Highways you would like to explore

Started by doglover44, March 17, 2021, 12:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doglover44

What are some of the highways or State routes you would like to explore ? Me I would like to check out Ohio's State route 235 US 35 and US 68 in Ohio.

SkyPesos

I haven't been on most of CA 1 before, so that would be one of them for me.

For interstates, I have most of I-75 clinched except for the section north of the I-96 interchange and south of the Florida Turnpike interchange. Would like to complete those two sections in the future too.

OCGuy81

My dream road trip would be driving as much of the Pan American highway that I can, from the Dalton Highway in AK to Panama, then navigating around the Darien Gap and continue through South America.

Alas, I need to at least get my kids through college before I seriously entertain this.

TheHighwayMan3561

CA 1
the Canadian side of the Lake Superior Circle Tour
M-22
US 101
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

OCGuy81

I think I'd enjoy driving all of US-1 from Key West to Maine as well.

kphoger

"Explore" and "drive" are two different things, in my opinion.

There are highways I'd like to drive because of the road itself or the scenery, and this one in Mexico is probably at the top of that list.  But there's not much along the way from A to B that I'd like to "explore".

Contrast that, though, with I-70 across the Colorado Rockies.  Yes, I've driven it a few times, and it's scenic as all get out, but I'd like to "explore" it more.  That is, I'd like to stop and see more places along the route, hike some more trails, visit some more towns.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

CA 1 north of Malibu
US 1 south of Miami
Blue Ridge Pkwy
M 185
HI 72
AK 3
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

My Highway Bucket List

Dalton Highway
Dempster Highway/Inuvik-Tuktoyaktuk Highway
US1 between Miami and Key West
US101 down the Oregon Coast & around Olympic NP
James Bay Road
Trans Taiga Road
Apache Trail
I-H3
Hana Highway
Trans-Labrador Highway
Chile's Ruta 5
Pamir Highway (Tajikistan)
Karokoram Highway (Pakistan/China)
Khyber Pass (AH1) (Pakistan/Afghanistan)
"Road of Bones" (Russia)
Great Ocean Road (Australia)
Atlantic Ocean Road (Norway)

As you can probably tell, the more remote, the more I want to drive it.

Chris

Rothman

Any that would help me achieve my various travel goals.

That said, trying to drive US 202 in its entirety is something I've considered.

Want to drive to Yellowstone on the Beartooth.  Been into the park on every other road...

I am sure there are others.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

interstatefan990

I-80, I-70, TN-71, CA-1, the 85 MPH segment of TX-130, and the Arroyo Seco Parkway.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Ketchup99

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 17, 2021, 12:41:21 PM
My dream road trip would be driving as much of the Pan American highway that I can, from the Dalton Highway in AK to Panama, then navigating around the Darien Gap and continue through South America.

Alas, I need to at least get my kids through college before I seriously entertain this.
How does one navigate around the Darien Gap?

interstatefan990

Quote from: Ketchup99 on March 17, 2021, 09:29:01 PM

Have a flying car. That, or somehow get a private ferry service.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

SEWIGuy

The entire length of the western US-2.

SkyPesos

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 17, 2021, 09:33:08 PM

Wait until the FritzOwl interstate system gets completed, in which there's an interstate across the Darien Gap!

Ketchup99

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 17, 2021, 09:47:41 PM

Wait until the FritzOwl interstate system gets completed, in which there's an interstate across the Darien Gap!

In my plans I have my Tierra  del Fuego to Prudhoe Bay Alaska I-5, 17, 19, 43 across the Darien Gap

I think this is needed

There will be a 5/17/19/43 concurrency

SkyPesos

Quote from: Ketchup99 on March 17, 2021, 10:58:56 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on March 17, 2021, 09:47:41 PM

Wait until the FritzOwl interstate system gets completed, in which there’s an interstate across the Darien Gap!

In my plans I have my Tierra  del Fuego to Prudhoe Bay Alaska I-5, 17, 19, 43 across the Darien Gap

I think this is needed

There will be a 5/17/19/43 concurrency
In my plans, I have four 2di in the Darien Gap, I-20, I-37, I-66 and I-69, as well as two 3di and a 4di: I-420, I-666 and I-1337. There will be a I-69/420/666/1337 concurrency. I think this is needed.

kphoger

There have previously been on-again-off-again ferry operations between Panamá and Colombia, but I don't believe any are currently in operation.  There was a vehicle ferry between Colón and Cartagena, for example, but not anymore.  Absent that convenience, the process involves putting your vehicle on a cargo ship from Panamá to either Colombia or Ecuador.  Depending on how much money you have (and it requires a lot of money and time and hoops to jump through either way), this means it either gets put into a shipping container protected by dunnage, or else strapped to the deck exposed to the ocean air.  No matter how it's transported, it's a good idea to get an alignment job after arriving to port.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Here's a video that shows the actual shipping part.  Bear in mind that the process also involves a large sum of money, a few days' worth of paperwork and legal arrangements on each end of the journey, plus separate passenger transport between cities.

It appears these folks had their vehicles strapped down inside the container, rather than (in addition to?) having the voids filled with dunnage.

Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Drive the General Lee and simply jump the Darien Gap.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

OCGuy81

I guess I should've put "via ferry or some transportation around" the Darien Gap 😂

OCGuy81

Maybe Elon Musk will build some of his tubes under the gap.

Roadgeekteen

Anything west of the Mississippi River.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jmacswimmer

Quote from: kphoger on March 17, 2021, 12:51:27 PM
Contrast that, though, with I-70 across the Colorado Rockies.  Yes, I've driven it a few times, and it's scenic as all get out, but I'd like to "explore" it more.  That is, I'd like to stop and see more places along the route, hike some more trails, visit some more towns.

On a related note: I'm kicking myself for passing up the opportunity, at the tail-end of a recent Colorado trip, to check out US 6 thru Clear Creek Canyon instead of sticking with I-70 over the final few foothills (which are certainly no slouch scenery-wise, either).  Especially considering we then spent a few hours around Denver killing time before returning to DIA :spin:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 18, 2021, 01:36:18 PM
Anything west of the Mississippi River.

Well, just so you know, former IA-302 is nothing to write home about.
Male pronouns, please.

skluth

Pretty much anyplace I haven't been yet. But here are some priorities in no particular order:

US 101 Coastal highway from Tacoma to Crescent City
Vancouver Island
US 50 in Nevada and Utah
The intermontane parts of SW Colorado (Gunnison Canyon and Upper Rio Grande Valley)
Lake Michigan and Lake Huron shorelines around Michigan "mitten"
Most of New England, especially US 1 and the Northern Maine wilderness area
The barrier islands along the Carolina and Georgia coast
The Road to Hana

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.