News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Capping I-95 in Philly

Started by jeffandnicole, June 24, 2019, 11:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Easier question, how many of the tracks going into 30th St. Station are still active? Expanding the freeway under the Rail station and Post office might be less difficult than vertically stratifying traffic along the Surekill there. 
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

PHLBOS

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 28, 2019, 03:41:21 PM
Easier question, how many of the tracks going into 30th St. Station are still active? Expanding the freeway under the Rail station and Post office might be less difficult than vertically stratifying traffic along the Surekill there. 
The tracks that run parallel & closest to I-76 feed into 30th St. Station are Amtrak's and they are very much active.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beltway

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 28, 2019, 04:21:18 PM
The tracks that run parallel & closest to I-76 feed into 30th St. Station are Amtrak's and they are very much active.
The segment between Walnut Street and Chestnut Street gets a lot tighter with the tracks narrowing down to the normal mainline, and there are major buildings right on the other side of the tracks.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on June 27, 2019, 08:11:35 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 27, 2019, 05:29:06 PM
Quote from: Beltway on June 27, 2019, 07:02:16 AM
Triple decking could keep the expressway below the surface streets, but the lowest level would be at least partially below river level, meaning a tunneled segment or partially tunneled segment.
The engineer in me cringes at anything below river level that isn't enclosed for its entire stay there (i.e. a tunnel). Ain't no one paying to run pumps 24/7.

I was thinking of something like a longer version of the open approaches to an underwater tunnel where the top of the retaining wall is higher than the river level (flood stage to be precise), if the bottom of the grade doesn't need to go deep enough to where an open top wouldn't work.
But then you can't drain the rain.

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on June 28, 2019, 06:19:37 PM
Triple decking could keep the expressway below the surface streets, but the lowest level would be at least partially below river level, meaning a tunneled segment or partially tunneled segment.
The engineer in me cringes at anything below river level that isn't enclosed for its entire stay there (i.e. a tunnel). Ain't no one paying to run pumps 24/7.
I was thinking of something like a longer version of the open approaches to an underwater tunnel where the top of the retaining wall is higher than the river level (flood stage to be precise), if the bottom of the grade doesn't need to go deep enough to where an open top wouldn't work.
The open approaches to an underwater tunnel either drain into the tunnel drainage system, or have drop inlets along the side of the open approach roadway.

Either way it is going to flow down to where it will have to be pumped out.

Sump pumps don't need to run 24/7, just when water accumulates.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on June 28, 2019, 10:43:44 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 28, 2019, 06:19:37 PM
The open approaches to an underwater tunnel either drain into the tunnel drainage system, or have drop inlets along the side of the open approach roadway.

Either way it is going to flow down to where it will have to be pumped out.

Sump pumps don't need to run 24/7, just when water accumulates.
An above ground tunnel portal leads to above sea level drains. Those flow naturally. Only in the event of heavy rain or flooding that can't be handled by the drains would the pump activate. You can't do that with an open cut because any rain will require the pump to run.

SteveG1988

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 28, 2019, 04:21:18 PM

Almost all of them are still active
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.