News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Regions of the United States with the most and least interesting roads

Started by Roadgeekteen, March 26, 2021, 03:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

...and here we go with regional definitions.  Wonder when the thread will be locked.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thspfc

Quote from: Rothman on March 27, 2021, 02:21:45 PM
...and here we go with regional definitions.  Wonder when the thread will be locked.
Why is this so hard to understand? It's not about regional definitions. I don't care what your definitions are. It's about breaking our existing definitions, no matter what they may be, down into smaller sub-regions specifically for this purpose. Never anywhere did I mention anything about regional definitions themselves that is not simply common sense.

Rothman

Quote from: thspfc on March 27, 2021, 02:42:51 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 27, 2021, 02:21:45 PM
Why is this so hard to understand? It's not about regional definitions. I don't care what your definitions are. It's about breaking our existing definitions, no matter what they may be, down into smaller sub-regions specifically for this purpose. Never anywhere did I mention anything about regional definitions themselves that is not simply common sense.

Regions, subregions...doesn't matter.  Once you get into geographic definitions, everyone's got an opinion and it turns into a crap show. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

zzyzx

As someone who grew up in New a England and now lives out west, I found Utah to be the most interesting simply because everything was the opposite. Seeing wide surface streets, retroreflective borders on almost all the traffic signals and the grid system (100 N. 400, for example) were major changes. Utah's modern, concrete freeways with plenty of merge space and the overall topography of Salt Lake City also made for an unique trip. Contrast that to New England with narrow 2 lane roads, antiqued interstates from the 1950s, old traffic signals and signage, etc. It's interesting because it was new to me, but I'm sure those who lived mostly out west would find driving the roads on the east coast strange and be shocked at the short merge lanes (don't get me started with PA's STOP signs at on-ramps). Now when I'm back in my hometown I find it weird how the intersections aren't perfect 90 degree angles and I feel like I'm going to hit a tree every time I drive on a narrow 25mph back road with no shoulders.

iPhone

Dirt Roads

Sorry about a different type of regional definition, but the Alleghenies tend to have spectacular northeast-southwest diagonals running through the valleys, whereas the Blue Ridge tends to have spectacular crossings.  I'm particularly fond of US-219 and US-220 in the former; US-211 and VA-56 in the latter.  Some routes that buck those trends:  WV/VA-39 across the Alleghenies and I-81 along the upper Shenandoah Valley. 

HighwayStar

In all honesty I think this is similar to a thread a while back about the regions with the most beautiful highways. To make a distinction though, if we mean "interesting" as in the road itself, more so than its surroundings, than I think the Northeast/Mid Atlantic is probabally the winner. Being the most settled part of the country, and having so many roads that had to be built as an afterthought or with odd constraints results in a fascinating array of designs, signage, intersections, etc. that the rest of the country does not really have to the same extent.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

hbelkins

What are we defining as "interesting?" Scenery, or highway features?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on March 29, 2021, 12:59:22 PM
What are we defining as "interesting?" Scenery, or highway features?

For me at least, I'm going scenery with "fun to drive" a.k.a. curves, elevation changes, etc.  I'm also not in the camp of roadgeeks that thinks a whole lot about interchange types and such.

Chris

Ned Weasel

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 29, 2021, 03:00:45 PM
For me at least, I'm going scenery with "fun to drive" a.k.a. curves, elevation changes, etc.  I'm also not in the camp of roadgeeks that thinks a whole lot about interchange types and such.

"Fun to drive" varies a lot from person to person, and it definitely varies from vehicle to vehicle.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

HighwayStar

Quote from: stridentweasel on March 29, 2021, 05:01:32 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on March 29, 2021, 03:00:45 PM

"Fun to drive" varies a lot from person to person, and it definitely varies from vehicle to vehicle.

Ditto. It is one thing to say what is more scenic, that is at least somewhat objective, or interesting from a road oddities standpoint, that is even more objective. "Fun to drive" is vague and very subjective. The above sounds like something to drive in a sports car, which incidentally is not a good vehicle for a long cruise, so we are looking at very different criteria here.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.