatives like "Botts Dots" or other raised lane markers.)

Yeah. I mean, would you rather have the driver get into a serious accident, or simply allow them to be warned so they can correct themselves and maybe take the next exit? The list of today's drivers who do things they're not supposed to (aka sleepy/distracted driving) is very, very long.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I remember PennDOT using rumble strips to warn drivers they were approaching a construction zone (70s & 80s). I remember them because they were make me cry as a kid (talking ages 3-7). Took another decade before I stopped noticing them.

In modern times, ODOT uses them along the shoulders of many highways in Ohio.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

rarnold

Iowa used to use them at intersections with stop signs. They would be set up at 3 intervals before the stop. You always knew that a stop sign was coming, even if you missed the stop ahead sign or the actual stop sign.

1995hoo

I haven't been that way in a while, but Delaware used to have them on SB I-95 approaching the toll plaza. When we were kids, my brother called them "fart strips" because of the noise the tires made going over them.

I've seen some states using them on the center line on two-lane roads. I initially found that annoying. Then someone I know lost her father and brother when they were hit head-on on US-15 by a driver who drifted onto the wrong side of the road while going too fast, and that made me think maybe the annoyance isn't such a bad thing.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JoePCool14

No, I don't hate them. I actually think they're quite useful for calling attention to things drivers may not expect, like the end of a freeway or a stop sign after many miles of open road.

O'Hare Airport has them coming in on I-190. I think they might be a bit overused in this instance, but they're a good warning that the curves ahead are sharper than meets the eye and you need to slow down more than you might think.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Rothman

CARDs, SHARDs, rumble strips...like them all.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Revive 755

Quote from: rarnold on March 05, 2021, 10:45:59 PM
Iowa used to use them at intersections with stop signs. They would be set up at 3 intervals before the stop. You always knew that a stop sign was coming, even if you missed the stop ahead sign or the actual stop sign.

Illinois and Missouri will also use rumble strips prior to stop signs, though not as much as Iowa.  I think there are also a couple examples in Wisconsin.

As for use before construction zones, Illinois will do this on interstates.  It used to be done in Missouri occasionally.

Scott5114

In Oklahoma, they're placed a foot or so to the outside of the lane line, so it's hard to notice them unless you're really starting drift out of the lane. Missouri puts them right on the line, which means it's easy to brush against them during normal lateral movement. That's kind of irritating.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

WSDOT does an awful job of restriping, so it's handy to have feedback when you're drifting out of a lane you can't see at night or in the rain.

ran4sh

I don't. Although I had no idea there was such a thing as center-line rumble strips until the mid-00s when I encountered them on some 2-lane roads in Arizona. Until then I had only seen the edge-line type and the in-lane type that is used approaching stop signs. Georgia only recently started using center-line rumble strips.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Big John

There are other placements for rumble strips.  US8/WI47 near Rhinelander, WI has them directly on the centerline of the 2-lane highway.  https://goo.gl/maps/51Hhd3gLUKTqMBiV8 The DOT attempted to paint the centerline over this but it is hard to see when the paint and rumble occupy the same spots.

jeffandnicole

NJDOT has them on nearly every road under their jurisdiction, even in residential areas and passing zones.

GaryV

They are especially irritating in construction zones, when they shift your lane partly into the paved shoulder.  Sometimes they fill in the cavities with asphalt - this happens more often when you are crossing over the median to 2-way traffic on one side of the freeway - but sometimes you're bumping along for miles.

Mr. Matté

Yes, when used on surface roads at the fog line when it's a good bicycling road; the shoulders (if exist) don't get swept and they make it harder to move out of it if there is something ahead blocking the shoulder while riding. Otherwise (shoulders of freeways/expressways or all centerlines), it's fine.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Big John on March 06, 2021, 12:01:01 AM
There are other placements for rumble strips.  US8/WI47 near Rhinelander, WI has them directly on the centerline of the 2-lane highway.  https://goo.gl/maps/51Hhd3gLUKTqMBiV8 The DOT attempted to paint the centerline over this but it is hard to see when the paint and rumble occupy the same spots.

You can't see the painted line when it's not there -- the example you linked is badly in need of restriping.  When the centerline is painted, it can be seen fine:  https://goo.gl/maps/AYh3cGTgUEF7uKUg8

Current practice for construction projects on Michigan trunklines is to put down three sets of temporary rumble strips across the lanes near the beginning of the work zone.  The spacing between the strips in each set is shorter with each consecutive set; I guess the intent is to make the rumble sound different with each set.  I think these are useless and not worth putting work crews at risk for putting them down and taking them back up.

zachary_amaryllis

the road i live on has them in places.. there's a sign that says 'grooved centerline next 16 miles" but it only goes about 7 or so.

if i'm by myself in the canyon, i tend to use the whole road if the visibility permits it (like, i don't cross the line on blind curves and such)

in the snow it can be annoying becase you can't see the centerline anyway, and the tracks in the snow show where everyone 'really' drives. even the snowplow favors the inside of curves, so to stay on the plowed part of the road, one has to take liberties with the centerline.

clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.