News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Turnarounds on freeways

Started by hotdogPi, April 07, 2021, 03:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

This came up in a different thread, so I decided to split it into its own topic.

Two examples close to me that I know of:
1. The western end of MA 213. Very simple, and I'm surprised the design doesn't exist anywhere else.
2. I-495 (MA) exits 44-45: if you get off at exit 44 northbound and stay on the ramps, you'll eventually find yourself on the mainline of I-495 southbound. (Exit numbers are still sequential, but they won't be for long. If you're reading this in the future, it's the Merrimack River crossing in Lawrence.)

Taking an exit twice that turns you 90° each time, such as a cloverleaf, is common enough that I am not including them.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

There was one installed on northbound I-5 at Castaic last year following the peroxide spill debacle in 2019. 

webny99

Quote from: 1 on April 07, 2021, 03:21:26 PM
1. The western end of MA 213. Very simple, and I'm surprised the design doesn't exist anywhere else.

Probably because of the weave and the right-of-way. Many interchanges don't have that much space between the two ramps that cross the freeway.

Here's a few examples that may count, but I'm not sure:
NY 104 at Goodman St
Robert Moses State Parkway
Lake Ontario State Parkway (there are several more besides the two shown in the link)

HighwayStar

Not sure if you would count them, but the Texas U turn system is very close to a turn around on a freeway. Technically you leave the highway to use one, but in practice it makes little difference in many cases.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jmacswimmer

I-70's eastern terminus (sometimes used, pre-COVID anyway, by myself & others as a way of bypassing congestion on the ramp from I-70 EB to I-695 NB)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

The ability to turn around is reasonably common on British motorways due to the use of roundabout interchanges even between motorways–for example, the M32 at the M4 near Bristol or the M49 at the M4 just east of the bridge to Wales. I distinguish those from a situation where the roundabout is part of a junction but only a non-motorway has to pass through it (such as the M4's Junction 15 near Swindon)–the latter is more in the nature of the OP's comment about a cloverleaf because you have to exit to use the roundabout, whereas when the roundabout is part of one of the motorways, one of them (the M32 and the M49, in the examples I gave earlier) lets you turn around without exiting.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

HighwayStar

Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 07, 2021, 04:18:45 PM
I-70's eastern terminus (sometimes used, pre-COVID anyway, by myself & others as a way of bypassing congestion on the ramp from I-70 EB to I-695 NB)

Also in the catagory of embarrassing dead ends is I-95 where it terminates north of DC.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

MCRoads

The MA Turnpike in Boston has one, not sure why. The only reason I can think to have it there is to allow traffic entering west from Mass Ave to go east. But that's a long way. Any other theories?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

SkyPesos

I-376 WB exit 69A. Although not signed as such, the exit is a balloon loop (which seems to be the case for most of the examples here), so you can turn around from WB to EB there.

Revive 755

ilpt4u

Pretty sure there used to be one on I-55 NB to SB at IL 129 in Wilmington, IL. The grading for it is still visible on Google Sat View

I-55 SB no longer has access to IL 129, but it used to have a Left Exit and fly over the NB lanes (all that is left are the bridge piers along the NB lanes). There was no direct SB entrance, tho - so the turn-around was there so the NB entrance could be utilized, then use the turn-around to head SB

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3157422,-88.1918715,798m/data=!3m1!1e3

Going off of Google Earth Historical Sat imagery, looks like the turn-around and the SB exit were there thru 2011, and were being removed in 2012. I distinctly remember having seen both open in the not too distant past - 10+ years ago, now it is!

jp the roadgeek

I-295 North Exit 9B in Johnston, RI.  It's even signed I-295 SOUTH Warwick. Uses the western stub of the US 6 expressway that was supposed to be part of I-84.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Bickendan

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 07, 2021, 10:26:21 PM
It's pushing the "on the freeway part" but I'll nominate the turnaround on the Tudor Street Exit in East St. Louis.
Looks like another one at the north end of the interchange at Main and Obama.

I-55

Some parts of Huntsville area roads have dedicated u-turns on exit ramps that avoid the traffic lights. Notably AL-255 and US-231.

There are several dedicated u-turns on the Lake Ponchartrain Causeway
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

froggie

Exit 1 on I-10 LA is officially signed as the "Sabine River Turnaround" and is just a freeway ramp.  Exit 880 on the Texas side of the river is functionally the same, but also routes U-turn traffic through the westbound Welcome Center.

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on April 08, 2021, 12:00:12 AM
Pretty sure there used to be one on I-55 NB to SB at IL 129 in Wilmington, IL. The grading for it is still visible on Google Sat View

I-55 SB no longer has access to IL 129, but it used to have a Left Exit and fly over the NB lanes (all that is left are the bridge piers along the NB lanes). There was no direct SB entrance, tho - so the turn-around was there so the NB entrance could be utilized, then use the turn-around to head SB

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3157422,-88.1918715,798m/data=!3m1!1e3

Going off of Google Earth Historical Sat imagery, looks like the turn-around and the SB exit were there thru 2011, and were being removed in 2012. I distinctly remember having seen both open in the not too distant past - 10+ years ago, now it is!

GSV
Male pronouns, please.

TheGrassGuy

Related question: what happens if you use the New Baltimore Travel Plaza on the New York State Thruway or the Vince Lombardi Travel Plaza on the New Jersey Turnpike to make a U-turn?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on April 08, 2021, 03:19:13 PM
Related question: what happens if you use the New Baltimore Travel Plaza on the New York State Thruway or the Vince Lombardi Travel Plaza on the New Jersey Turnpike to make a U-turn?

At least on the NJ Turnpike, nothing other than you'll need to pay another toll after you return to the tolled portion of the Turnpike.

snowc

Quote from: webny99 on April 07, 2021, 03:59:57 PM
Quote from: 1 on April 07, 2021, 03:21:26 PM

Probably because of the weave and the right-of-way. Many interchanges don't have that much space between the two ramps that cross the freeway.

Here's a few examples that may count, but I'm not sure:
NY 104 at Goodman St
Robert Moses State Parkway
Lake Ontario State Parkway (there are several more besides the two shown in the link)
One here in many spots
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.088512,-76.1030805,16z Triple Bonus points for this one. Military circle, the turnaround and the Carrier Circle
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8874896,-75.9904904,15z and this one over rte 11 and I81.

zachary_amaryllis

what about exit oh i think its 3 on the palisades interstate parkway? its a u-turn, to get to the actual exit 3 on the sb side.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 08, 2021, 03:27:15 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on April 08, 2021, 03:19:13 PM

At least on the NJ Turnpike, nothing other than you'll need to pay another toll after you return to the tolled portion of the Turnpike.

For some reason I keep believing that the closed toll system ends right before the interchange with US-46. :bigass:
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Evan_Th

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.