News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Short, but Important

Started by nwi_navigator_1181, May 31, 2022, 09:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlsterner

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 04, 2022, 04:05:12 PM
Disappointed so many of you keep your minds out of the gutter. Not a single "That's what she said" in these threads.

"It's not the length that matters, it's the flatness"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dlsterner on June 04, 2022, 07:00:45 PM
Disappointed so many of you keep your minds out of the gutter. Not a single "That's what she said" in these threads.

You don't need to "ride"  the brakes when it's flat.  ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/471696313008593/posts/pfbid0jVim88ANP6AcPYQ1yssayM2yY7sViyvK6G2akUjCFLt7VR9xGbJuN27ss8mPhAgql/?d=n

thspfc

Ah, so that's how Carhorn got that Ohio girl . . .

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on June 04, 2022, 07:39:34 PM

Hey girl, do you like songs driving songs between 60 to 100 beats per minute?

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 04, 2022, 07:45:24 PM

One beautiful evening, Carhorn and Ohio girl go for a walk at Starved Rock State Park. Upon reaching the crest of the hill, they're out of breath. Actually, they're not out of breath at all, because it's barely even a hill. But anyways, they stop for a moment, next to an assortment of cars with license plates from all 50 states and 28 Canadian provinces. And some cornstalks.

The late-day sun pierces through the trees. This is it: Carhorn drops to one knee and reaches for his pocket. Then, he asks the question he's been waiting to ask for so long:

"Is Illinois flat?"

He awaits the jubilant response of "no" .

The response is "yes" .

Carhorn tries to sway her. But no amount of Wallethub nor Lake County GSV can make Illinois not flat.

Disgusted, Carhorn looks for a slope down which to throw the ring he bought, but there isn't one.

Carhorn leaves, though not before honking at 7 racist Wisconsin drivers in the parking lot.

For anybody else, such an abrupt rejection would be heartbreaking. But Carhorn feels that he's dodged a bullet. Ohio girl must not be familiar with Illinois GSV. Does she even follow Wallethub? Probably not.

So, everybody lived happily ever after. Or maybe not, who knows.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on June 04, 2022, 08:11:25 PM

One beautiful evening, Carhorn and Ohio girl go for a walk at Starved Rock State Park. Upon reaching the crest of the hill, they're out of breath. Actually, they're not out of breath at all, because it's barely even a hill. But anyways, they stop for a moment, next to an assortment of cars with license plates from all 50 states and 28 Canadian provinces. And some cornstalks.

The late-day sun pierces through the trees. This is it: Carhorn drops to one knee and reaches for his pocket. Then, he asks the question he's been waiting to ask for so long:

"Is Illinois flat?"

The response is "yes" .

Carhorn tries to sway her. But no amount of Wallethub nor Lake County GSV can make Illinois not flat.

Disgusted, Carhorn looks for a slope down which to throw the ring he bought, but there isn't one.

Carhorn leaves, though not before honking at 7 racist Wisconsin drivers in the parking lot.

For anybody else, such an abrupt rejection would be heartbreaking. But Carhorn feels that he's dodged a bullet. Ohio girl must not be familiar with Illinois GSV. Does she even follow Wallethub? Probably not.

Truly a story of love, loss and flatness...

dlsterner

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 04, 2022, 08:46:36 PM

"Is Illinois flat?"

The response is "yes" .

What about the part about the Entenmann's truck driver and the HIV piss bottle?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dlsterner on June 04, 2022, 09:24:01 PM

"Is Illinois flat?"

The response is "yes" .

You'll have to wait for the sequel "Fifty Shades of Flat."

DJ Particle

Hennepin-122 in Minnesota is an important link across the river between the East and West Banks of the U of M Minneapolis, and it also links the campus in general directly to downtown.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 04, 2022, 09:52:55 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on June 04, 2022, 09:24:01 PM

"Is Illinois flat?"

The response is "yes" .

You'll have to wait for the sequel "Fifty Shades of Flat."

C'mon Man!!!

Sctvhound

Quote from: fillup420 on June 03, 2022, 06:25:37 PM
Quote from: Sctvhound on June 02, 2022, 08:25:32 AM
Two of them here in Charleston. Ashley Phosphate Rd is less than 5 miles, and was named after old phosphate mines, but it is the major road in North Charleston connecting the Dorchester County side to the Charleston County side. The state's largest shopping district is also right off that road. It has something like 70,000 or 90,000 cars per day, one of the highest for a non-interstate US or state highway in the state.

US 52 Connector is 0.9 miles but it is absolutely vital for those who live up in Goose Creek, Moncks Corner and further north as they can bypass the lights around Northwoods Mall.

I worked off Ashley Phosphate Rd for about a year, and the traffic going eastbound toward I-26 on school mornings was absolutely dreadful. Sometimes it would be crawling speed from Patriot Blvd all the way to 26. In the summer it was usually fine. Also, that railroad crossing was a major choke point, as the trains usually went ~15mph through there. I don't miss that at all.

Yeah for being such a short road is is probably the biggest bottleneck in the Charleston area outside I-26.

Also, SC 30, for only being 3 miles long is absolutely vital to get from downtown Charleston to/from James Island.

kphoger

One beautiful evening, Carhorn and Ohio girl ...

That was beautiful.  Thank you for sharing.

Quote from: DJ Particle on June 04, 2022, 10:37:10 PM
Hennepin-122 in Minnesota is an important link across the river between the East and West Banks of the U of M Minneapolis, and it also links the campus in general directly to downtown.

Stop changing the subject.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

DandyDan

Nebraska Link 28B is the highway that bridges the gap in the freeway that goes from Omaha to Fremont that's between US 6 and US 275. More broadly, some of Nebraska's link highways are connections between two highways that can't have a direct connection because of a bridge over railroad crossings. A number of them connect US 30, which has Union Pacific tracks paralleling it across the state, to a N-S highway.

One in Nebraska which is numbered is NE 110, which connects US 20, and ultimately I-129 and I-29, to NE 35, which goes southwest from South Sioux City to Norfolk.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

skluth

A few more short, important roads for the military

I-564 into Norfolk Naval Station, VA
All-American Freeway to Fort Bragg (that NC has not designated this an interstate yet is mind-boggling)
IL 158 to access Scott AFB, IL
BL I-44 to Fort Leonard Wood, MO
TX 601 to access Fort Bliss, TX including Biggs Field

skluth

California also has a few short, but very important roads connecting the state road network to Mexico

CA 186
CA 7 (extremely important for truck traffic)
CA 188
CA 11 (soon to be even more important for truck traffic)

Gnutella

I-579 in Pittsburgh. It's only three miles long, but it allows traffic to move to and from areas north, south and east of downtown Pittsburgh without having to use the Fort Pitt or Fort Duquesne Bridges.

thenetwork

Quote from: zzcarp on June 03, 2022, 03:46:37 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on June 02, 2022, 08:43:54 PM
Quote from: coldshoulder on June 02, 2022, 08:07:23 PM
OH-711, a 4-lane divided highway between I-680 in Youngstown, Ohio and the dual interchange with I-80 East and OH-11 North in Liberty Township covering approximately 6+ miles.  The original section built in the late 50's or early 60's began at I-680 and crossed the Mahoning River but ended at US-422. The short connection up Briar Hill to connect with 80 and 11, took another 30 years to become a reality.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1353387,-80.6646963,14z
Another Northeast Ohio example: I-480N. Connects I-480 EB to I-271 NB, and even more important than originally planned because I-290 (now I-490) east of downtown Cleveland was cancelled. So the main freeway routing from downtown to eastern suburbs like Beachwood involves this short connector.

You briefly mentioned it, but I-490 seems to fit this bill as the major connection between I-77 and I-90 West. It was even more important when the I-90 innerbelt bridge had structural issues and had traffic limited plus during the reconstruction of the replacement George Voinovich bridge.
OH-711, a 4-lane divided highway between I-680 in Youngstown, Ohio and the dual interchange with I-80 East and OH-11 North in Liberty Township covering approximately 6+ miles.  The original section built in the late 50's or early 60's began at I-680 and crossed the Mahoning River but ended at US-422. The short connection up Briar Hill to connect with 80 and 11, took another 30 years to become a reality.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1353387,-80.6646963,14z//]
Another Northeast Ohio example: I-480N. Connects I-480 EB to I-271 NB, and even more important than originally planned because I-290 (now I-490) east of downtown Cleveland was cancelled. So the main freeway routing from downtown to eastern suburbs like Beachwood involves this short connector.

You briefly mentioned it, but I-490 seems to fit this bill as the major connection between I-77 and I-90 West. It was even more important when the I-90 innerbelt bridge had structural issues and had traffic limited plus during the reconstruction of the replacement George Voinovich bridge.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1353387,-80.6646963,14z//

Also in the same neighborhood, what about the Jennings Freeway (SR-176)?  Took over 30-some years to complete, but it is the alternative north-south freeway between downtown and i-480 whenever I-77 is messed up, and is the only quick way to access any points south of I-480 between I-71 and I-77 and even Brooklyn as it damn near impossible to reach via I-71

cwf1701

I would like to add M-8 in Michigan. useful as a connection on the east side from I-75 to M-10, I-94 and I-96 and all points west.

GreenLanternCorps

Cincinnati Area:

The Norwood Lateral/OH 562

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_State_Route_562

What it says on the tin, a short (under 4 miles) but vital connection between I-71 and I-75.

(Ronald Reagan Cross-County a few miles North does the same but extends beyond its lateral functions, and does not have a full interchange with 75)

My only complaint is that the Lateral should have been built wider and to interstate standards.  With only four lanes total and substandard ramps, it is not a great drive.  And it’s now too late to upgrade it.

I-471

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_471

Under 6 miles.

Additional bridge over the Ohio River, direct connection from Downtown Cincinnati to Eastern portion of Northern Kentucky suburbs, and via 275 to Clermont County.  Also serves as an I-71 relief route.

Dayton Area:

OH 844

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_State_Route_844

Connects I-675 to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and to parking for Wright State University.

Important commuter route. Dead on weekends, vital and busy on weekdays.

ZLoth

There immediately come to mind:

• Interstate 345 (Dallas) - This 1.4-mile-long unsigned interstate is a key connector between US Route 75 and Interstate 45. It still boggles this mind that this isn't part of Interstate 45. It has a high daily vehicle volume, yet some anti-car activists, citing that it split Deep Ellum from downtown Dallas, want to tear it down and make it a street. This freeway is at the end of it's life and also needs expansion.
  • Interstate 305 (Sacramento) - This 5.64-mile-long unsigned interstate is a key freeway between Interstate-80 in West Sacramento and Southbound CA-99/CA-51 (unsigned), and is part of both Business Interstate 80 and US-50. It is also a key segment for Sacramento. It retains it's Interstate status for funding reasons.
  • International Parkway (Dallas) - This 6-mile-long highway is the backbone for accessing the DFW International airport. Enough said.
  • Interstate 238 (San Francisco/Oakland Bay area) - This 2.23-mile-long Interstate is the problem child as there is no Interstate 38 in California, and Interstate 38 only exists as a song by 38 Spesh. It is directly connected to CA-238.
  • CA Route 160 (North Sacramento section) - Technically speaking, CA Route 160 is TWO routes, with a major section running through downtown Sacramento being deleted and the signs removed in 2003. This 2.23-mile-long segment goes from CA-51/Business 80 to downtown Sacramento, and was even an important route in the pre-automotive days.

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

andarcondadont

Interstate 535, between Duluth, MN and Superior, WI. One of three bridges in this region that cross the St. Louis River.

Computer Science and GIS student at the University of Minnesota.

JustDrive

CA 149 is only 4 miles long, but it does form a four-lane bypass of CA 99 south of Chico as the direct high-speed route towards Sacramento.

mgk920

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 02, 2022, 11:30:36 PM
WIS-129 - Shortcut around Lancaster (basically an inverted bypass of US-61 which the city wanted through town)
WIS-119 - Connects MKE airport to the interstate.
WIS-30 - A shortcut from Madison to I-94, which replaced it east of I-90.

Also, WI 125 - busy Four lane surface street the whole way, College Ave connects I-41 to downtown Appleton, WI.

mike

mgk920

Quote from: skluth on June 07, 2022, 03:35:16 PM

All-American Freeway to Fort Bragg (that NC has not designated this an interstate yet is mind-boggling)

I-781 in New York (Fort Drum)?

Mike

JayhawkCO

Quote from: mgk920 on August 03, 2022, 12:24:15 PM
Quote from: skluth on June 07, 2022, 03:35:16 PM

I-781 in New York (Fort Drum)?

I-H3 also.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.