News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Dangerous intersections

Started by tolbs17, March 27, 2021, 05:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

NC-43/US-17 This intersection you can easily get T-boned and I'll do a resign project of it. The reason why I'm saying this is cause this intersection is a nightmare. When there's a stop sign, not everyone will stop. This should be converted to an all-way stop or make an interchange.

NC 43 traffic will be accessed using the ramps.

I don't like the roundabout idea tbh. There's fast moving traffic in that area.

This one has a high number of crashes, if anything convert this intersection with superstreets and realign Mill Rd further south can have free flowing turns. Make it similar to NC 55 where there can be U-turns make it similar to what they did at Laurie Ellis Rd.

Max Rockatansky

CA 41/CA 46 neat Cholame in San Luis Obispo County has been infamous since James Dean was killed there when the latter was US 466. 

Hwy 61 Revisited

Roosevelt Boulevard. All of it. Yes, everybody agrees it's dangerous and yet nobody wants to do anything to motivate the problem.
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

Zeffy

I feel like a lot of intersections in Southeast PA would qualify. Mostly due to the fact that the sightlines are so horrid that you have to place yourself far into the intersection to see if anything is coming. Here's an example of one of my least favorite:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2504571,-74.9883721,3a,50.1y,269.19h,93.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sS8MSwYjo46widYWSSFvp-w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

If you are coming up this direction, there is no way to know if there's a car coming from the left unless you start going. Unsurprisingly, I've had close calls because I couldn't see anyone on the left and they assumed it was clear so they had begun going as well. Look where the STOP line is and look how much you can see of the left side of the intersection. You pretty much can't see anything until you are well into the intersection.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

23skidoo

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on March 27, 2021, 07:08:03 PM
Roosevelt Boulevard. All of it. Yes, everybody agrees it's dangerous and yet nobody wants to do anything to motivate the problem.

Coincidentally, I recently posted a proposal to convert Roosevelt Boulevard into a freeway on the Fictional Highways forum.

kernals12

The Concord Rotary on MA 2 is probably the most infamous intersection in the State of Massachusetts. It suffers from all the problems of other rotaries: lots of weaving, and poor sight lines. This has made it the site of many accidents. The town has been begging MassDOT for years to turn it into a freeway interchange (which was recently done at another very dangerous intersection on the MA 2: Crosby's Corner) but they haven't found the money for it.

LilianaUwU

These two intersections (here and here) have been the site of quite a few crashes, including one with two fatalities in the case of the former one.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on March 28, 2021, 09:29:32 AM

The Concord Rotary on MA 2 is probably the most infamous intersection in the State of Massachusetts. It suffers from all the problems of other rotaries: lots of weaving, and poor sight lines. This has made it the site of many accidents. The town has been begging MassDOT for years to turn it into a freeway interchange (which was recently done at another very dangerous intersection on the MA 2: Crosby's Corner) but they haven't found the money for it.

I don't know if it's accurate to say the Town has been begging for it.  Citation needed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SkyPesos

This intersection at OH 28/Business 28/Romar ended up #2 for most crashes and #1 for most serious injuries on a list of dangerous intersections in Ohio. Doesn't really help that the interchange with I-275 is just west and a freeway section of OH 28 is just east of this intersection.

SectorZ

Quote from: Rothman on March 28, 2021, 11:53:53 AM

I don't know if it's accurate to say the Town has been begging for it.  Citation needed.

That and it was heavily improved last summer/autumn.

It not existing would still be the most optimal situation.

kphoger

Are there any dangerous 'modern roundabouts'?  As in crash-prone?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

froggie

Quote from: kphoger on March 30, 2021, 10:16:05 AM
Are there any dangerous 'modern roundabouts'?  As in crash-prone?

That's another thread...😌

zachary_amaryllis

mentioned this one before but it was in the wrong thread..

this: https://goo.gl/maps/P2jeZW9d3kbZLwZz7

ba-f--kin-nanas. plus, as a bonus, the concrete is beat to all hell by constant truck traffic, so its a rollercoaster that makes your teeth hurt.
double bonus: the seams in the concrete go all over the place, so its wanting to pull your car one way or the other. its ... challenging
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

snowc

Quote from: Rothman on March 28, 2021, 11:53:53 AM

[citation needed][/shadow]

Tom958

Quote from: kernals12 on March 28, 2021, 09:29:32 AMThe Concord Rotary on MA 2 is probably the most infamous intersection in the State of Massachusetts. It suffers from all the problems of other rotaries: lots of weaving, and poor sight lines.

Weaving isn't required in this circle, and all the lane lines are either solid or dotted. I guess that some Massachusetts drivers are so used to weaving in rotaries that they do it even when it's unnecessary and illegal.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4673129,-71.3974487,134m/data=!3m1!1e3

andarcondadont

I wonder what Anoka County, MN will do to mitigate the weaving issue at the west and east ramp junctions for MN 65 and 125th Ave NE. Especially at the adjacent intersection with Central Ave-Aberdeen St, the left turn lanes get clogged. Personally, I think stoplights should be installed for both of the ramp junctions. https://www.google.com/maps/@45.1970141,-93.2337096,3a,58.1y,72.54h,74.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPCKPZweAOgovBMYegbx_yQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Computer Science and GIS student at the University of Minnesota.

SectorZ

Quote from: Tom958 on April 08, 2021, 06:05:49 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on March 28, 2021, 09:29:32 AMThe Concord Rotary on MA 2 is probably the most infamous intersection in the State of Massachusetts. It suffers from all the problems of other rotaries: lots of weaving, and poor sight lines.

Weaving isn't required in this circle, and all the lane lines are either solid or dotted. I guess that some Massachusetts drivers are so used to weaving in rotaries that they do it even when it's unnecessary and illegal.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4673129,-71.3974487,134m/data=!3m1!1e3

The rotary didn't have those lane markings before 2019.

See GSV from 11/17, https://goo.gl/maps/TYgG8fCiDyGE7J437

We're not all friggin' idiots in this state...

tradephoric

The most crash prone Michigan intersection in 2019 was at 18 1/2 Mile / Van Dyke in Sterling Heights.  The 3x2 modern roundabout (constructed in 2005) had 229 crashes including 14 injury crashes.  Another roundabout at Orchard Lake / 14 Mile had more injury crashes with 22 but only 178 total crashes. 

TheHighwayMan3561

The worst in Minnesota is the south junction of MN 15/MN 23/Stearns County 75 in St. Cloud. The north junction a block away isn't far down the list.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tradephoric

The most crash prone intersection in Appleton, Wisconsin in 2019 is the Northland Ave / Richmond roundabout with 84 total crashes.  The next intersection with the most crashes in Appleton is the signalized intersection at E Calumet St / S Kensington Dr. with 18 total crashes.

https://www.appleton.org/home/showpublisheddocument?id=23763

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 27, 2021, 09:54:49 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6897971,-73.6164367,3a,75y,314.86h,73.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUAmWTwU-abgfRe69ibqZfA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

What sightlines? I was out here a couple of weeks ago, it was very treacherous.

Reminds me a bit of this intersection, which I have never thought was dangerous.

But I can see how maybe this type of design would be better, where the two roads that join have a merge instead of a stop sign.

I-55

Any intersection in close proximity to railroad tracks. Made worse with more advanced traffic control (i.e. lights).
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

MCRoads

Quote from: I-55 on April 27, 2021, 10:24:29 PM
Any intersection in close proximity to railroad tracks. Made worse with more advanced traffic control (i.e. lights).
This. Long vehicles have issues here. They aren't supposed to stop on the tracks, but sometimes the rail line is just close enough, trucks and busses can stop on the line, and the rear can hang over the tracks.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.