Similarly named municipalities in the same state

Started by hotdogPi, January 18, 2021, 09:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

I'll go one better than all of these.

Perry County, AR

Perry and Perryville in Perry County, AR.

There's barely even 2 miles between the towns.

KCRoadFan

KC suburb examples:

Westwood and Westwood Hills
Mission, Mission Hills, and Mission Woods
Overland Park and Roeland Park

Also, a little further west in Kansas, Horton and Holton aren't too far from one another.

golden eagle

More in Mississippi:

Collins and Collinsville
Vicksburg and Vossburg
Louin and Louise
Taylor and Taylorsville
Richton and Richland

andrepoiy

Ontario:

Township of Alnwick/Haldimand

and

Haldimand County

There's also Brantford and Bradford West Gwillimbury.

nexus73

Oregon has Bend in Central Oregon and North Bend on the south coast.  North Bend is named for the north bend of the bay around the peninsula that North Bend is located on.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

plain

NC: Henderson and Hendersonville
Henderson is the county seat of Vance County, located on I-85 in the north-central part of the state.

Hendersonville is located off I-26 in the southwestern part of the state, and is the county seat of Henderson County  :colorful:

VA: Front Royal and Port Royal
Both are incorporated. Front Royal sits on the Shenandoah River, at the southern junction of US 340 and US 522, and near I-66.

Port Royal is on the Rappahannock River by the junction of US 17 and US 301.

Also VA: Montpelier
There are two places named Montpelier in Virginia. One is a plantation and the home of James Madison, located in Orange County just west of the county seat (Orange).

The other is a CDP located in western Hanover County, on US 33. I've lived in the latter a couple times.
Newark born, Richmond bred

ethanhopkin14

I learned recently there are two towns named Agua Dulce in Texas.  One is near El Paso, and the other is in South Texas near Corpus Christi which is the one referenced in "This Old Porch" by Lyle Lovett and Robert Earl Keen.  They are separated by 670 miles and a time zone so I guess no one confuses them. 

snowc

Quote from: plain on May 01, 2022, 12:29:03 PM
Henderson is the county seat of Vance County, located on I-85 in the north-central part of the state.

Hendersonville is located off I-26 in the southwestern part of the state, and is the county seat of Henderson County  :colorful:

Both are incorporated. Front Royal sits on the Shenandoah River, at the southern junction of US 340 and US 522, and near I-66.

There are two places named Montpelier in Virginia. One is a plantation and the home of James Madison, located in Orange County just west of the county seat (Orange).

The other is a CDP located in western Hanover County, on US 33. I've lived in the latter a couple times.
On the same route. but in NY. Adams NY and Adams Center NY. Located off exits 38 and 39 (guessed?)  :colorful:

New bridge was also replaced in 2015, per Bridgereports.

IowaTraveler

Quote from: iowahighways on April 28, 2022, 07:29:13 PM
Some more for Iowa:

Someone mentioned Cedar Falls and Cedar Rapids on the Cedar River. There's also Iowa Falls and Iowa City on the Iowa River.

Likewise, Rock Rapids and Rock Valley are both found on the Rock River in northwest Iowa, and Rock Falls, Rockford, Marble Rock, and Shell Rock are all along the Shell Rock River.

Northwest Iowa has Sioux City, the smaller Sioux Center, and the even smaller Sioux Rapids.

North Liberty, West Liberty, New Liberty, Liberty Center, and Libertyville. The first three are within 40 miles of each other.

Hampton and New Hampton are both county seats about 50 miles apart.

Dallas Center and Melcher-Dallas are also about 50 miles apart. The latter was a pair of separate neighboring cities that merged in 1986.

Creston and Preston. One letter difference, 215 miles apart.

Pleasant Hill and Pleasantville, which are only about 20 miles apart. And then there's Mount Pleasant.

Fairfax, Fairbank, and Fairfield can all be found in eastern Iowa, as are Riverdale, Riverside, and River Junction.

Tiffin and Tipton are only about 30 miles apart.

Urbana and Urbandale. Three more letters and about 48,000 more people in the latter.

There are quite a few "Lake"  places in Iowa, but only 60 miles of US 71 separate Spirit Lake and Storm Lake.

Edit: I'll add Coralville, a suburb of Iowa City, and Coalville, a bedroom community for Fort Dodge.

And then there are Wilton, Milton, and Welton, all scattered throughout eastern Iowa. Wilton actually called itself Wilton Junction for many years until ZIP codes came along; in 1972 they officially dropped the Junction.

Even more in Iowa (Why are there so many of these?):

Waukee and Waukon. The former is a rapidly-growing Des Moines suburb, and the latter is a county seat in northeast Iowa.

Gilbert and Gilbertville. The former is north of Ames and the latter is southeast of Waterloo.

Beacon and Beaconsfield, both in southern Iowa about 80 miles apart

Atkins and Watkins, only 10 miles apart and in the same county

Chester and West Chester, nowhere near each other

Grundy Center and Guthrie Center, both county seats of their namesake counties

Sidney and Sibley, also both county seats. The former in the SW corner of Iowa and the latter near the NW corner.

Keokuk and Keosauqua, county seats in adjacent counties in southeast Iowa

Eldora, Ladora, and Panora

Clear Lake and Crystal Lake, only 21 miles apart

Oakland and Oakland Acres, over 130 miles apart

Farmersburg and Farmington, near the NE and SE corners of the state, respectively

Sloan and Solon, over 240 miles apart

Springville and Springdale, both in east-central Iowa

Early and Earling, about 50 miles apart in western Iowa

Gilman and Gilmore City

Woodward and Woodbine

Aplington and Arlington

Stockton and Stockport

Stanhope and Stanwood

Lawton and Luton, only 10 miles apart and in the same county

Arion, Elberon, Albion, and Albia

Dows and Dow City

Lone Tree and Lone Rock

Elkhart, Elk Horn, and Elkport

I'd like to dedicate this next section to the county seats in Iowa starting with the letter c. There are way too many of them and there are several that I constantly mix up due to having very similar names, especially the ones in southern Iowa since they're all fairly close together.

Creston and Cresco

Chariton, Clarion, and Clarinda

Corning and Corydon

thspfc

WI has 3 Blacks (Black Earth, Black Creek, Black River Falls), and 3 Greens (Green Bay, Greendale, Greenville)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: thspfc on June 05, 2022, 08:04:29 AM
WI has 3 Blacks (Black Earth, Black Creek, Black River Falls), and 3 Greens (Green Bay, Greendale, Greenville)

I still think it's funny that Green Bay is in Brown County.

Molandfreak

There are two cities named St. Anthony in Minnesota, and there used to be two cities named Franklin.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

roadman65

Greenwich, CT is both a town and city adjacent to each other.
Groton, CT has a town and city east of New London.
Newburgh, NY in Orange County is the name of two municipalities.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on June 06, 2022, 12:32:27 AM
Pfft.  Lots of Town of X and Village of X in NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on June 06, 2022, 06:47:19 AM

That would explain Lake George Vil. on highway guides along the two NY 9N exits in Lake George. I always wondered why the need to add the type of municipality for it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

Quote from: roadman65 on June 06, 2022, 08:29:09 AM

That would explain Lake George Vil. on highway guides along the two NY 9N exits in Lake George. I always wondered why the need to add the type of municipality for it.

In that case, the signs are referring to the village itself instead of the lake.

The town/village thing is different, as it's way more common and rarely to never differentiated on signage. I can think of about a dozen examples just in the Rochester area alone: Webster, Pittsford, Sodus, Lyons, Palmyra, Macedon, Victor, Lima, Avon, Caledonia, LeRoy, Bergen, etc.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: plain on May 01, 2022, 12:29:03 PM

Accomack County has Mappsburg and Mappsville, two separate CDPs.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Molandfreak on June 05, 2022, 10:48:47 PM
There are two cities named St. Anthony in Minnesota, and there used to be two cities named Franklin.

There's also Spring Park and Spring Lake Park in very different parts of the metro.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on June 06, 2022, 10:26:57 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 06, 2022, 08:29:09 AM

In that case, the signs are referring to the village itself instead of the lake.

...or instead of the Town of Lake George
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on June 06, 2022, 01:21:37 PM

Possible, but then I question why it isn't done anywhere else. Plus, there's not much reason to sign the town as distinct from the village.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on June 06, 2022, 02:13:31 PM
Quote from: Rothman on June 06, 2022, 01:21:37 PM

Possible, but then I question why it isn't done anywhere else. Plus, there's not much reason to sign the town as distinct from the village.
The Village is the tourist draw.

mgk920

Not in the same state, but Lake County, IL and Lake County, IN both share common borders with Cook County, IL.

Also, and this sometimes gets me going, is when the local radio and TV weather people say that the NWS has sounded a tornado warning for Menominee County.  In response, I'll yell out loud, "Menominee County IN WHAT STATE?".Menominee County Michigan and Menominee County Wisconsin are both in the local TV coverage range of the Green Bay market, but are well separated from each other.   :banghead:

Mike

Road Hog

Quote from: MikieTimT on April 29, 2022, 02:42:35 PM
I'll go one better than all of these.

Perry County, AR

Perry and Perryville in Perry County, AR.

There's barely even 2 miles between the towns.
Usually there are more state troopers between the 2 towns than there are miles.

paulthemapguy

Illinois has a Beecher and a Beecher City.  Beecher is in Will County; Beecher City is in Effingham County.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.