News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvak36

Quote from: Tonytone on June 12, 2020, 12:02:33 AM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 11, 2020, 11:31:16 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on June 11, 2020, 08:35:37 PM

What font is this? This isn't the regular deldot font.

An awful one - or is it the spacing.  Is that a current photo?  That looks like the entrance from 141.  Looking at the Streetview image, the different sign shown on that gantry in the October 2019 capture looks better and in perfectly good condition.  Was the "Exit Only" on that sign not applicable anymore - It looks like it still is, but that might be temporary for the construction.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6991075,-75.6034972,3a,76.5y,177.24h,85.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDccnwp4wN7pX-od4AJG0Ug!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DDccnwp4wN7pX-od4AJG0Ug%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D56.655712%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192
Yup it is 141 295 Exit.

Alot of construction is currently going on in that area so im not sure why they changed a already new sign again. 

But that font is really ugly, Just as bad as clearview.

iPhone
It's not great but it's better than Clearview (I'm biased there). I saw a similar font near the Birmingham area last year. I don't know why they decided to use this font (in Alabama or Delaware).

iPhone
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

tolbs17

iPhone
That looks so childish looking. I HATE it.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mvak36 on June 12, 2020, 03:19:03 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on June 12, 2020, 12:02:33 AM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 11, 2020, 11:31:16 PM

An awful one - or is it the spacing.  Is that a current photo?  That looks like the entrance from 141.  Looking at the Streetview image, the different sign shown on that gantry in the October 2019 capture looks better and in perfectly good condition.  Was the "Exit Only" on that sign not applicable anymore - It looks like it still is, but that might be temporary for the construction.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6991075,-75.6034972,3a,76.5y,177.24h,85.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDccnwp4wN7pX-od4AJG0Ug!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DDccnwp4wN7pX-od4AJG0Ug%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D56.655712%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192
Yup it is 141 295 Exit.

Alot of construction is currently going on in that area so im not sure why they changed a already new sign again. 

But that font is really ugly, Just as bad as clearview.

iPhone
It's not great but it's better than Clearview (I'm biased there). I saw a similar font near the Birmingham area last year. I don't know why they decided to use this font (in Alabama or Delaware).

iPhone

It's horrible. You can barely read the destinations in a still photo. Imagine driving at the speed limit of 50 mph approaching this exit trying to figure out what the sign says.

odditude

it is, actually - just done completely wrong.

the definitions for the typefaces specify that lowercase letters are 75% the height of uppercase characters. this means that a lowercase "x" is 75% the height of an uppercase "X" - and also means that a lowercase "b" is the SAME height as an uppercase "B." in computer terms, they're the same font size.

unfortunately, a common error made by sign designers is to misinterpret that to mean "lowercase letters should be 75% of the type size used for uppercase letters" - that is, in computer terms, using a smaller font size for lowercase letters.

It Ends Up Looking Like This.

Alps

Quote from: odditude on June 13, 2020, 02:26:37 AM

the definitions for the typefaces specify that lowercase letters are 75% the height of uppercase characters. this means that a lowercase "x" is 75% the height of an uppercase "X" - and also means that a lowercase "b" is the SAME height as an uppercase "B." in computer terms, they're the same font size.

unfortunately, a common error made by sign designers is to misinterpret that to mean "lowercase letters should be 75% of the type size used for uppercase letters" - that is, in computer terms, using a smaller font size for lowercase letters.

which is why I always comment on plans to only specify the upper case text height.

Tonytone

Quote from: Alps on June 13, 2020, 01:02:17 PM

which is why I always comment on plans to only specify the upper case text height.
Alps you work in deldot? Will you get this sign fixed.

Tell em Aaroads complained LMAO.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Alex

Yup, terrible design even with Highway Gothic Font. Plus it's yet another lazy engineering, replace in kind replacement with the continued use of simply "New Jersey" as a destination and no attempt to further spell out the superfluous Del Mem Br.

2004, and this was a poorly designed overlay copying the 1980s sign added in 2002: https://www.aaroads.com/wp-content/albums/de-141-archive-south/de-141_sb_exit_002_21.jpg
2012 better carbon copy at least:  https://www.aaroads.com/wp-content/albums/de-141-archive-south/de-141_sb_exit_002_22.jpg
2017 even the temporary sign was a replace in kind attempt: https://www.aaroads.com/de/141/de-141-s-exit-002-02.jpg

Alex

Get ready for some more poorly designed replace in kind sign installs on SR 141 at I-95. The one Tonytone posted above was manufactured exactly as designed as well.  :banghead: Additional signs will be added be added at the split for Airport Road:

Most guide signs on SR 141 between I-95 and SR 4 will be replaced with the same improper font sizing, and no more advance sign for SR 62:

More replace in kind nonsense on the interchange sequence sign because most people in Delaware use route numbers and not road names:eyebrow: At least the MUST EXIT nomenclature finally goes away:

And those superfluous stand alone shields for U.S. 202 posted before construction began make an inane return:

More Font Fun:

And an overhaul of the signs along Interstate 95 southbound for SR 141 U.S. 202 south

APL's and one less sign bridge. US 202 eliminated completely

Another sign bridge removed. The welcome center sign is tweaked, copied and installed at ground level to the left and right. Is that useful?  :hmmm: Also the Delaware Turnpike sign will be replicated and posted at ground level further southbound.

Another interchange sequence sign for I-95 goes away. TO U.S. 13 is here to stay for SR 141 south.

I recall when this sign went up, and I thought, U.S. 202 is finally getting respect. So much for that:

Spent way to much time composing this post, but my home state of Delaware does that to me sometimes (takes up too much of my attention).  :crazy:

The sign plan screen shots were made from a 955 page document for the project.

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex on June 16, 2020, 03:06:19 PM
Get ready for some more poorly designed replace in kind sign installs on SR 141 at I-95. The one Tonytone posted above was manufactured exactly as designed as well.  :banghead: Additional signs will be added be added at the split for Airport Road:

Most guide signs on SR 141 between I-95 and SR 4 will be replaced with the same improper font sizing, and no more advance sign for SR 62:

More replace in kind nonsense on the interchange sequence sign because most people in Delaware use route numbers and not road names:eyebrow: At least the MUST EXIT nomenclature finally goes away:

And those superfluous stand alone shields for U.S. 202 posted before construction began make an inane return:

More Font Fun:

And an overhaul of the signs along Interstate 95 southbound for SR 141 U.S. 202 south

APL's and one less sign bridge. US 202 eliminated completely

Another sign bridge removed. The welcome center sign is tweaked, copied and installed at ground level to the left and right. Is that useful?  :hmmm: Also the Delaware Turnpike sign will be replicated and posted at ground level further southbound.

Another interchange sequence sign for I-95 goes away. TO U.S. 13 is here to stay for SR 141 south.

I recall when this sign went up, and I thought, U.S. 202 is finally getting respect. So much for that:

Spent way to much time composing this post, but my home state of Delaware does that to me sometimes (takes up too much of my attention).  :crazy:

The sign plan screen shots were made from a 955 page document for the project.
One of your pics is broken Alex.

But great post thank you for putting it together.

Now my next question is will this font be the official new font for Delaware Road signs or is this font exclusively for 141.

Also are they relocating the Airport Rd exit onto the 295 Ramp ?

Edit: Woah they are getting rid of the "John F Kennedy Memorial Highway"  sign. Are they renaming the highway?!

Thats pretty big to remove that sign.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

What you see above is very typical, and misunderstood by the best of people.

When signs are made, often times it's not the sign maker at fault.  It's the fault of the person/people at the transportation department or the contractor who designed the signs.  These plans typically undergo many reviews before approved. 

The shop where the sign is made is to make the sign to specifications of what they're told.  Frankly, it's not their job to argue with their customers, who in this case are the licensed engineers on the job.

Alex

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 16, 2020, 03:40:24 PM

When signs are made, often times it's not the sign maker at fault.  It's the fault of the person/people at the transportation department or the contractor who designed the signs.  These plans typically undergo many reviews before approved. 

The shop where the sign is made is to make the sign to specifications of what they're told.  Frankly, it's not their job to argue with their customers, who in this case are the licensed engineers on the job.

Definitely typical and Delaware is no exception as it routinely happens in Florida and North Carolina. There does however need to be more of an effort to QC some of these sign plans before they are sent to the sign manufacturer. And I can write that because there were guide signs posted in 2015 for a dog track that went out of business in 2007 and on a current project in the Tampa Bay area, sign plans include the replacement of a panel for Busch Gardens with Bush Gardens. I'm still waiting to see if that gets installed.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 16, 2020, 03:40:24 PM

For a plan set as comprehensive as this, it's the designer. Sometimes the designer has to correct the agency on this, too. But you see what happens when the best of intentions goes astray.

Alex

Panning around GSV while doing some site updates, I noticed that these span wire overheads on SR 2/72 for Main Street in Newark were removed last year:

Now there are no signs in advance for SR 273.

A replacement of these shields at E Main Street on SR 72 south removed the end shield for SR 2:

Surprisingly the new SR 72 shield uses Series D.  This contrasts with the nearly 100% consistent use of Series C for state route shields by DelDOT.

mvak36

https://delawarebusinessnow.com/2020/06/143-million-i-95-896-interchange-project-gets-57-million-fed-grant-that-moves-up-construction-date-to-fall-2022/

Quote$143 million I-95-896 interchange project gets $57 million fed grant that moves up construction date to fall 2022

Delaware's congressional delegation announced a nearly $57 million grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation to the Delaware Department of Transportation for the construction of a redesigned interchange at I-95 and State Route 896. The new interchange will improve safety and reduce congestion by adding two flyovers, realigning existing ramps, and addressing other deficiencies with the current roadway geometry.

At present, 60 percent of vehicles on I-95 traveling southbound exit at State Route 896, creating congestion and safety issues.

This project will create a dedicated exit ramp for southbound 896 for motorists off of I-95, as well as a dedicated on-ramp from 896 to northbound I-95. The total project cost is $143 million, and with this grant award, construction will now begin in the fall of 2022, two years earlier than expected.

The funding for this project comes from the U.S. DOT's Nationally Significant Freight and Highway Projects Program, or INFRA Grants program.

"As the leading Democrat on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, one of my top priorities is to improve our nation's transportation systems so that our drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians do not put their lives at risk simply by using our roadways. This major grant of federal funding will go a long way to improve safety and, ultimately, save lives along the I-95 corridor in Delaware. By reducing traffic and easing congestion, this project will greatly reduce fatalities and serious injuries while better facilitating commerce in our state. These safety improvements will spur economic growth and less congestion will enable greater access to the City of Newark, the University of Delaware and its blossoming STAR Campus," Senator Tom Carper said.

"This funding and this project are really about the safety of Delaware commuters, including students who use this interchange almost every day. Any parent who uses this intersection or has kids who frequently drive toandfrom GlasgowHigh School, NewarkHigh School, or other schools farther down 896,knows that improving the safety and capacity of this interchange is long overdue," said Sen. Chris Coons."As a member of the Appropriations Committee, I fought hard to secure this funding, and I'm excited that these long-awaitedimprovementswill soon be underway to help ourgrowing Newark and Middletown communitiesstay safe on the road."

"Improving the safety of the I-95 and 896 interchange has been a priority for our state for a long time now. This INFRA Grant from the Department of Transportation means that we can finally address the safety and capacity issues on 896,"  said Congresswoman Lisa Blunt Rochester. "I want to thank DelDOT for their work in securing the grant and spearheading the project, Senator Carper, who sits on the Environment and Public Works Committee, and Senator Coons, who sits on the Appropriations Committee, for their tireless efforts on behalf of all Delawareans, and the Federal Department of Transportation for recognizing the importance of this project for Delaware."

Additional information can be found on the DelDOT project page.

Tonytone

Quote from: mvak36 on June 18, 2020, 10:15:24 AM
https://delawarebusinessnow.com/2020/06/143-million-i-95-896-interchange-project-gets-57-million-fed-grant-that-moves-up-construction-date-to-fall-2022/

Quote$143 million I-95-896 interchange project gets $57 million fed grant that moves up construction date to fall 2022

Delaware's congressional delegation announced a nearly $57 million grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation to the Delaware Department of Transportation for the construction of a redesigned interchange at I-95 and State Route 896. The new interchange will improve safety and reduce congestion by adding two flyovers, realigning existing ramps, and addressing other deficiencies with the current roadway geometry.

At present, 60 percent of vehicles on I-95 traveling southbound exit at State Route 896, creating congestion and safety issues.

This project will create a dedicated exit ramp for southbound 896 for motorists off of I-95, as well as a dedicated on-ramp from 896 to northbound I-95. The total project cost is $143 million, and with this grant award, construction will now begin in the fall of 2022, two years earlier than expected.

The funding for this project comes from the U.S. DOT's Nationally Significant Freight and Highway Projects Program, or INFRA Grants program.

"As the leading Democrat on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, one of my top priorities is to improve our nation's transportation systems so that our drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians do not put their lives at risk simply by using our roadways. This major grant of federal funding will go a long way to improve safety and, ultimately, save lives along the I-95 corridor in Delaware. By reducing traffic and easing congestion, this project will greatly reduce fatalities and serious injuries while better facilitating commerce in our state. These safety improvements will spur economic growth and less congestion will enable greater access to the City of Newark, the University of Delaware and its blossoming STAR Campus," Senator Tom Carper said.

"This funding and this project are really about the safety of Delaware commuters, including students who use this interchange almost every day. Any parent who uses this intersection or has kids who frequently drive toandfrom GlasgowHigh School, NewarkHigh School, or other schools farther down 896,knows that improving the safety and capacity of this interchange is long overdue," said Sen. Chris Coons."As a member of the Appropriations Committee, I fought hard to secure this funding, and I'm excited that these long-awaitedimprovementswill soon be underway to help ourgrowing Newark and Middletown communitiesstay safe on the road."

"Improving the safety of the I-95 and 896 interchange has been a priority for our state for a long time now. This INFRA Grant from the Department of Transportation means that we can finally address the safety and capacity issues on 896,"  said Congresswoman Lisa Blunt Rochester. "I want to thank DelDOT for their work in securing the grant and spearheading the project, Senator Carper, who sits on the Environment and Public Works Committee, and Senator Coons, who sits on the Appropriations Committee, for their tireless efforts on behalf of all Delawareans, and the Federal Department of Transportation for recognizing the importance of this project for Delaware."

Holy I didnt think it would get picked up so soon!

This us a new project & its getting built. Nice job Delaware.

I just hope 273/1 is next "cough cough"

iPhone

jmacswimmer

I never realized that much traffic percentage-wise was exiting here.  I guess between shunpikers and in-state traffic not continuing into Maryland, it adds up pretty fast  :-o
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Tonytone

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 18, 2020, 10:38:23 AM

I never realized that much traffic percentage-wise was exiting here.  I guess between shunpikers and in-state traffic not continuing into Maryland, it adds up pretty fast  :-o
If that damn toll was past the elkton-newark road exit. We would see less traffic on. 896.

[mention]jeffandnicole [/mention]I told you half of Delaware uses 896  LMAO

iPhone

Alex

Good to hear that an influx of funds for the I-95/SR 896 interchange moves up that needed reconstruction. Weaving traffic was a major pain there 25 years ago as well...

Sad to report that one of the last 2-digit width state shields from the 1970s bit the dust last year. The SR 2/273 assembly on Academy Street in Newark was replaced with new SR 273 markers.

2013 photo

That leaves just the one assembly in New Castle (still there as of October 2019).

Roadrunner75

That doesn't sound accurate at all.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 18, 2020, 12:20:01 PM

Exactly my thought too.

If I were to somehow validate that number, I would say 60% of I-95's traffic exits AT RUSH HOUR.  And due to the significant congestion at that time in the right lane, that would probably be what's happening.

But at all other times?  60% of the traffic exiting to 2, 25 mph ramps with only 40% of the traffic staying on 4 lanes of I-95?  Not normal and not possible.

Honestly, I'm surprised DelDOT isn't considering adding tolls to these ramps.  Sure, there would be a cascading issue where some traffic will use interchanges 3 or 4 instead, but for those trying to skip the mainline toll, it's a greater inconvenience.  It also helps to fight the cost of sprawl, where in-state residents living off of 896/301 but working in Wilmington or points north are doing so due to cheaper land/housing prices, and thus requiring wider roads to accommodate them.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 18, 2020, 12:47:04 PM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 18, 2020, 12:20:01 PM

Exactly my thought too.

If I were to somehow validate that number, I would say 60% of I-95's traffic exits AT RUSH HOUR.  And due to the significant congestion at that time in the right lane, that would probably be what's happening.

But at all other times?  60% of the traffic exiting to 2, 25 mph ramps with only 40% of the traffic staying on 4 lanes of I-95?  Not normal and not possible.

Honestly, I'm surprised DelDOT isn't considering adding tolls to these ramps.  Sure, there would be a cascading issue where some traffic will use interchanges 3 or 4 instead, but for those trying to skip the mainline toll, it's a greater inconvenience.  It also helps to fight the cost of sprawl, where in-state residents living off of 896/301 but working in Wilmington or points north are doing so due to cheaper land/housing prices, and thus requiring wider roads to accommodate them.

Now that I stop and think about it, I have to agree that doesn't seem right either.

Here are traffic counts from both DE & MD for that stretch of 95 - with those numbers, it's closer to 60% of vehicles staying on 95 south at exit 1, which sounds a little more realistic.  Maybe the news article got the percentages backwards.

(Also FWIW, MD shows a count east of exit 109 that is roughly ~20,000 lower than what DE is showing west of exit 1.  They must have picked some very different days for their counts :eyebrow:)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Alex4897

Related to the earlier Newark signage discussion, these SR 2 shields at Apple Road and SR 896 went up sometime after SR 2 was truncated through Newark. It's interesting to see where Newark's remembering or forgetting about the changes that've been made through town.

I also need get down to the Ogletown Bypass at some point. The work down there at the intersection between SR 273 and Bala Road (the Red Mill Road connector) resulted in an additional eastbound lane being constructed through the intersection to tie into the SR 4 exit, but the updates that were made to the overhead signage for that exit are atrocious and I need to grab some pictures of them. For reference, this sign was the one that was updated.

👉😎👉

Alex

Quote from: Alex4897 on June 18, 2020, 01:24:55 PM
Related to the earlier Newark signage discussion, these SR 2 shields at Apple Road and SR 896 went up sometime after SR 2 was truncated through Newark. It's interesting to see where Newark's remembering or forgetting about the changes that've been made through town.

Last visit to Delaware, I saw those SR 2 shields on Apple Road and did a double take.  :wow: Swung around in the parking lot and shot this:

Photo from 01-02-19

While going through the remaining Newark photos shot two Christmas's ago that I never got around to posting on the site, I checked GSV on all of the other remaining SR 2 installs across the city (Academy Street, Chapel Street, College Avenue). All assemblies were replaced last year and now only show SR 273 with two exceptions. The shield assembly on Chapel Street south at E Main Street and the one on Academy Street north at Main Street were both removed all together.

Quote from: Alex4897 on June 18, 2020, 01:24:55 PM
I also need get down to the Ogletown Bypass at some point. The work down there at the intersection between SR 273 and Bala Road (the Red Mill Road connector) resulted in an additional eastbound lane being constructed through the intersection to tie into the SR 4 exit, but the updates that were made to the overhead signage for that exit are atrocious and I need to grab some pictures of them. For reference, this sign was the one that was updated.

*awaits with eager anticipation*  :coffee:
That will be the third install of that sign since the bypass opened in 1997. The second (the one pictured above) was a carbon copy of the original:

ixnay

Quote from: mvak36 on June 18, 2020, 10:15:24 AM

Which alternative was chosen?
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

mvak36

Quote from: ixnay on June 19, 2020, 08:40:58 AM

Which alternative was chosen?

According to the project site, it looks like Alternative 1 was chosen.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.