News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: Duke87 on October 04, 2015, 09:33:18 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 04, 2015, 07:59:45 PM
Lowers the resale value. Seriously. If someone tries to sell it, the logo gives it away as a stolen sign.
Suggest, mind you - there are plenty of real NYCDOT signs in the wild without that text on them!

I'm not sure about highway signs from there, but, AFAIK, standard road signs installed on New York City streets are required to use the "DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION" label.

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Mergingtraffic

I heard on WCBS Newsradio 88 that there are some discussions to toll the East River bridges.  I'll try to find an article.

DeBlasio is in favor of exploring it but concedes there's not a push in Albany.  Also, the MTA could have enough money if funds are not deverted from the MTA to other things by Albany.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cl94

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 05, 2015, 09:01:59 PM
I heard on WCBS Newsradio 88 that there are some discussions to toll the East River bridges.  I'll try to find an article.

DeBlasio is in favor of exploring it but concedes there's not a push in Albany.  Also, the MTA could have enough money if funds are not deverted from the MTA to other things by Albany.

They've been talking about that for as long as I remember. It's under the same category as congestion pricing.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

The toll plan has been in the news a few times over the past year.  It would also include a toll to travel south of the Queensboro Bridge in Manhattan.

Would those funds to the MTA be regular funds on those funds that Cuomo promised them without specifying where they money would come from?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

If Sadik-Khan couldn't get it done, then the East River Bridges will never be tolled.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone think congestion pricing will ever come to NYC? I think if there is any place in the United States that should have congestion pricing, it is New York.

noelbotevera

Quote from: vdeane on October 06, 2015, 01:01:41 PM

The toll plan has been in the news a few times over the past year.  It would also include a toll to travel south of the Queensboro Bridge in Manhattan.

Would those funds to the MTA be regular funds on those funds that Cuomo promised them without specifying where they money would come from?
Funny thing is that Cuomo was the one who dropped putting the governors name on "Entering New York" signs when you enter New York on surface roads. If he does that, there's no way he's gonna get those funds. Besides, Cuomo lied to us when he promised those funds.

cl94

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 08, 2015, 05:44:07 PM

Funny thing is that Cuomo was the one who dropped putting the governors name on "Entering New York" signs when you enter New York on surface roads. If he does that, there's no way he's gonna get those funds. Besides, Cuomo lied to us when he promised those funds.

Pataki dropped it
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

xcellntbuy

Quote from: cl94 on October 08, 2015, 05:45:47 PM

Pataki dropped it
One of this first things he did as Governor, in fact.

mariethefoxy

Went to Jersey and back today to see a friend, here are my observations:

The HOV Lane project on the SIE/I-278 is complete, the sucky part however its HOV-3 instead of HOV-2 so its useless to me since I so rarely have more than one extra passenger, and never heading New Jersey bound.

The signage is similar to the HOV Lane on Long Island, green signs with the Diamond logo on the left pointing to a group of Exits,

^ |      TO
V | EXITS 12-9
   |   ½ MILE

The Travel time sign just past the I-295/I-695 split telling you the times to the George Washington bridge is incredibly handy. This time around (3pm on a friday) Going I-278 to I-87 and back up to I-95 to the bridge approach was faster. (went Throggs/GWB Westbound, and Outerbridge/Verezano Eastbound)

Theres some construction going on, on the Belt Parkway between Exit 9 and 11, probably another bridge replacement.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: mariethefoxy on October 10, 2015, 12:12:21 AM

The HOV Lane project on the SIE/I-278 is complete, the sucky part however its HOV-3 instead of HOV-2 so its useless to me since I so rarely have more than one extra passenger, and never heading New Jersey bound.

The signage is similar to the HOV Lane on Long Island, green signs with the Diamond logo on the left pointing to a group of Exits,

^ |      TO
V | EXITS 12-9
   |   ½ MILE

The Travel time sign just past the I-295/I-695 split telling you the times to the George Washington bridge is incredibly handy. This time around (3pm on a friday) Going I-278 to I-87 and back up to I-95 to the bridge approach was faster. (went Throggs/GWB Westbound, and Outerbridge/Verezano Eastbound)

Theres some construction going on, on the Belt Parkway between Exit 9 and 11, probably another bridge replacement.

Maybe they will drop it to HOV-2 at some point.  CT did that as well b/c of the lack of use of the lane.  It should've been a general purpose lane.

mariethefoxy

it was a badly implemented bus lane before it was expanded into this.

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 10, 2015, 09:32:18 PM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on October 10, 2015, 12:12:21 AM

^ |      TO
V | EXITS 12-9
   |   ½ MILE

Maybe they will drop it to HOV-2 at some point.  CT did that as well b/c of the lack of use of the lane.  It should've been a general purpose lane.
I do wonder. It's going to be a Bus/HOV lane, so all of the buses will get a nice ride, but there are Federal guidelines for utilization, which I believe require 500 riders/hour minimum at the peak utilization. NYSDOT (or whoever ends up operating the lane) may have to monitor volumes for a potential adjustment.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on October 11, 2015, 02:20:11 AM
I do wonder. It's going to be a Bus/HOV lane, so all of the buses will get a nice ride, but there are Federal guidelines for utilization, which I believe require 500 riders/hour minimum at the peak utilization.

If that requirement is measured in riders and not vehicles then the lane will have zero trouble meeting it. A quick check of express bus schedules suggests that between 7 and 8 AM on a weekday there are at least 47 buses using most or all of the HOV lane on Staten Island, with 71 more entering at or near the bridge and using it in Brooklyn. Given the intent for the lane to eventually be continuous across the bridge and all the way to the Battery Tunnel, HOV 3+ is reasonable. Even if they don't meet 500 riders per hour on the upstream end in the middle of Staten Island, the lanes overall will.

I suppose DOT could do 2+ in Staten Island and then 3+ upon reaching the bridge with all 2-occupancy vehicles required to exit the lane at that point, but that'd be needlessly confusing and cumbersome.

The trouble is that outside of rush hour the number of express buses is a tiny shadow of what it is during rush hour (some routes only run during rush hour). The old shorter HOV lane was woefully underused because outside of peak hours it was buses only when really outside of peak hours it should revert to general purpose like the lanes on the LIE do.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dgolub

Quote from: cl94 on October 08, 2015, 05:45:47 PM

Pataki dropped it

Yeah, with Cuomo's seemingly huge ego, it would have been out of character for him.

The Ghostbuster

This is probably unlikely to happen, but how about making the HOV Lane an HOT Lane?

noelbotevera

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 13, 2015, 03:42:57 PM
This is probably unlikely to happen, but how about making the HOV Lane an HOT Lane?
Where's the money? Cuomo and Pataki promised the funds, but there's no funds.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on October 13, 2015, 08:13:46 AM
Quote from: Alps on October 11, 2015, 02:20:11 AM
I do wonder. It's going to be a Bus/HOV lane, so all of the buses will get a nice ride, but there are Federal guidelines for utilization, which I believe require 500 riders/hour minimum at the peak utilization.

If that requirement is measured in riders and not vehicles then the lane will have zero trouble meeting it.
I meant vehicles. Vehicles riding in the lane = riders. It was 2 AM. Sorry.

Mergingtraffic

Driving on the Van Wyck recently and am amazed at how much bad signing there is from bubble shields to odd font on shields and BGSs.  I didn't take any pics b/c I just can't bring myself to photograph it.

So instead I give you this:

Mergingtraffic

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/10/decades_of_necessary_construct.html

Verrazano Bridge work...some things of interest:  the widening of the ramps to the Belt and Gowanus. 

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 14, 2015, 07:19:16 PM
Driving on the Van Wyck recently and am amazed at how much bad signing there is from bubble shields to odd font on shields and BGSs.  I didn't take any pics b/c I just can't bring myself to photograph it.

That's not even on the Van Wyck...

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 15, 2015, 12:23:23 PM
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/10/decades_of_necessary_construct.html

Verrazano Bridge work...some things of interest:  the widening of the ramps to the Belt and Gowanus. 
If you have questions about any of the many projects here, I have answers.

ixnay

Quote from: Alps on October 15, 2015, 06:40:14 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 14, 2015, 07:19:16 PM

That's not even on the Van Wyck...

Looks like the ramp from the NB Cross Island to the TNB.  I think Mergingtraffic's (love that handle) point is that the sign assembly has twice as many toll bridge signs as necessary.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 15, 2015, 12:23:23 PM

Oh good, so when the current work on the SIE "finishes," there will be an excuse for why there are still backups.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.