News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on March 03, 2023, 03:48:59 PM

Yet in the erroneous overhead photo, the City of Fredericksburg, did get the routes right on the ground mounted shields beyond the overhead assembly.

Only 2 of them are correct.  Here they are where you can see them - https://goo.gl/maps/RpScRCAewzhp9avq8

When i first moved to the area there used to be remnant signage for US 17 Truck and VA 2 Truck.  That is likely the source of the US 17 and VA 2 signs that are in this newer assembly.  US 17 has never used the US 1 Fredericksburg Bypass and neither has VA 2.

There used to be another assembly of these same 4 shields further south - https://goo.gl/maps/peEj5jCE5bgUDoor9

By the time i got here 26 years ago, there were no shields telling you how to get to US 17 or VA 2 once you started down the bypass (you would take VA 3 east) though you do run into US 17 in about 5 miles.

1995hoo

It's really quite striking how much more of a defined shape the Virginia state highway shield had on that old BGS, and on the old map seen above, compared to the rounded blobby-looking thing it's transformed into in more recent years.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 03, 2023, 02:11:22 PM
Interestingly, the sign also shows "US-17"  on that route, when US-17 was re-routed over 50 years ago onto I-95.

More specifically, CTB minutes say November, 1969 is when US 17 was rerouted onto I-95 and the "bypass" south of Fredericksburg.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on March 03, 2023, 08:07:35 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on March 03, 2023, 02:11:22 PM
Interestingly, the sign also shows "US-17"  on that route, when US-17 was re-routed over 50 years ago onto I-95.

More specifically, CTB minutes say November, 1969 is when US 17 was rerouted onto I-95 and the "bypass" south of Fredericksburg.

That is over 50 years ago (I certainly have reason to be aware of said number this year...)

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/EwMTXz8d2zGPKxSW8
Is this a temporary bridge being built for EB I-64 on the HRBT?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sprjus4

^ Yes, it opened a couple weeks ago.

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/New-Traffic-Pattern-on-I-64-East-at-HRBT-Starts-Sunday--February-19.html?soid=1132998776519&aid=vEHSWTG-nEM

https://youtu.be/j9oWOMaRJ3g

It's quite a seamless transition and is very smoothly done. They had the speed limit on the entire bridge-tunnel reduced to 45 mph the last (and only time since this shift was implemented) time I drove it, with traffic moving 65-70 mph as per usual (when it's not stopped in miles of traffic). Not sure if the 45 mph was temporary at the time or will remain through the project, but there was certainly no need for it. Even the temporary bridge shift was easily navigable maintaining around 60 mph with the flow of traffic, and very smoothly (no sudden shifts / turns).

sprjus4

And the 45 mph limit is funny because in the tunnel, those little flashing signs reading "Maintain 55"  were still displayed.

VTGoose

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 24, 2023, 01:47:23 PM

During free flow, outside of those few corners, the speed limit could reasonably go to 70 mph. The problem with retaining the 65 mph limit is the lack of compliance... to the point about speed differential, aren't you theoretically creating now 3 speed differentials? You have variances between trucks going slower, cars sticking closer to the 65 mph limit, then those going closer to 80 mph. If you raised the limit, you would bridge the gap between the latter two, and have increased compliance.

Speed limit really didn't matter on "Flatlander Sunday" when we came northbound. The adaptive cruise control got a workout as people had great difficulty maintaining a steady speed up and down the rolling hills from the top of Fancy Gap to I-81. Both lanes were clogged, including a number of trucks that added to the fun and two Carrol Co. deputies in their usual spots. While I'm usually not overly upset about "left lane hogs" there were too many who didn't understand how to drive on hills -- you pick up speed in the dip and start fact to be able to maintain speed, not maintain speed and slow down as you climb and refuse to move to the right lane to let others pass. While not on a par of I-95 in South Carolina, I-77 could benefit from six lanes on many days; at a minimum some climbing lanes to keep traffic flowing.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

1995hoo

Quote from: VPIGoose on March 06, 2023, 10:13:52 AM
Speed limit really didn't matter on "Flatlander Sunday" when we came northbound. The adaptive cruise control got a workout as people had great difficulty maintaining a steady speed up and down the rolling hills from the top of Fancy Gap to I-81. ....

How well does your adaptive cruise control do in terms of holding your speed in the mountains, assuming for discussion purposes that there's nobody in front of you causing it to slow you down? I ask because the only one of our cars with adaptive cruise control is my wife's Acura TLX–which, perhaps not coincidentally, is the only one of our cars with an automatic transmission–and I find it will pick up considerable speed on a downhill if there's nobody in front of us. That even happens on residential streets: If I'm coming back from Wegmans and I set the adaptive cruise control at 35 mph in the 35-mph zone, there's one larger downhill and the car will be going 45 or 50 at the bottom of the hill if I don't intervene to slow it down.

The reason I cite the automatic transmission is that my manual-equipped TL and her manual-equipped RSX don't have the same problem–they generally hold the set speed quite well on downhills, although of course they just have conventional cruise control and not the adaptive variety–and I noticed over the years that when I drove my parents' automatic-equipped cars they would tend to pick up speed on downhills as well despite the cruise control being engaged.

sprjus4

Quote from: VTGoose on March 06, 2023, 10:13:52 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on February 24, 2023, 01:47:23 PM

During free flow, outside of those few corners, the speed limit could reasonably go to 70 mph. The problem with retaining the 65 mph limit is the lack of compliance… to the point about speed differential, aren’t you theoretically creating now 3 speed differentials? You have variances between trucks going slower, cars sticking closer to the 65 mph limit, then those going closer to 80 mph. If you raised the limit, you would bridge the gap between the latter two, and have increased compliance.

Speed limit really didn't matter on "Flatlander Sunday" when we came northbound. The adaptive cruise control got a workout as people had great difficulty maintaining a steady speed up and down the rolling hills from the top of Fancy Gap to I-81. Both lanes were clogged, including a number of trucks that added to the fun and two Carrol Co. deputies in their usual spots. While I'm usually not overly upset about "left lane hogs" there were too many who didn't understand how to drive on hills -- you pick up speed in the dip and start fact to be able to maintain speed, not maintain speed and slow down as you climb and refuse to move to the right lane to let others pass. While not on a par of I-95 in South Carolina, I-77 could benefit from six lanes on many days; at a minimum some climbing lanes to keep traffic flowing.

Bruce in Blacksburg
I had a similar experience southbound there a few weeks ago… probably a good 5-10 mile portion north of US-58 where traffic was clogged in both lanes by many trucks dragging along at 50-55 mph for what seemed like forever… then of course those that decide to slog along at 60 mph once past them in the left lane, not picking back speed.

I finally got past and once to Fancy Gap, was literally zero traffic going over, very nice ride - beautiful view - and just cruised with the speed set around 75 mph.

Either way, while traffic issues are definitely present on that portion of I-77 - it doesn’t change the fact the speed limit should be set to account for free-flow conditions. My northbound trip was largely traffic free, and I was countlessly being passed with my cruise at around 77-78 mph (posted 65 mph limit). I-81 has just as much truck traffic and peak traffic problems, along with a few climbing problematic areas, and yet is posted 70 mph the whole way (except Christiansburg Mountain / Roanoke in that general area). I naturally had assumed I-77 was also 70 mph and was surprised it wasn’t. I did drive I-77 north of I-81 to West Virginia a few months back, and that portion is all 70 mph except 55 mph through the tunnels (I feel like 60 mph could work there, but who knows).

plain

As if the Richmond metro doesn't already have a hundred businesses competing for our dollars, here comes, of all things, a Buc-ees  :colorful:

https://www.nbc12.com/2023/03/06/buc-ees-could-be-coming-virginia/
Newark born, Richmond bred

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: plain on March 06, 2023, 12:51:48 PM
As if the Richmond metro doesn't already have a hundred businesses competing for our dollars, here comes, of all things, a Buc-ees  :colorful:

https://www.nbc12.com/2023/03/06/buc-ees-could-be-coming-virginia/

Going after the lucrative OBX vacationer market. That's a pretty good location for them.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

sprjus4

I was expecting Virginia to be next... especially after the one on I-40/85 west of Durham was rejected a couple years back.

I was not expecting the location to be along I-64. I was expecting their next location north to be along the I-95 corridor north of Richmond... that would enable them to capture I-85 and I-95 traffic, plus I-64 from the east traffic, all in one "funnel" . Building on I-64 east of Richmond is certainly economically viable given all the tourist traffic in the summer, but I just thought I-95 would be better. I'm not complaining though... would love to have a location just a couple hours away and right off the highway for any westbound trip out of Hampton Roads, whether to I-64 west or I-95 north of Richmond.

Interestingly, this project, assuming it gets approved, would be under construction during the same time frame that I-64 is being expanded. The section of I-64 from MM 205 to 214 is going to be expanded to 6 lanes beginning next year. I imagine associated interchange improvements at Exit 211 for this new development will be funded by Buc-ees and built during the same time frame as interstate construction.

plain

I think I-95 north of I-295 would be a better location as well, like maybe at VA 30 somewhere. But I guess the way New Kent County is growing, shouldn't be much of a shock. Still a great location.

1995hoo

Quote from: plain on March 06, 2023, 04:54:41 PM
I think I-95 north of I-295 would be a better location as well, like maybe at VA 30 somewhere. But I guess the way New Kent County is growing, shouldn't be much of a shock. Still a great location.

I note there is already a truck stop at that interchange (along with a slightly bigger business called Kings Dominion) and I wonder whether and to what extent that might factor into whether VA-30 would be an unacceptable location.

plain

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 06, 2023, 05:28:47 PM
Quote from: plain on March 06, 2023, 04:54:41 PM

I note there is already a truck stop at that interchange (along with a slightly bigger business called Kings Dominion) and I wonder whether and to what extent that might factor into whether VA-30 would be an unacceptable location.

I threw VA 30 out there because there's way too many truck stops at VA 207, and Ashland is definitely a no-no. Not much room for it at SR 802 and definitely not at SR 686. Maybe Ladysmith?

Mapmikey

Don't know how far off the interstate they are willing to be, but between US 1 and the RR on VA 30 west of I-95 there's room for a mid-size Buc-ees.

Ladysmith and Thornburg looks like there is room but nothing further north than that.

VTGoose

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 06, 2023, 11:44:39 AM
Quote from: VPIGoose on March 06, 2023, 10:13:52 AM
Speed limit really didn't matter on "Flatlander Sunday" when we came northbound. The adaptive cruise control got a workout as people had great difficulty maintaining a steady speed up and down the rolling hills from the top of Fancy Gap to I-81. ....

How well does your adaptive cruise control do in terms of holding your speed in the mountains, assuming for discussion purposes that there's nobody in front of you causing it to slow you down? I ask because the only one of our cars with adaptive cruise control is my wife's Acura TLX–which, perhaps not coincidentally, is the only one of our cars with an automatic transmission–and I find it will pick up considerable speed on a downhill if there's nobody in front of us.

We have a 2018 Honda Odyssey Touring, so it has the adaptive cruise, lane keep assist, and brake warning systems. For our now-regular trips between the mountains and the gulf, it has been great. As you say, though, the car will speed up going down a hill, which means braking to avoid getting too far above the speed limit. I'm not sure if that is a function or malfunction of the speed control, although it isn't a critical problem. The best vehicle I've had for rock-steady cruise control speed was a 15-passenger Ford Econoline van (1980-something model).

I think I finally gave up on the cruise control on I-77 because it was jumping up in speed then braking entirely too much for comfort with the yahoos in front of me who were unable to maintain a steady speed. In fact, that is one of the biggest frustrations on these trips -- the driver who sits in the left lane micropassing and backing up traffic behind them, but who speeds up once they move to the right lane until they pull over to pass again. Too many people drive with their head up their ass.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

mglass87

D-Dey65

I was looking at a Virginia is for Lovers sign on I-95 at the Skippers Welcome Center, and something just dawned on me. When I-95 is finally six-laned south of Petersburg, not only will the entrance to that welcome center have to be moved south of the VA-NC border, but the entire parking lot will have to be moved on the opposite side of the building. Because the current parking lot will have to be replaced with the third northbound lane.

sprjus4

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 27, 2023, 07:20:29 PM
I was looking at a Virginia is for Lovers sign on I-95 at the Skippers Welcome Center, and something just dawned on me. When I-95 is finally six-laned south of Petersburg, not only will the entrance to that welcome center have to be moved south of the VA-NC border, but the entire parking lot will have to be moved on the opposite side of the building. Because the current parking lot will have to be replaced with the third northbound lane.
That rest area is honestly due for an entire replacement, given its location along I-95 and being the welcome center for long haul travelers entering Virginia.

Either way though... 6 lane widening of I-95 in Virginia isn't a current planned project anytime in the next decade. And even if they wished to retain the existing rest area / parking lot layout (it needs a full replacement), median widening would prevent anything from being touched. That section of I-95 has a 40 foot grassy median, and the new northbound lane could be constructed inside of it. For southbound, construct the new lane to the outside.

D-Dey65

40 feet? The damn thing looks like it's barely 20 feet!

sprjus4

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 27, 2023, 11:42:48 PM
40 feet? The damn thing looks like it's barely 20 feet!
From yellow line to yellow line, it measures out to 39 ft.

The left paved shoulders in this area are around 6 ft wide, which make the grassy portion 27 ft.

Typically median width is described in terms from yellow line to yellow line, to include the inside paved shoulder. For example, a modern 4 lane highway with a 46 ft median would have 34 ft of grassy area and 8 ft of pavement (4 ft left shoulder on either side).

In this specific instance, the 39 ft space is more than enough to add a 12 foot lane and 10 foot paved left shoulder if widening were to ever occur.

sprjus4

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 06, 2023, 07:15:10 AM
It's quite a seamless transition and is very smoothly done. They had the speed limit on the entire bridge-tunnel reduced to 45 mph the last (and only time since this shift was implemented) time I drove it, with traffic moving 65-70 mph as per usual (when it's not stopped in miles of traffic). Not sure if the 45 mph was temporary at the time or will remain through the project, but there was certainly no need for it. Even the temporary bridge shift was easily navigable maintaining around 60 mph with the flow of traffic, and very smoothly (no sudden shifts / turns).
I drove through there again recently, and it was posted at 55 mph, so this 45 mph reduction must have been a temporary thing. Not sure what though.

WillWeaverRVA

It appears that VDOT's SMART SCALE program is going to be reevaluated in the coming months:

https://www.henricocitizen.com/articles/virginia-to-conduct-in-depth-review-of-smart-scale-process/
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.