News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

Have there been any proposals to build a bridge over the Hudson between Crotonville and Haverstraw? Right now the gap between the Bear Mountain and Tappen Zee bridges is 18 miles

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on April 28, 2023, 10:15:17 AM
Have there been any proposals to build a bridge over the Hudson between Crotonville and Haverstraw? Right now the gap between the Bear Mountain and Tappen Zee bridges is 18 miles
None that have been taken seriously.  If anything, there's been more funding put towards the ferry.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

As a first order approximation - that is still a wide area of Hudson, and even NYS governor's ego can be only that big.
Tappan Zee is already way too expensive, and located in a wide bad spot only because, you know, governor's "FU" can be pretty big.

froggie

Quote from: kalvado on April 28, 2023, 10:21:19 AM
Tappan Zee is already way too expensive, and located in a wide bad spot only because, you know, governor's "FU" can be pretty big.

This has been discussed before.  Tappan Zee is where it is not because of anybody's ego (per se) but because it's the closest the Thruway could get a bridge to NYC without it falling under Port Authority jurisdiction.  If there's any "ego" involved, it's PANYNJ's.

kalvado

Quote from: froggie on April 28, 2023, 10:49:39 AM

This has been discussed before.  Tappan Zee is where it is not because of anybody's ego (per se) but because it's the closest the Thruway could get a bridge to NYC without it falling under Port Authority jurisdiction.  If there's any "ego" involved, it's PANYNJ's.
If I remember correctly, that was governor's decision NOT to go into PANYNJ jurisdiction.
But it is interesting as history fine print at most.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on April 28, 2023, 11:30:48 AM

If I remember correctly, that was governor's decision NOT to go into PANYNJ jurisdiction.
But it is interesting as history fine print at most.
Even if that's true, there would be other justifications for the NY Governor to avoid PANYNJ than just ego.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

18 miles isn't that bad for bridges along the Hudson.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on April 29, 2023, 03:50:20 PM
18 miles isn't that bad for bridges along the Hudson.

It's not even the furthest. Rip Van Winkle to Castleton is over 20. Mid-Hudson to Kingston-Rhinecliff is about 19. Also worth noting that there are multiple gaps of >10 river miles north of Albany, including three south of Corinth.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

D-Dey65

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 06, 2023, 08:52:50 PM
^Well David Golub drove that part of the Northern State Pkwy so I did not have to.   ;-)
It can't be as bad as Country Road in Medford was until the late-1990's. or Southern Boulevard in the South Bronx.

D-Dey65

This project has been in the works at Region 10 for years, and I didn't even know about it until David Golub mentioned it today.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/page/portal/content/delivery/region10/projects/022948-Home/022948-Repository/0229.48_CHR_PIM_Brochure_FINAL.pdf

Don't they realize how many weaving accidents they're going to create on the Sagtikos Flyover?

TheDon102

Honestly where the Tappan Zee Bridge is located is perfectly fine, I don't think a bridge further south (Dobbs Ferry?) would be better at all. The East-West freeway connection through Westchester is better at this location and connects directly to White Plains and I-95 in Port Chester. Its at a good spot imho.

D-Dey65

Unless NYSDOT decides to revive the proposal to extend the Cross County Parkway west of the Henry Hudson and Saw Mill Parkways and a connecting road is built on the Jersey side, there's no chance of any new bridge between the GWB and Tappan Zee.

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 18, 2023, 07:59:05 AM
Unless NYSDOT decides to revive the proposal to extend the Cross County Parkway west of the Henry Hudson and Saw Mill Parkways and a connecting road is built on the Jersey side, there's no chance of any new bridge between the GWB and Tappan Zee.
I don't think it would be a NYSDOT project and would fall under PANYNJ.

In any matter, I haven't heard anyone official talk about this sort of proposal.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on May 18, 2023, 08:00:20 AM

In any matter, I haven't heard anyone official talk about this sort of proposal.
Tappan Zee was literally feet north of the PANYNJ jurisdiction, new one is also just outside the area. (some say PANYNJ area is XX miles radius from some landmark - no, legally it is defined as a polygon with long-lat coordinates of corners, approximating some circle).
SO coming back  - it was built specifically just outside port authority  territory, as decided by then-governor.

Roadgeek Adam

I can tell you why a new Alpine-Yonkers Bridge won't happen: all the NIMBYs and all the richass NIMBYs.

As for Haverstraw, there's never really been one. There was one for a dam and Thruway bridge at Haverstraw.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 18, 2023, 02:54:40 PM
I can tell you why a new Alpine-Yonkers Bridge won't happen: all the NIMBYs and all the richass NIMBYs.

As for Haverstraw, there's never really been one. There was one for a dam and Thruway bridge at Haverstraw.
For Haverstraw, the ferry has always been deemed adequate.

Alps

It'd have to be coordinated to some degree between all agencies, but NJ never moved forward with the 14 freeway so I don't see anything changing on our side, which is much more of a lift than a few miles of CCP.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Alps on May 18, 2023, 07:24:08 PM

It'd have to be coordinated to some degree between all agencies, but NJ never moved forward with the 14 freeway so I don't see anything changing on our side, which is much more of a lift than a few miles of CCP.
You know, I had to go out of my way to find your old link on that freeway.
https://web.archive.org/web/20060131095007/http://web.mit.edu/smalpert/www/roads/nj/nj-14.html

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Rothman on May 18, 2023, 06:37:33 PM

The NYS Budget Commission in 1950 did propose a dual Hudson River dam/Thruway bridge at Haverstraw around the same time the tests were conducted to determine what type of bridge would be built at Salisbury Point. The cost would have been about $200 million in 1950. They threw out the idea of the suspension bridge at the Salisbury Point (Tappan Zee) crossing. (A second dam would've been built at Chelsea.)
Adam Seth Moss

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 20, 2023, 09:43:11 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 18, 2023, 06:37:33 PM

The NYS Budget Commission in 1950 did propose a dual Hudson River dam/Thruway bridge at Haverstraw around the same time the tests were conducted to determine what type of bridge would be built at Salisbury Point. The cost would have been about $200 million in 1950. They threw out the idea of the suspension bridge at the Salisbury Point (Tappan Zee) crossing. (A second dam would've been built at Chelsea.)

Ok...since the Tappan Zee Bridge was completed sixty years ago...

Roadgeek Adam

Look, kernals asked if there had been any proposals. I brought it up.
Adam Seth Moss

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 19, 2023, 09:07:11 AM
Quote from: Alps on May 18, 2023, 07:24:08 PM

You know, I had to go out of my way to find your old link on that freeway.
https://web.archive.org/web/20060131095007/http://web.mit.edu/smalpert/www/roads/nj/nj-14.html

You know, you didn't have to. I consolidated all that into https://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/log/2.html#14

crispy93

I drove on the Cross County last week and noticed the signs for the Sprain/Bronx River were replaced with overhead signs with parkway shields on them. I really don't care for these because, compared to the old signs which you can also see on GSV, the shields are much harder to read: https://goo.gl/maps/rFP9k7VATpzNso3a6
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

dantheman

Does anyone know the story behind the short four-lane divided section of NY 17A, for the easternmost two-ish miles before its junction at NY 17? It seems to go back to two lanes at a completely unremarkable spot, rather than at a major intersection or destination. (I doubt the NY Renaissance Faire or the former ski area visible on the satellite view ever generated enough traffic to warrant this, and the four-lane stretch doesn't quite make it to those anyway.) It also just-barely misses making it the whole way to NY 17. While there's a bit of a climb WB here, it doesn't seem steep enough to warrant a climbing lane, and much steeper parts further west don't have one... and this would also fail to explain the second lane EB.
https://goo.gl/maps/eRijUaXVVoEdnkzeA

D-Dey65

New York made a big mistake tearing down the old toll booth for the Bear Mountain Bridge:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3201378,-73.9890365,109m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&entry=ttu
Observe this unlucky fellow trying to cross US 6 and 202 when the signs at the gantry tell everybody to keep moving.

Perhaps the better solution would've been to revive the old booth as a pedestrian bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.