News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Strange habits you have

Started by golden eagle, February 10, 2015, 11:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

1995hoo

I still don't see the problem. I seldom eat cereal, but when I do, I like Frosted Flakes. It's simply less messy to pour the cereal into a bowl and eat it with a spoon (regardless of whether one also puts milk in the bowl) than it is to eat it directly out of the box. More sanitary, too, if someone else might also consume the cereal that's in that box.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

I always eat cereal dry, I don't like how soggy milk makes it.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 06, 2022, 05:31:27 PM
I still don't see the problem. I seldom eat cereal, but when I do, I like Frosted Flakes. It's simply less messy to pour the cereal into a bowl and eat it with a spoon (regardless of whether one also puts milk in the bowl) than it is to eat it directly out of the box. More sanitary, too, if someone else might also consume the cereal that's in that box.

I actually don't have an issue with it - I was laughing at your part of the quote string too, not just kenarmy's - it had just never occurred to me to eat a full bowl of cereal dry. I've had dry cereal a few times, but usually as more of a snack and just eat it right out of the box (which you correctly note could be unsanitary).

I totally get that using a bowl is less messy - kenarmy will be horrified to learn I've actually eaten trail mix with a spoon a few times (this kind) because the powder/ seasoning(s) stick to your fingers terribly (worse than Cheetos or Doritos) and using a spoon saved me from washing my hands a bunch of times. I can't remember if it was this thread that inspired me to try it - it very well could have been.  :-D

I would never eat chips with a spoon, though, because they're too big for that to be practical.

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 06, 2022, 05:33:45 PM

I find if you use minimal milk and don't eat it too slow, it doesn't go soggy. Some kinds are also more prone to sogginess than others.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on June 06, 2022, 06:11:33 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 06, 2022, 05:33:45 PM

I find if you use minimal milk and don't eat it too slow, it doesn't go soggy. Some kinds are also more prone to sogginess than others.

I've never been able to find the right mix ratio myself.  Usually I just have a little bit of cereal as a side item if I consume it during a meal.  Really though, milk isn't usually something I go for unless it has chocolate.

Also, do cereal commercials still emphasize it as "part of a complete breakfast?"   Even when I was a kid the giant amount of food pyramid largely grain based food seemed excessive.  I would probably guess some of those "complete breakfasts"  were easily pushing 1,200-1,400 calories.

kphoger

I don't mind soggy cereal.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

With one exception, I haven't had milk in my cereal for 40 years. I don't like it.

Dry cereal only...I don't like most mushy foods and milky cereal smells weird.

kphoger

Man, this stuff must be excruciating to eat without milk:

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 10:51:58 AM
Man, this stuff must be excruciating to eat without milk:

Compass rose

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on June 07, 2022, 10:46:16 AM
With one exception, I haven't had milk in my cereal for 40 years. I don't like it.

That is strange.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Takumi

I'll die on this hill with you.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Rothman

Quote from: Takumi on June 07, 2022, 04:06:21 PM

You are both strange.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on June 07, 2022, 04:08:26 PM

You are both strange.

Who isn't in some way on this forum?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: Takumi on June 07, 2022, 04:46:16 PM

You are both strange.

I must assume that members who have not posted in this thread don't have any strange habits–that is, they are not strange.

Well, either that or their habits are so strange that they're embarrassed to say what they are...
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

You are both strange.

Wait until you hear why I tried milk in my cereal that one time...

Breakfast cereal with milk looks the scrapings of broken garbage disposal, tastes like moist sawdust, smells like damp cardboard; it's also messy and inconvenient. The whole thing looks like a bizarre morning ritual for children.

ethanhopkin14

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on June 07, 2022, 05:21:36 PM

You are both strange.

Breakfast cereal with milk looks the scrapings of broken garbage disposal, tastes like moist sawdust, smells like damp cardboard; it's also messy and inconvenient. The whole thing looks like a bizarre morning ritual for children.
Milk on cereal is nectar of the gods.

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 05:02:09 PM
Quote from: Takumi on June 07, 2022, 04:46:16 PM

You are both strange.

I must assume that members who have not posted in this thread don't have any strange habits–that is, they are not strange.

Well, either that or their habits are so strange that they're embarrassed to say what they are...

Or what you consider to be a strange habit, the rest of us who haven't posted consider to be normal.

kphoger

Breakfast cereal with milk ... looks like a bizarre morning ritual for children.

I've always thought that, if someone from a bygone era were zapped to modern-day America and saw a bowl of breakfast cereal and milk, he would think to himself, What kind of crazy soup is THIS?

(I eat granola with milk every morning.)
Male pronouns, please.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 08:59:02 PM
Breakfast cereal with milk ... looks like a bizarre morning ritual for children.

I've always thought that, if someone from a bygone era were zapped to modern-day America and saw a bowl of breakfast cereal and milk, he would think to himself, What kind of crazy soup is THIS?

(I eat granola with milk every morning.)

My mom used to make granola, though I never cared for it
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

webny99

Mentioned in another thread but it fits here too: always wearing shoes, even just around the house. Can't really explain why but I've never been able to get comfortable walking around in bare feet for any length of time. Even at the beach, if there's any rocks or pebbles, that's enough to warrant sandals or water shoes for me.

skluth

Quote from: Rothman on June 07, 2022, 06:00:31 PM

You are both strange.

Milk on Cocoa Krispies looks like liquid poo thanks to the artificial dyes. I don't eat cereal anymore, but when I was young I also only ate it dry.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on October 25, 2022, 12:01:04 PM
Mentioned in another thread but it fits here too: always wearing shoes, even just around the house. Can't really explain why but I've never been able to get comfortable walking around in bare feet for any length of time. Even at the beach, if there's any rocks or pebbles, that's enough to warrant sandals or water shoes for me.

I used to go barefoot around the house, assuming the weather is warm enough for it, but after we adopted a cat last November that habit came to an end because the cat litter granules get in her paws and wind up on the carpet around the house. I don't like the gritty sensation when I step on them, so now I wear something on my feet except when I'm in my home office (because the cat is not allowed in that room due to all the wires from the electronics). Even in my office, I will wear something on my feet (typically driving-soled shoes that I use as slippers) once the weather turns cold enough to require socks, this because I don't like wearing just socks because I feel like they wear out sooner if I do that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Quote from: skluth on October 25, 2022, 12:18:33 PM
Quote from: Rothman on June 07, 2022, 06:00:31 PM

You are both strange.

Milk on Cocoa Krispies looks like liquid poo thanks to the artificial dyes. I don't eat cereal anymore, but when I was young I also only ate it dry.

The strange crowd grows.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.