News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Non-standard overpasses

Started by ethanhopkin14, February 17, 2021, 02:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

I am thinking of a few instances where a road goes under an interstate through a glorified box culvert.

Any other examples of odd overpasses?

Scott5114

US 66 under I-44 isn't quite a box culvert, but I think "non-standard" fits.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 17, 2021, 02:42:48 PM
US 66 under I-44 isn't quite a box culvert, but I think "non-standard" fits.

That underpass looks like I would get tetanus just driving underneath it.   

Scott5114

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 17, 2021, 02:56:49 PM

So many of the OTA overpasses done in the 1950s are just...bad.

This one hasn't been fixed yet despite being in a town of 7,600 and on the same road as a major destination for out-of-towners (not that this is part of the route there, but it's one wrong turn away).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

All sorts of these exist in Mexico, but I won't bother linking to any, considering the OP specified 'interstate'.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on February 17, 2021, 03:32:00 PM
All sorts of these exist in Mexico, but I won't bother linking to any, considering the OP specified 'interstate'.

Naw, it's okay.  I was thinking interstate, because of the odd things you can find on non interstates making the odd ones you find on interstates a bit rarer, but I don't think this has to be exclusively interstate. 

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 17, 2021, 03:09:37 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 17, 2021, 02:56:49 PM

So many of the OTA overpasses done in the 1950s are just...bad.

This one hasn't been fixed yet despite being in a town of 7,600 and on the same road as a major destination for out-of-towners (not that this is part of the route there, but it's one wrong turn away).

Not sure if I have ever seen this sign.  Just before you get on the question bridge. 

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: snowc on February 17, 2021, 03:55:18 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 17, 2021, 02:37:42 PM
I am thinking of a few instances where a road goes under an interstate through a glorified box culvert.

That  :colorful: graffiti on the box culvert in second link.

More impressive that someone traveled to the desolate expanse of far west Texas to graffiti the box culvert. 

TheGrassGuy

I-78 and Glenside Avenue, Union County
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 17, 2021, 03:58:18 PM

More impressive that someone traveled to the desolate expanse of far west Texas to graffiti the box culvert.

Makes me wonder what the purpose of those ramps and the culvert is. Convenient turnaround?
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

jakeroot

Not a road, but something I thought of.

The SkyTrain (Vancouver rail system) has an underpass at Templeton St that was built more like a tunnel than an underpass. I suspect this is done for safety reasons, such as keeping people off the third rail.

This underpass in Puyallup, WA is very similar to the OP. I think it was built to connect the two WSU campuses without requiring people to cross over the busy street dividing the campus. Road was first, so I guess it was easier to build than constructing a bridge.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on February 17, 2021, 05:20:52 PM

Makes me wonder what the purpose of those ramps and the culvert is. Convenient turnaround?

Yes.  The graffiti one also doubles as an actual culvert.  It obvious in the desert, 99% of the time it's not used as a culvert, but that 1%....

MCRoads

There was one on I-25 between Colorado Springs and Denver, but it is being turned into a bridge during the construction of the express lanes. Here is what it looked like.

when we visit our grandparents in New Mexico, we sometimes take old US 66 just for fun, and the old road goes under the highway in this.

And, although not on the interstate, this is in the same area, and it is literally a big culvert. The google car hasn't been there in a looong time, but from what I remember, it was similar to this. I'm sure there are other haul roads that do this, but it's the only one I have seen.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

bwana39

Here is another one on I-25 in Colorado
https://goo.gl/maps/aM4DKZ7LyHxxaPJa7

This one is a railroad underpass, but...
https://goo.gl/maps/5JstRC97KrRS2okUA
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

MCRoads

Quote from: bwana39 on February 17, 2021, 07:50:45 PM
Here is another one on I-25 in Colorado
https://goo.gl/maps/aM4DKZ7LyHxxaPJa7

This one is a railroad underpass, but...
https://goo.gl/maps/5JstRC97KrRS2okUA

That is a pretty ubiquitous design for a rural rail underpass.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

more room plz

US 89

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 17, 2021, 06:09:56 PM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on February 17, 2021, 05:20:52 PM

Yes.  The graffiti one also doubles as an actual culvert.  It obvious in the desert, 99% of the time it's not used as a culvert, but that 1%....

Primary purpose is probably to allow for ranch access. Look at the south side of the interchange.

CoreySamson

This at the US 11/ I-10 interchange east of NOLA.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Revive 755

OCGuy81

Not sure you can classify them as an overpass, but would the Illinois Tollway oasis count? Certainly not a standard overpass.

GenExpwy

The New York Thruway (I-90) goes under NY 64 like this.

GaryV

Rothman

Quote from: GenExpwy on February 18, 2021, 02:36:25 AM
The New York Thruway (I-90) goes under NY 64 like this.
It's different, but still up to standards.  I believe it's actually a newer bridge.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 17, 2021, 03:51:14 PM

Naw, it's okay.  I was thinking interstate, because of the odd things you can find on non interstates making the odd ones you find on interstates a bit rarer, but I don't think this has to be exclusively interstate. 

So something like this?

Or how about low clearance?  Here's one I've personally driven under.

Edited to add:  Also, does this qualify?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MCRoads

Quote from: kphoger on February 18, 2021, 10:41:39 AM

So something like this?

Wow! That second link can't be more than 7-8 feet tall!
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

kphoger

Quote from: MCRoads on February 18, 2021, 01:22:32 PM

Quote from: kphoger on February 18, 2021, 10:41:39 AM

So something like this?

Wow! That second link can't be more than 7-8 feet tall!

It's not bad when you're driving this model of vehicle:

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.