News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ask Me Anything About Chicago

Started by Henry, October 28, 2021, 02:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Another new "Ask me anything..." thread. What is it about my hometown that you want to know about?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

Quote from: Rothman on October 28, 2021, 02:40:09 PM
How dare you?

Yes, they dare.  They drive on the shoulder and sidewalk, shoot on the freeway and run the red, blow the stop sign and hog the left lane.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

JayhawkCO

Why oh why did Doug close Hot Doug's?

Chris

jlam

Do you like Chicago-style pizza?

Max Rockatansky

Is Chicago flat?  I've heard it's full of mountains but that seemed questionable.

wanderer2575

Is "dibs" (using a folding chair to reserve a shoveled-out parking spot on the street after a snowfall) still a thing?

Brandon

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 28, 2021, 03:03:42 PM
Is Chicago flat?  I've heard it's full of mountains but that seemed questionable.

You've never heard of the Mountains of Illinois?  What a trope!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 28, 2021, 03:08:43 PM
Is "dibs" (using a folding chair to reserve a shoveled-out parking spot on the street after a snowfall) still a thing?

Yes, along with old tables, children's toys, orange cones, 2x4s, actual non-folding chairs, car parts, boxes, and damn near any piece of junk you can find in a basement, attic, vacant lot...

JayhawkCO

How many shots of Malört are drunk per capita?

Chris

jgb191

Q1:  What is the best way for a traveler to connect between Midway and O'Hare between flights?

Q2:  What is the best deep dish in the city?

Q3:  Why do Cubs fans dislike the W. Sox team, and why do W. Sox fan dislike the Cubs team?
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

abefroman329

kevinb1994

How fun is the Navy Pier? I've been to the area, just didn't get a chance to visit that landmark (nor the North Side, for that matter).

abefroman329

Quote from: jlam on October 28, 2021, 02:56:52 PM
Do you like Chicago-style pizza?
It's not my favorite, although there's a local place called Gulliver's that does a thin-crust deep-dish pizza that I like.

Tavern-style (thin crust) pizza, though, I could eat that 3 meals a day for the rest of my life.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Brandon on October 28, 2021, 03:23:05 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 28, 2021, 03:03:42 PM

You've never heard of the Mountains of Illinois?  What a trope!

I heard they are all on I-70 and the Chicago Skyway.   

Rick Powell

Quote from: jgb191 on October 28, 2021, 03:29:19 PM
Q1:  What is the best way for a traveler to connect between Midway and O'Hare between flights?
Best answer - You don't book a connecting flight between Midway and O'Hare.
CTA Orange Line to CTA Blue Line is probably the best way if you absolutely have to do it. Van Buren or Clark/Lake are the 2 stations you can transfer from Orange to Blue. Or get an Uber or a cab, they will probably do Cicero north to I-55, then go west to I-294 north, depending on traffic. It will take about an hour driving in the daytime.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rick Powell on October 28, 2021, 04:09:59 PM
Best answer - You don't book a connecting flight between Midway and O'Hare.
CTA Orange Line to CTA Blue Line is probably the best way if you absolutely have to do it. Van Buren or Clark/Lake are the 2 stations you can transfer from Orange to Blue. Or get an Uber or a cab, they will probably do Cicero north to the Kennedy (or maybe Cicero to I-55 to Dan Ryan to Kennedy) depending on traffic.

I've flown into LGA and out of JFK which is annoying, but doable.  I wouldn't ever book into MDW and out or ORD (or vv).  Taking the L is about an hour and a half if not longer.  I once met someone at Midway after having flown into O'Hare, and then we took the Red Line back up to Andersonville (Argyle stop).  I think I was on the train for three hours.

Chris

Rick Powell

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 28, 2021, 04:12:45 PM
I've flown into LGA and out of JFK which is annoying, but doable.  I wouldn't ever book into MDW and out or ORD (or vv).  Taking the L is about an hour and a half if not longer.  I once met someone at Midway after having flown into O'Hare, and then we took the Red Line back up to Andersonville (Argyle stop).  I think I was on the train for three hours.

Chris

At the current time of day, Google says the drive is 50 minutes via I-55 and I-294, and the CTA train including transfer is 1:15.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kevinb1994 on October 28, 2021, 03:32:56 PM
How fun is the Navy Pier? I've been to the area, just didn't get a chance to visit that landmark (nor the North Side, for that matter).

Navy Pier is essentially a mall (minus the anchor stores) on a very scenic location. It's a nice place to spend a few leisurely hours on a nice summer day/evening, but it's not by any means a must-visit for visitors to Chicago.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rick Powell on October 28, 2021, 04:18:53 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on October 28, 2021, 04:12:45 PM

Chris

At the current time of day, Google says the drive is 50 minutes via I-55 and I-294, and the CTA train including transfer is 1:15.

I think it was on a Saturday or Sunday, so maybe the trains ran a little less frequently.  Either way, it took a while.

Chris

abefroman329

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 28, 2021, 04:12:22 PM
Why do the Bears still suck? :bigass:
Because the McCaskey family makes money off the team regardless of whether they're any good.

NWI_Irish96

Q2:  What is the best deep dish in the city?

Q3:  Why do Cubs fans dislike the W. Sox team, and why do W. Sox fan dislike the Cubs team?

1: I don't know why anybody would want to do such a thing. The airports really aren't set up for people to commute between the two. There are no good ways. The least bad way would be a cab/Lyft/Uber

2: They're all incredibly similar. Pizzeria Uno/Due, Giordano's, Gino's East, Lou Malnati's are all good in my book. Deep dish isn't really pizza though so much as it's fine dining. You to to one of those places for a nice dinner, but you don't generally order them for pizza night at home. That's what thin crust is for.

3: Cubs fans dislike the White Sox because they're stupid. White Sox fans dislike the Cubs because their fans are stupid.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 28, 2021, 02:49:41 PM

Chris
According to the owner, "it was time to do something else."

Seven years later, I miss it so badly, because on my summer trips to Chicago, I'd stop by the place before taking in the Cubs game, if they were in town and my father had tickets. (And even at 75, he still attends their games today.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Doug%27s
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Henry on October 29, 2021, 01:45:30 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on October 28, 2021, 02:49:41 PM

Chris
According to the owner, "it was time to do something else."

Seven years later, I miss it so badly, because on my summer trips to Chicago, I'd stop by the place before taking in the Cubs game, if they were in town and my father had tickets. (And even at 75, he still attends their games today.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Doug%27s

Did I hear correctly that he opened something else at Wrigley?

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.