News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Philadelphia

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 03:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on February 17, 2022, 05:13:35 PM
OK, so I grew up in the Philly suburbs and watched Philly news always refer to downtown as "Center City". Yet, I never see a sign that says "Center City", just "Central Philadelphia". Is there a reason for this? Do they feel "Center City" is too unhelpful to the non-locals and "Center City Philadelphia" is too long for signs, so they adjust it to "Central Philadelphia" even though no one calls it that?

I guess just differences in terminology.  Only known it as Center City.  Even seeing the highway sign makes me think "Center City", even though that's not what the sign says.

Google Maps for the longest time called it "City Center", which lead a lot of tourists to think that's what they should call it to fit in, which it really did the opposite.

odditude

OK, so I grew up in the Philly suburbs and watched Philly news always refer to downtown as "Center City". Yet, I never see a sign that says "Center City", just "Central Philadelphia". Is there a reason for this? Do they feel "Center City" is too unhelpful to the non-locals and "Center City Philadelphia" is too long for signs, so they adjust it to "Central Philadelphia" even though no one calls it that?

i wonder if it's because "Center City" could actually be mistaken as an actual city name.

PHLBOS

Quote from: odditude on February 17, 2022, 05:56:29 PM

i wonder if it's because "Center City" could actually be mistaken as an actual city name.
That's exactly the reason why such isn't used on, at least primary, signage; such is not an actual city per MUTCD standards.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

The MUTCD often refers to names on big green signs as destinations.  In that respect, they don't specify exactly what should be used as a destination, but rather state that it should be relevant to the motorist and consistent on signage when approaching an exit.  Unincorporated towns, for example, are permitted, even though they're not official cities or towns.  So, there's nothing that says "Center City" is prohibited; it would be up the transportation department to determine if it's good enough.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 24, 2022, 12:12:36 AM

The MUTCD often refers to names on big green signs as destinations.  In that respect, they don't specify exactly what should be used as a destination, but rather state that it should be relevant to the motorist and consistent on signage when approaching an exit.  Unincorporated towns, for example, are permitted, even though they're not official cities or towns.  So, there's nothing that says "Center City" is prohibited; it would be up the transportation department to determine if it's good enough.
Except on 2-digit Interstates.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 6 News: Henry Avenue Periodic Lane Closure for Safety Project in Philadelphia

(Quoting email due to current lack of link for news release)  (link added at 12:50 PM EST)

QuoteKing of Prussia, PA — A periodic lane closure is scheduled on northbound Henry Avenue between Barnes Street and Port Royal Avenue in Philadelphia, on Monday, March 7, through Friday, March 11, from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, under a project to improve travel and safety on a 3.2-mile section of Henry Avenue, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) announced today.

Motorists are advised to allow extra time when traveling through the work area because backups and delays may occur. All scheduled activities are weather dependent.

Under this project, PennDOT's contractor will install or upgrade traffic signals at several intersections to include new mast arms, controllers, signal heads, timing optimization, signal interconnectivity and pedestrian countdown timers. Updated traffic signal timing will be implemented at the Walnut Lane intersection and a traffic signal will be installed at the Barnes Street Intersection, as well as a red-light warning flashing signal just north of the Port Royal Intersection.

Additional improvements on Henry Avenue include: New signing and roadway design features through pavement markings; Milling and resurfacing; Median widening; and Guiderail replacement.

To improve traffic flow and reduce congestion on Henry Avenue, improvements include: Extending the southbound restricted parking between Monastery Avenue and Walnut Lane; Eliminating the channelized right turn lanes at the Gates Street and Wigard Avenue intersections; Adding a raised concrete median at Valley Avenue to eliminate left turns; and Lengthening the northbound left turn lane at Livezey Lane.

To enhance pedestrian and bicyclist mobility, the contractor will construct a shared-use bicycle and pedestrian path along the east side of Henry Avenue between Barnes Street and Walnut Lane. Other safety enhancements include installing bump-outs at 15 intersections and ADA curb ramps at various intersections along the corridor.

The project will feature the addition of speed calming measures on this section of Henry Avenue that sees an average daily traffic volume of 29,000 vehicles daily. The features include 35 mph pavement markings adjacent to speed limit signs; oversized speed limit signs with orange diamonds; electronic speed feedback signs north of Leverington Avenue and north of Cinnaminson Street; and speed limit signs and hidden driveway signs south of Cinnaminson Street.

The project will also address storm water management through storm drainage, water facility relocation, and green stormwater infrastructure.

During construction, PennDOT will maintain traffic on Henry Avenue by utilizing long-term lane shifts and short-term lane closures.

Road-Con, Inc. of West Chester, Chester County is the general contractor on the $12.8 million project, which is financed with 100 percent federal funds. The entire project is scheduled to finish in late 2023. More information is available at www.Penndot.gov/HenryAvePhilly.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

ixnay

When will the ramps from the Betsy Ross Bridge to 95 be reopened?
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

odditude

Quote from: ixnay on March 22, 2022, 08:03:54 AM
When will the ramps from the Betsy Ross Bridge to 95 be reopened?

the latest on the project site is "spring."

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.