AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: West Virginia  (Read 106812 times)

logan230

• ultra lurker and BGS fanatic

• Last Login: February 15, 2024, 05:51:05 PM
West Virginia
« on: October 16, 2014, 05:42:37 PM »

There's a Delaware topic, a VA topic, MD, DC. Not West Virginia.
Here you go.
Post whatever you want that's related to the Eastern Panhandle West Virginia.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 07:35:48 PM by Scott5114 »

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
Re: West Virginia
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 05:59:06 PM »

Post whatever you want that's related to the Eastern Panhandle.

We have gone well beyond the Eastern Panhandle counties in the Mid-Atlantic forum, notably in discussing ADHS Corridor H. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

seicer

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:02:08 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 03:59:36 PM »

This might be going a bit high. 65 MPH-70 MPH is fine for four-lanes and corridor routes, and 70 MPH is fine for interstates. I can see 75 MPH on certain segments, like I-64 east of Beckley, but for I-64 near Huntington? No. The bill would also not allow for 80 MPH speeds in cities, so you can scratch higher speeds inside Huntington, Charleston, Martinsburg, et. al.

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Proposed-bill-would-raise--468637773.html

"A bill introduced in the W.Va. Senate aims raise the speed limit on the interstate and four-lane highways."

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 04:15:02 PM »

This might be going a bit high. 65 MPH-70 MPH is fine for four-lanes and corridor routes, and 70 MPH is fine for interstates. I can see 75 MPH on certain segments, like I-64 east of Beckley, but for I-64 near Huntington? No. The bill would also not allow for 80 MPH speeds in cities, so you can scratch higher speeds inside Huntington, Charleston, Martinsburg, et. al.

"A bill introduced in the W.Va. Senate aims raise the speed limit on the interstate and four-lane highways."

Traffic already moves around 80 mph between about Barboursville and St. Albans. It's not uncommon for me to look at the speedometer somewhere between Mall Road and Milton and see I'm going 85 mph, and still getting passed right and left.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheOneKEA

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 07:28:25 PM
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 09:21:15 AM »

I-81’s twin bridges are currently being rebuilt/rehabbed by MDOT SHA. Will WVDOT be making any changes to I-81 between US 11 and the Potomac after this project is completed?

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 12:02:41 PM »

^ Yes.  Besides being a full bridge replacement project, it will widen 81 to 6 lanes from MD 63/68 down to the existing 6-lane section in West Virginia at Exit 23.

Revive 755

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 10:56:10 PM
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 12:27:19 PM »

IMHO the bill needs to be rewritten since it does not allow an 80 mph zone that would "pass through the city limits of municipalities."  Granted I am not familiar with how local governments operate in West Virginia, but elsewhere they have a habit of annexing along the highway even if there are no interchanges.  The restriction would lead to speed limits not matching what the road could handle, and possibly new speed trap opportunities.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:36:44 PM
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 03:16:26 PM »

SB 96, the 80mph bill, isn't going anywhere. It was introduced last year as SB 627 and never left committee.

Much of WV's Interstate and Corridor network was built with a 65mph design speed. WVDOH has to get design exceptions from FHWA on projects now to keep the 70mph speed limit, as justified by low accident rates. I can't see FHWA granting design exceptions with an 80mph speed limit.

FWIW, the Commissioner of Highways has the ability to set speed limits now with no maximum limit in state code.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 01:28:16 PM »

Quote from: Bitmapped
FWIW, the Commissioner of Highways has the ability to set speed limits now with no maximum limit in state code.

But I imagine would be highly unlikely to approve an 80 MPH speed limit on a roadway with a 65 MPH design speed...

cpzilliacus

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 02:31:27 PM »

But I imagine would be highly unlikely to approve an 80 MPH speed limit on a roadway with a 65 MPH design speed...

Agreed.  It might also be engineering malpractice to post a limit that much above the design speed (I also have to wonder if a licensed professional engineer would want to stamp something like that - if an engineer's stamp is required).

I am personally fine with posting a limit up to (but not above) the design speed (but I am not a P.E.).

Beyond all of that, there's a fair amount of out-of-state traffic on many West Virginia Interstate highways, and at least some of those out-of-state drivers are not familiar with the twists and turns of Mountaineer State freeways, which  might increase crash risks.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

tckma

• I only came for the Appelflappen!

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 03:16:37 PM
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 02:55:44 PM »

I-81’s twin bridges are currently being rebuilt/rehabbed by MDOT SHA. Will WVDOT be making any changes to I-81 between US 11 and the Potomac after this project is completed?

I happened to drive on that part of I-81 rather early this morning doing property and business inspections for my second job.  There is active construction work (read: I saw workers wearing hard hats and reflective vests walking and chatting) present on both the Maryland and West Virginia sides of the Potomac leading up to the new metal girders that Maryland SHA, excuse me, Maryland MDOT SHA, have put up for a replacement bridge.  The new construction seems to go WAY too far into WV for it to be all led by Maryland MDOT SHA.  I can't remember if the new pavement went past the US-11 exit.  Construction certainly stops before the WV-901 exit.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:01:22 PM
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 04:52:47 PM »

I can't remember if the new pavement went past the US-11 exit.  Construction certainly stops before the WV-901 exit.

No, I-81 is already 6 lanes south of there from US 11 (Exit 23) to WV 45 (Exit 12).  The new construction there will extend that 6-lane section into Maryland.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:36:44 PM
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 11:12:55 PM »

I happened to drive on that part of I-81 rather early this morning doing property and business inspections for my second job.  There is active construction work (read: I saw workers wearing hard hats and reflective vests walking and chatting) present on both the Maryland and West Virginia sides of the Potomac leading up to the new metal girders that Maryland SHA, excuse me, Maryland MDOT SHA, have put up for a replacement bridge.  The new construction seems to go WAY too far into WV for it to be all led by Maryland MDOT SHA.  I can't remember if the new pavement went past the US-11 exit.  Construction certainly stops before the WV-901 exit.

MDSHA is handling the entire project, including the WV sections up to the current end of the 6-lane segment at US 11. WVDOH is reimbursing Maryland for its expenses in West Virginia.

SP Cook

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 10:29:11 AM
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 10:37:12 AM »

Beyond all of that, there's a fair amount of out-of-state traffic on many West Virginia Interstate highways, and at least some of those out-of-state drivers are not familiar with the twists and turns of Mountaineer State freeways, which  might increase crash risks.

Mountain State.  Anyway, leaving aside the design malpractice that is the northern third of the WV Turnpike, the same sorts of thing was said when the SL went from 55 to 65 and then from 65 to 70.  And the sayers were dead wrong.  They are again.  Average speeds on the rural parts of WV's lightly traveled interstates could easily be 80 or more, and an increase in the SL (and a removal of traffic lights) on the ARC system is needed even more so.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 11:35:22 AM »

Average speeds on the rural parts of WV's lightly traveled interstates could easily be 80 or more, and an increase in the SL (and a removal of traffic lights) on the ARC system is needed even more so.

Would love to see the signals on Corridor H at WV-92 (just west of Elkins) and at U.S. 250 (where it leaves Corridor H to head north toward Philippi) removed.

tckma

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »

I was driving in WV this morning (on WV 45 from the MD state line toward Martinsburg), and I saw some new route shields I'd never seen before -- they were like your weird fractional county routes, but in a "home plate" shaped shield.

I can't find an example in GMSV, but the imagery along WV45 is several years old.

What is this?

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 09:05:41 PM »

I was driving in WV this morning (on WV 45 from the MD state line toward Martinsburg), and I saw some new route shields I'd never seen before -- they were like your weird fractional county routes, but in a "home plate" shaped shield.

I can't find an example in GMSV, but the imagery along WV45 is several years old.

What is this?
"Driveway routes" - they're so small they're not even secondary or tertiary (triangle - yes there are more shapes) routes. Basically they feed a few homes and that's it. The most basic possible maintenance, but still state maintained.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 10:45:20 PM »

Yes, they're called HARP routes -- Home Access Road Program. SP Cook can give a better definition of their history, but basically they are roads that serve two or more homes that otherwise may not have been in the public maintenance fold. Now they are.

SP Cook

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 10:31:30 AM »

HARP.  Home Access Road Program.  Political program of late Gov. Underwood (97-01).  WV has a long history of "orphan roads" which are just roads that developed to serve housing and commerce, built by the community, or the coal companies, or whatever.  Had been a serious political issue for a long time.  This was Underwood's answer. 

Program was abused to some degree.  Pretty much the state would give you a sign and a promise to perfom "as is maintance" if the neighbors would all sign a petition.  Lots of "roads" that were really just driveways, and lots of much more modern suburban tract housing streets were taken in.  State make no legal claim to real estate ownership. 

Next governor cancelled the program on day one. 

The symbol is supposed to by a house, think the little houses in Monopoly.  The proper way to index such a road is "County HARP #".  Numbering system is seperate from the regular County numbers.  Some counties used the unique to WV "fractional" system, some did not.

tckma

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 10:28:43 PM »

Interesting.  So, these were basically political favors to very small neighborhoods, just to give their driveway a route number?

SP Cook

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 09:16:08 AM »

Interesting.  So, these were basically political favors to very small neighborhoods, just to give their driveway a route number?

Pretty much.  The long answer is that, unique to the coal producing area of Appalachia, mostly WV and eastern KY, there is the issue of so-called "orphan roads".   These are just roads that just developed in rural areas, built by the coal or gas companies, or just built over time by settlers, or whatever. 

Lots of these became "county routes" in the 1960s, following a federal raid on abusive DOH practices, but that still left lots of people living on roads that did not show up on the map, so to speak.  No legal way to maintain, as the DOT cannot spend money off the system.  Leads to lots of issues (safety, who can drive there, school buses, ambulance/911, lots of things).  Issue for many years.  Underwood's idea was this HARP thing.  The intention was good.  He was talking about legitimate roads in rural areas that served a community. 

Problem was it got abused in two ways.  Lots of people, literally, got their driveway in the sytem (often named for themselves, BTW, I could have lived on Cook Road) and, in the more normal part of the state, lots of suburban tract housing became HARP roads.  This was really just a sign, so NBD.  But the main abuse, and it continues to this day, is now all of these HARP roads are in the state system and while the long ago promise was "as is maintainance", that is undefined, and if you know the right pol, you can get your driveway or your entire suburban tract housing development, paved.

Which, of course, takes money away from actual through highways.

seicer

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:02:08 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
West Virginia (excuding Eastern Panhandle)
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 10:14:06 AM »

Proposed route: Map, between OH 7 at Fairland East Elementary School and WV 193.

Lawrence County, Barboursville connector bridge study to happen

A feasibility study for a bridge connecting State Route 7 in Rome Township to the Merrit’s Creek connector and West Virginia State Route 2 will officially take place.

At Tuesday’s commission meeting, which took place at the Tri-State STEM+M School, the commission agreed to join with Cabell County, West Virginia, the city of Barboursville, West Virginia and KYOVA Regional Interstate Planning Commission in funding the study, which is proposed to cost $250,000, county auditor Jason Stephens said.

“This is something that we’ve talked about for years and years and years,”  Stephens said. “The two roads directly line up with each other across the Ohio River, and this could ultimately lead to an outer belt.”

SP Cook

Re: West Virginia (excuding Eastern Panhandle)
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 11:13:25 AM »

This idea has been around for a long time.  If you combine such a bridge with completion of the long delayed OH 7 from the 5th St. Bridge to the 31st St. Bridge, you have something of a poor man's beltway comprised of WV 193 - OH 7 - US 52 - and I-64 for Huntington, or by yet more extension, this plus  52 and a completed Industrial Parkway in KY for the whole Tri-State region. 

Current politics in both OH and WV say that such a bridge is a longshot.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 12:30:33 PM »

Saw this earlier in the week. I noticed several years ago that the end of the reconstructed OH 7 lines up perfectly with the end of WV 193, and thought that this would be a great location for a bridge.

Before WV 193 was built, if I was traveling south on WV 2, instead of going on into Huntington to make a connection with I-64, I crossed the new eastern bridge, and used OH 7 and US 52 to connect with I-64. It was easier than dealing with all the traffic lights on WV 2 and US 60, or going on through downtown and using WV 10 to reach the interstate.

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 09:33:38 PM
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 09:40:26 PM »

If they ever do this it'll be interesting to see how it gets routed and what would get eminent domained. Looks like there's a WV airfield and an OH elementary school that are pretty much in the way for a straight on shot.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.