Highway intersections you recognize

Started by TravelingBethelite, March 20, 2021, 12:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravelingBethelite

After you've been through certain intersections on a particular route enough times (not talking about local intersections), you begin to become familiar with them. What are intersections you've become familiar with? For example, I've come to recognize the intersection of AR 41, US 70, and US 71 on the east side of DeQueen, AR after having been through it several times going back and forth between Missouri and Texas.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

GaryV

Although we haven't been able to travel it for a while now, I usually go "Up North" on I-75 enough that I not only know the intersections, I know most of the mile markers at each interchange.

JoePCool14

I've gotten very familiar with the exits between I-290 and I-39 on I-90. Been riding or driving that route since I was born practically, but only in the last few years have I become familiar enough that I've memorized the exits.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "familiar" with interchanges. Can I picture it in my head? Could I draw the interchange blind? Do I remember a specific route through the interchange?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

TEG24601

It is aways fun to see intersections/interchanges on this and other sites, without any caption, and be able to point out where they are.  Happed a few times at (WA) SR-14/SR-141 in Bingen, WA, where I used to live and work, or I-75's interchange with Big Beaver Rd. near Detroit... which just happens to be Exit 69.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

hobsini2

Waaaaaaay too many to list.  But a few highlights and why.

Wis 22 (Main St) and Wis 23 (Montello St), Montello - Main St dead ends at a bluff in Downtown Montello and there's a nice little waterfall just east of the light. This was the last stop before getting to Grandma's house 12 miles east off 23.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7918277,-89.3273171,3a,66.5y,1.8h,80.83t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sb1Fzm5OtKLFZECtW_P5sTg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3Db1Fzm5OtKLFZECtW_P5sTg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D129.93312%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Ill 53 & Joliet Rd, Romeoville - Closest Old Route 66 comes to my house. About 2 1/2 miles way by car. 1 1 3/4 as the crow flies. This was redone a few years ago to be bigger and for the new truck stop.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6675331,-88.0653776,3a,66.8y,30.87h,97.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWZuKwSRsIMz7x__JW0lSdQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Indian Trail Rd and ILL 25, Aurora - Sometimes, you remember where you were the first time you heard a song and just went WOW! That was the case for me at the ripe old age of 4 the first time I heard Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight while on the way to day care. Funny thing is I use this intersection now almost daily to get to and from work. I haven't seen, but have heard from the office, a train use this line in years. That is the Fox River Bridge in the background before Route 31.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7821326,-88.3105211,3a,75y,253.49h,88.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMWU7bhqGJgOAGpUWfBCNJg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

EpicRoadways

12th Street North and MN-15 (Saint Cloud): Three years ago, I got stuck at this intersection trying to make a left turn from 12th Street onto NB 15 for FOUR full cycles. I hit the "perfect storm" of an emergency vehicle passing through that reset the cycle, two cycles of incompetent drivers who weren't paying attention to the color of the light, and then yet another emergency vehicle. Long story short, what was supposed to be a ten minute drive turned into a 22-minute cussfest and I am forever scarred by that intersection.
(Is longest time spent waiting at a red light a topic in Traffic Control? If it's not, it should be!)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: EpicRoadways on March 20, 2021, 07:10:54 PM
12th Street North and MN-15 (Saint Cloud): Three years ago, I got stuck at this intersection trying to make a left turn from 12th Street onto NB 15 for FOUR full cycles. I hit the "perfect storm" of an emergency vehicle passing through that reset the cycle, two cycles of incompetent drivers who weren't paying attention to the color of the light, and then yet another emergency vehicle. Long story short, what was supposed to be a ten minute drive turned into a 22-minute cussfest and I am forever scarred by that intersection.
(Is longest time spent waiting at a red light a topic in Traffic Control? If it's not, it should be!)

Heh...I would say not even close.   Congested areas or lights with a single lane can often have long waits.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 20, 2021, 05:29:53 PM
I've gotten very familiar with the exits between I-290 and I-39 on I-90. Been riding or driving that route since I was born practically, but only in the last few years have I become familiar enough that I've memorized the exits.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "familiar" with interchanges. Can I picture it in my head? Could I draw the interchange blind? Do I remember a specific route through the interchange?

By familiar, it can either be you can picture it in your head, or you recognize it when passing through it the future.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

hbelkins

Just about every one on every road I've traveled more than once

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SkyPesos

I recognize way too many intersections in the St Louis area (it's technically not 'local' for me anymore), especially ones with a unique or straight out awful traffic signal setup.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.