News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best of Road Pictures

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, April 25, 2012, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Washington State Route 104 in Edmonds at the landing for the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry at the unsigned Washington State Route 524 at Main Street:

IMG_9797 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Eastbound Washington State Route 524 in Edmonds along Main Street:

IMG_9825 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The reverse westbound view on WA 524/Main Street towards the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry:

IMG_9826 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Washington State Route 3 southbound approaching Washington State Route 308:

308WAb by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

formulanone

I was just in that area last week, but running myself ragged at multiple locations...

Woodward Avenue, last month:

Bruce

BC-97 crossing Okanagan Lake near Kelowna on one of the longest floating bridges outside of Washington.

formulanone

Broseley, Missouri at sunrise this morning.

jakeroot

Max Rockatansky

Former US Route 99/Deadman's Curve of the Old Ridge Route and Interstate 5 in Grapevine Canyon:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Interstate 5 southbound facing Grapevine Canyon and a small portion of the Old Ridge Route in the median in Grapevine village:

IMG_0412 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Former US Route 99 on San Fernando Road with the Los Angeles Aqueduct overhead:

IMG_0481 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Sierra Highway (pre-1930 US Route 99, 1934-37 CA 7 and 1937-64 US Route 6) at Newhall Pass.  Beale's Cut of the 1850s Stockton-Los Angeles Road can be seen on the right:

IMG_0524 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Quillz

1850s? Wow. Every time I think the original sign routes from 1934 are old, I remember most of them are just assigning numbers to roads that were already close to a century old at that point.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Quillz on April 01, 2023, 10:12:59 PM
1850s? Wow. Every time I think the original sign routes from 1934 are old, I remember most of them are just assigning numbers to roads that were already close to a century old at that point.

The Stockton-Los Angeles Road is one of my personal favorites.  There are so many segments that are either abandoned or became modern highways but don't have the notoriety that Ridge Route has.  I kind of look at it as the prototype of US 99/CA 99 in the 20th century and proof that corridors are rarely developed in a vacuum.

The best map I've found depicting the Stockton-Los Angeles Road is the 1857 Britten & Rey's Map. 

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~188~10036:Britton-%26-Rey-s-Map-Of-The-State-Of?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:1857%20britton%20and%20rey%3Bsort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No%3Blc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=0&trs=2

Quillz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2023, 10:39:11 PM
Quote from: Quillz on April 01, 2023, 10:12:59 PM

The Stockton-Los Angeles Road is one of my personal favorites.  There are so many segments that are either abandoned or became modern highways but don't have the notoriety that Ridge Route has.  I kind of look at it as the prototype of US 99/CA 99 in the 20th century and proof that corridors are rarely developed in a vacuum.

The best map I've found depicting the Stockton-Los Angeles Road is the 1857 Britten & Rey's Map. 

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~188~10036:Britton-%26-Rey-s-Map-Of-The-State-Of?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:1857%20britton%20and%20rey%3Bsort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No%3Blc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=0&trs=2

Tulare Lake! That's neat, I've never actually seen its boundaries before. Also the county borders changed quite a bit, including defunct Klamath County.

Quillz

Perfect spec three-digit miner spade. Love the background scenery (always had a soft spot for the Owens Valley/Great Basin area). The only thing this is missing is a directional banner, as this is shortly past the Nevada border and is clearly on a westward orientation.

EDIT: The "6" might be slightly crooked, but that's a minor issue.

Max Rockatansky

US Route 101 northbound approaching downtown Los Angeles along the Santa Ana Freeway:

Interstate 5 northbound in Grapevine Canyon descending through a blook of Californian Poppies:

Max Rockatansky

Significant haul on the current trip.

US 60 eastbound at the Queen Creek Tunnel:

IMG_1733 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_1735 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The abandoned of Claypool Tunnel of pre-1952 US 60-70:

IMG_1767 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Former US 60-70 on Magma Avenue at the Queen Creek Arch Bridge in Superior:

IMG_1818 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

US 60 eastbound departing Apache Junction:

IMG_1600 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Arizona State Route 74 eastbound crossing the Agua Fria River:

IMG_1549 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

California State Route 247 southbound between Barstow and Lucerne Valley with the San Bernardino Mountains in the background:

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

formulanone

AsphaltPlanet

Yeah, I bought a lightweight DJI drone last fall. This is one of my favourite shots that I have taken with it.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Max Rockatansky

Monterey County Route G14 north of Jolon:

IMG_2932 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

D-Dey65

I like this sign I found online:
https://www.doityourselfrv.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/rest-area-RVs-728x400.jpg
I was looking for more "Next Services XXXX-Miles signs when I stumbled upon it.  I want to get a photo of one along US 19-98 the next time I'm in Inglis.

D-Dey65

I also remember when signs like this one in New Jersey were more common in New York and other states, one of which was along NY 113 near the point where Sunrise Highway was under construction back in the day.

Max Rockatansky

Oatman Highway (1926-1952 US Route 66):

IMG_4038 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Former US 66-89 in downtown Williams, AZ:

AZ 66/Old US 66 in Valentine:

IMG_3388 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Former US 66 along Crookton Road east of Crookton siding:

IMG_3647 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Interstate 11 approaching Lake Mead:

Former US 93-466 at Hoover Dam:

IMG_3128 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

formulanone

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on May 23, 2023, 12:49:12 PM
Yeah, I bought a lightweight DJI drone last fall. This is one of my favourite shots that I have taken with it.

Knowing very little about drones, does that have its own camera or did you mount a different one to it? The image quality is quite sharp and clean.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: formulanone on June 06, 2023, 02:32:43 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on May 23, 2023, 12:49:12 PM

Knowing very little about drones, does that have its own camera or did you mount a different one to it? The image quality is quite sharp and clean.

It does have it's own little camera affixed to it.  The drone has a camera that is akin to that of a good smartphone camera.  To be honest it's not quite up the quality that I am used to with my mirrorless camera that I normally use, but the camera quality is pretty good.  To my knowledge the DJI Air 3 is the first ultralight drone to have a camera with good quality on it.  I had waited for a long time before pulling the trigger to buy the drone because until then most of the ultralight drones had pretty potato quality cameras.

AsphaltPlanet

Max Rockatansky

Cannery Row in Monterey, California:

IMG_4259 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CanesFan27

It's more signs - but I just really like how this one turned out from last week.

IMG_2246 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

Hunty2022

Two of my best road/sign pictures:

I tried zooming out my camera for once. Photo taken 6/6/23.

I tried another photo style, this is the best image taken this way. Photo taken 6/3/23.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.