News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

SW Pennsylvania

Started by rickmastfan67, November 30, 2011, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

(For PA 28)  PennDOT - District 11 News: Southbound Route 28 Ramp to the Highland Park Bridge Reconstruction Begins Monday in Allegheny County

(For I-70)  PennDOT - District 12 News: PennDOT Announces Virtual Plans Display for Interstate 70 Bentleyville to Belle Vernon Bridge Reconstruction Project in Washington County

QuoteA significant aspect of the project is the Lover Interchange (Exit 36), which is currently a half diamond. The Lover Interchange will be reconfigured to a full diamond interchange. In addition, Speers Interchange (Exit 39) and Charleroi/Allenport Interchange (Exit 40) acceleration & deceleration lanes will be improved. This project also includes improvements to drainage, guiderail, signing and pavement markings as well as Belle Vernon bridge preservation work.

(For PA 65)   PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 65 On-ramps to Southbound I-79 Reopen Friday in Allegheny County

74/171FAN

(For PA 28)  PennDOT - District 11 News: Southbound Route 28 Ramp to 40th Street Bridge Overnight Closures Continue in Pittsburgh

PennDOT - District 11 News: Northbound Highland Park Bridge Ramp to Southbound Route 28 Reopened in Sharpsburg

(For PA 837)  PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 837 East Carson Street Weekend Closures for Utility Work Sunday in Pittsburgh

(For US 22)   PennDOT - District 12 News: Eastbound Route 22 William Penn Highway Lane Restriction Scheduled Next Week in Washington County (only posting this one because PA 576 got an upgrade :-o)

QuotePennDOT District 12 would like to inform motorists that a single-lane restriction is scheduled for next week on eastbound Route 22 (William Penn Highway) between the I-576 interchange in Robinson Township, Washington County and the Allegheny County line.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

CE Expert System:

District 11:  (also affects US 19, US 22, US 30, and PA 51)  I-376/Banksville Interchange

QuoteThe project scope of work includes the following:

-Construct a new exit ramp from SR 376 EB to the SR 19/51 exit ramps.

o This new ramp will require a new structure over Banksville Road.

o A section of Banksville Road and the auxiliary lane between Banksville Road and the SR 19/51 exit ramp will be widened in order to place new concrete median barrier which will eliminate the weave movement through this area.

-Construct a new exit ramp from SR 19 EB (Banksville Road) to the SR 19/51 exit ramps.  This ramp will merge with the new exit ramp from SR 376.

o This new ramp will involve cutting into the existing hillside on the right and will require retaining walls.  This ramp will impact the existing Seldom Seen Greenway and involve a commercial business displacement.

-Construct an auxiliary lane from Ramp M (entrance ramp from SR 19/51 to SR 376 WB) to Ramp B (exit ramp from SR 376 WB to Parkway Center).

-Construct an auxiliary lane from the entrance ramp from Parkway Center to SR 376 EB to the proposed exit ramp at Banksville Road.

-Ramp E adjustments to the profile and superelevation will be completed to improve the existing substandard Ramp E vertical clearance.  Vertical clearance being increased from 12'-11" to 15'-1".

-Additional work will consist of the following:

o Updates to overhead signing as needed.

o Possible removal/partial removal of the West Side Beltway Railroad Bridge (not historic).

o Construction of Post Construction Stormwater Management Facilities

o Pavement markings.

o ITS relocations if needed and potential updates.

o Dynamic Message Sign and several ITS cameras along Banksville Road between Potomac Avenue and the interchange.

o Full depth widening and paving as required along SR 376 and Banksville Road.

o Provide a pull-off area and backup space for overheight trucks that miss the newly constructed SR 19/51 exit ramp to get to the SR 19/51 Northbound exit ramp (Ramp B).

74/171FAN

CanesFan27

A new feature on a Pittsburgh area highway - the Southern Expressway.

Opening in the Fall of 1992 - along with the new Midfield Terminal at Pittsburgh International Airport, the 7.5-mile long freeway is now part of Interstate 376.

Under a time crunch, the highway project took two years to complete and opened three weeks prior to the new terminal beginning operations.  It was built at the end of a freeway building boom around Pittsburgh.  The project also leveraged a few shelved plans - though not all of the old plans did or have made it to real pavement.

It is also the last non-tolled freeway/expressway project to open in the Pittsburgh area.

The full story can be found here:
https://www.gribblenation.org/2023/07/pittsburghs-southern-expressway-regions.html

CanesFan27

Over the spring, I received a few new leads on the history of the unbuilt PA 48 freeway east of Pittsburgh.  This included the first to my knowledge diagramed schematics of the Lincoln Way and Jacks Run/Center Road interchanges in White Oak Borough.

Much of the new information comes from a 1972 Environmental Impact Statement on the highway near McKeesport done by PennDOT.

Further detail on the plans to build the highway - the middle section from the Youghiogheny River to Pitcarin/Trafford Area was to be built first.  Right-of-way acquisition for over 100 homes and 26 businesses was underway.  An interchange at McClintock Road near White Oak County Park was removed.

From the drawings (shown from a different project) the White Oak interchange at Lincoln Way would not have been a cloverleaf.

The Northern Section - Pitcarin/Trafford to US 22 in Monroeville was under corridor selection.

It is suggested that the northern terminus of the freeway would have been about a mile east of the Pittsburgh Interchange (I-376/US 22) near where the former Burke Glen Park (now Levin Furniture and Sheetz).

The Southern Section from the Youghiogheny River to PA 51 in Southeastern Allegheny Count would be built last.  Preliminary engineering was just started, as of 1972.  It was estimated that roughly 100 homes would be taken in this section.  With an estimated 80 homes being purchased in the Elizabeth Township Community of Boston. 

(On a personal note - I grew up in Elizabeth Township, PA and this would have devastated the town of Boston along the Yough River.)

Link to the updated feature is below - and as always any new information or leads are welcomed.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2017/12/the-new-pa-48-unbuilt-eastern-allegheny.html

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.