News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Thru Traffic

Started by Alex, March 07, 2011, 02:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on March 07, 2011, 07:32:06 PM
A 2nd to the thread above.  In my childhood day (1st generation interstation construction), I saw "Thru Traffic" overhead signs all over the place.  I think control cities on "pull-through" signs came late 60's or early 70's.
Control cities have been around longer than that in some areas. I've seen early-mid 60s pictures of control cities on "pull through" signs.

agentsteel53

I'd say about 1955 is when they started showing up in California - before that, it was the name of the freeway that was used.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Interstate Trav

Quote from: TheStranger on March 09, 2011, 02:30:54 PM
Quote from: Interstate Trav on March 09, 2011, 02:06:56 PM

On spurs as well, for example in California on I-210 westbound San Fernando and Sacramento, and on I-210 Eastbound Redlands and Palm Springs.

IIRC, Sacramento is presently only I-210's westbound control city starting in Sunland or so.

San Bernardino is the primary eastbound control city after Pasadena if I'm not mistaken.

Sacramento does show up on Mileage signs on 210 westbound once your out of Pasadena. 
Yes on 210 Eastbound San Bernardino is the control city after Pasadena.  But what I don't understand is that then Redlands and Mtn Resorts is the control point.  i always thought that Palm Springs should show up seeing how its the next main city along the 10 east.

TheStranger

Quote from: Interstate Trav on March 09, 2011, 10:05:10 PM

Yes on 210 Eastbound San Bernardino is the control city after Pasadena.  But what I don't understand is that then Redlands and Mtn Resorts is the control point.  i always thought that Palm Springs should show up seeing how its the next main city along the 10 east.

Is Palm Springs ever used as a control on I-10 as opposed to Indio or "other desert cities?"
Chris Sampang

Interstate Trav

Quote from: TheStranger on March 12, 2011, 03:05:10 PM
Quote from: Interstate Trav on March 09, 2011, 10:05:10 PM

Is Palm Springs ever used as a control on I-10 as opposed to Indio or "other desert cities?"

Palm Springs is used on a pull through sign at the 215/10 jct.  It says Redlands, Palm Springs.  Also Palm Springs appears as the control city on a couple of mileage signs on the 10 east.  60 East only uses Indio.

FreewayDan

Another Texas highway uses "Thru Traffic" as its control city: westbound President George Bush Turnpike at its junction with I-35E.

http://www.oscarmail.net/dfwfreeways/images/highwayInfo/190/driving/190_driving_20070428_IMG_5944
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

The Premier

Alex P. Dent

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.