News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

__________ is/are underrated.

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

The 2005 White Sox; I remember following them during their postseason run that ended in a World Series sweep, even though I'm a lifelong Cubs fan. I just wanted to see a Chicago team win a World Series, but little did I know then that my own favorite team would do it 11 years later.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2022, 03:46:25 PM
Chicago (the classic lineup with Terry Kath)

Are they really underrated though? Their problem was more that few people can name a member of Chicago (which seemed to have been done by design by the band and their management), not the familiarity of their music to a standard radio listener.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

dlsterner

The Electric Light Orchestra    (or ELO if you prefer)

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

J N Winkler

Underrated:

*  100% or more of the fiber RDA every day

*  At least five servings of vegetables from three different vegetables every day, none of which is potato
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Unsweetened iced tea is underrated.

Sweet iced tea is underrated.

Take your pick, it seems like everyone out there (everyone who likes iced tea, that is) loves one and despises the other.  From my perspective, it is less socially acceptable to like both types of iced tea than it is to cheer for both the White Sox and the Cubs.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ned Weasel

Knowing the roads.

Physical keyboards and buttons.

Taco Bell.

Manual labor.

Traditional-media art.

Solitude.

Knowing the ****ing roads.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Bruce

Major League Soccer.

Tickets are still affordable, parity makes things competitive, the quality of play is improving year-over-year, the average atmosphere is better than what most other US sports teams can muster on their best nights. Give it a try.

Scott5114

Quote from: Ned Weasel on May 03, 2022, 09:44:40 PM
Traditional-media art.

Eh, I don't know about that. I started out doing art on traditional media because I didn't have a tablet (I could never communicate to my parents what one was or where they could get one). Over time I've transitioned more and more to digital. Art is hard enough without having to fight physical materials when you do it. Blending markers, or worrying about paint being too runny/not runny enough, or realizing you shaded something too dark and and having to do it over again, is mental overhead nobody should have to put up with if they don't want to.

Props to anyone that has the patience for traditional, though.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

With kids, that gets interesting if you look at it pragmatically...  Kids don't really provide a "return on investment"  so to speak anymore (given things like family farm jobs are rare now State side) and essentially are at best a 18 year financial black hole.  I don't think it would be underselling it to say they many adults would be far more financially healthy if they didn't have kids. 

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 03, 2022, 05:16:54 PM
Quote from: Takumi on May 03, 2022, 05:13:25 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 03, 2022, 04:55:46 PM
Quote from: Takumi on May 03, 2022, 04:53:02 PM
Physical media.

Sports car racing, though those who tend to get into it tend to get really obsessed with it.

Juan Pablo Montoya.

Dream pop.

The post-reformation era (2007-present) of the Smashing Pumpkins.

He's never going to live this down:

And yet he's so much more than that. Two-time Indy 500 winner, CART title, IMSA title, F3000 (today's F2) title, wins in F1/Indy/NASCAR/IMSA/WEC, and you could make a case that he's won the Triple Crown of Motorsport. (He says he has, but most say he hasn't, because his win at Le Mans was a class win and not overall.)

I'm not disagreeing that his overall resume is very impressive.  I would argue finishing in the top ten in the points in a NASCAR season was more impressive then his two Road Course wins though.

Yeah, considering Ganassi in NASCAR was always what's referred to in open-wheel as a midfield team. He often made the car look better than it actually was, and should have had a Brickyard 400 win as well.

Unfortunately you proved my point about what most American motorsports fans will remember him for.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 09:30:17 PM
Unsweetened iced tea is underrated.

Sweet iced tea is underrated.

Take your pick, it seems like everyone out there (everyone who likes iced tea, that is) loves one and despises the other.  From my perspective, it is less socially acceptable to like both types of iced tea than it is to cheer for both the White Sox and the Cubs.

I'm sure Steve Stone and Harry Caray would be ok with it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on May 04, 2022, 12:27:59 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 03, 2022, 05:16:54 PM
Quote from: Takumi on May 03, 2022, 05:13:25 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 03, 2022, 04:55:46 PM
Quote from: Takumi on May 03, 2022, 04:53:02 PM
Physical media.

Sports car racing, though those who tend to get into it tend to get really obsessed with it.

Juan Pablo Montoya.

Dream pop.

The post-reformation era (2007-present) of the Smashing Pumpkins.

He's never going to live this down:

And yet he's so much more than that. Two-time Indy 500 winner, CART title, IMSA title, F3000 (today's F2) title, wins in F1/Indy/NASCAR/IMSA/WEC, and you could make a case that he's won the Triple Crown of Motorsport. (He says he has, but most say he hasn't, because his win at Le Mans was a class win and not overall.)

I'm not disagreeing that his overall resume is very impressive.  I would argue finishing in the top ten in the points in a NASCAR season was more impressive then his two Road Course wins though.

Yeah, considering Ganassi in NASCAR was always what's referred to in open-wheel as a midfield team. He often made the car look better than it actually was, and should have had a Brickyard 400 win as well.

Unfortunately you proved my point about what most American motorsports fans will remember him for.

In my case I spent a good number of years in my youth hanging out with my Dad at Marcis Auto Racing.  I enjoy F1 and many different facing series but they will never be close to me personally as 1990s/early 2000s NASCAR was (which I would argue was also it's pinnacle era).

https://flic.kr/p/21DkbTd

But to your point most American racing fans (a dying breed) usually follow NASCAR closely.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2022, 10:38:39 PM

Quote from: Ned Weasel on May 03, 2022, 09:44:40 PM
Traditional-media art.

Eh, I don't know about that. I started out doing art on traditional media because I didn't have a tablet (I could never communicate to my parents what one was or where they could get one). Over time I've transitioned more and more to digital. Art is hard enough without having to fight physical materials when you do it. Blending markers, or worrying about paint being too runny/not runny enough, or realizing you shaded something too dark and and having to do it over again, is mental overhead nobody should have to put up with if they don't want to.

Props to anyone that has the patience for traditional, though.

It could be that the care and patience required for traditional-media art is precisely why its value is underrated.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 12:04:05 AM
With kids, that gets interesting if you look at it pragmatically...  Kids don't really provide a "return on investment"  so to speak anymore (given things like family farm jobs are rare now State side) and essentially are at best a 18 year financial black hole.  I don't think it would be underselling it to say they many adults would be far more financially healthy if they didn't have kids. 

Have you ever known anyone who decided to have kids for financial reasons, though?
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2022, 09:09:39 AM

Have you ever known anyone who decided to have kids for financial reasons, though?

Yes, my extended family in Minnesota.  They had nine kids and deliberately spaced them out for sustained free hands for summer farm labor. 

snowc

2FA.
My class for the summer requires a smart watch and a phone for communication.
See below on why its needed
QuoteSuccessful Cyberattacks via phishing emails are happening globally and within the NC Community College System. As of May 1, ITS will start implementing Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) for all newly created student accounts to better protect our student accounts. ITS will implement Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) for existing student accounts on September 1.
Students should review the MFA User Guide before registering for MFA.
Note: The Microsoft MFA solution does not support native email clients via iPhone or Android. If you currently use your mobile device to access your redacted email, you will need to install the Microsoft Outlook mobile app on your device to continue to do so after MFA registration.
Please contact the IT Service Desk at redacted if you have any questions.
IT Service Desk | Information Technology Services
So now I have to go out and pay $200 for a new phone plus a data plan because of MFA.  :colorful:

hotdogPi

At UMass Lowell, there was the option to enter a 6-digit code that's sent by text instead of getting an app, and that works on dumbphones. Does that option not exist for you?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 09:53:44 AM
2FA.
My class for the summer requires a smart watch and a phone for communication.
See below on why its needed

... Please contact the IT Service Desk at redacted if you have any questions.

So now I have to go out and pay $200 for a new phone plus a data plan because of MFA.

Have you contacted IT and asked what to do if you don't have a smartphone?

It might be possible to receive a phone call from the 2FA entity instead with your passcode.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 09:24:51 AM

Yes, my extended family in Minnesota.  They had nine kids and deliberately spaced them out for sustained free hands for summer farm labor. 

Interesting.  I didn't know that was still a thing even in farm families.  (Of course, you specifically mentioned family farm jobs in your original comment.)
Male pronouns, please.

snowc

Quote from: 1 on May 04, 2022, 09:57:51 AM
At UMass Lowell, there was the option to enter a 6-digit code that's sent by text instead of getting an app, and that works on dumbphones. Does that option not exist for you?
Nope, Wake Tech requires a smartphone. With a data plan.  :colorful:

kphoger

Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 10:01:40 AM

So, the text and phone call options for your school's Microsoft MFA have been eliminated since this document was published a year ago?
Male pronouns, please.

snowc

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2022, 10:07:47 AM
Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 10:01:40 AM

So, the text and phone call options for your school's Microsoft MFA have been eliminated since this document was published a year ago?
Pretty much. Cant sign in unless you have a compatible phone.

SM-G550T

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2022, 10:01:26 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 09:24:51 AM

Interesting.  I didn't know that was still a thing even in farm families.  (Of course, you specifically mentioned family farm jobs in your original comment.)

Yeah it was pretty interesting to see growing up in the 1980s when we visited them.  At the time it was pretty clear that the practice was on its last days given how unusual it was even then to see.  My Dad thought it was weird but my Mom who had been around it more (her side of the family) never had much negative to say.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.