Examples in America of Freeways where a river acts as the median?

Started by kernals12, June 15, 2022, 07:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on June 15, 2022, 09:05:09 PM
CA 54 between I-5 and I-805 in San Diego has the Sweetwater River as its median.

I used that as my example

US 89

The Weber River forms the median of a segment of I-84 east of Ogden, Utah. It is also the county line in that area, so eastbound 84 is in Davis County and westbound is in Weber County.

I don't know what the name of it is, but there is an arroyo in the median of I-40 through much of eastern Albuquerque. It is usually dry but flows during times of snowmelt or intense summer thunderstorms.

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on June 15, 2022, 08:30:24 PM
Quote from: Bruce on June 15, 2022, 08:22:59 PM
This section of I-90 along the St Regis River in Montana

Quite a waste to do this in an urban area, where rivers should be centers of recreation unspoiled by the noise and air pollution generated by freeways. Seoul showed the way in 2005 when it demolished an awful elevated freeway and restored the Cheonggyecheon.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-04-21/tearing-down-an-urban-highway-can-give-rise-to-a-whole-new-city

Cheonggyecheon was built on top of the creek, not beside it.

Also, you assume that waterways are pleasant places to be, but that's often not the case. In undeveloped countries, they're filled with sewage, garbage, and effluent.

Not that that's a permanent condition -- lots of rivers in the States were disgusting and their grossness was why highways were built next to them until the Clean Water Act.

South Korea is hardly undeveloped.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Gnutella

U.S. 30 in Pennsylvania from Latrobe to Ligonier has a segment with Loyalhanna Creek in its median as the highway passes through a gap in Chestnut Ridge.

For the sake of reference, Chestnut Ridge appears in the background of this picture from Pittsburgh Steelers training camp at St. Vincent College in Latrobe (facing east-northeast):

kurumi

The cancelled East Rock Connector (https://goo.gl/maps/k5YHnnbeKXEhxAwx7) in New Haven, CT would have straddled the Mill River. This freeway would have connected I-91 to Whitney Avenue (CT 10A at the time) and might have been signed CT 10A.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

SGwithADD

A bit of a technicality, but the current path of future I-99 in Williamsport is split across Lycoming Creek: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2326494,-77.0432487,16.12z

Dirt Roads

The West Virginia Turnpike has two sections with Beaver Creek in its median, including the long stretch that runs over 4 miles.  Along the way, it picks up several tributaries including the Left Fork of Beaver Creek (which has a much greater flow than the main branch in the rest of the median).  This is also the section of the Turnpike known for its abundant Rhododendron thicket.  This is between Exit 40 (I-64) and Exit 28 (Ghent/Flat Top).

Dirt Roads

And West Virginia also has two for the price of one, running in opposite directions for almost the entire six miles or so of I-79 between Exit 34 (Wallback) and Exit 40 (Big Otter). 

Starting at the southwest end, Cookman Fork leaves the Interstate just before joining the Right Fork of Big Sandy Creek near the Wallback exit.  At the other end, Boggs Fork leaves the Interstate just before joining Big Otter Creek near the Big Otter exit.  At the top of the ridge between the two, the median for I-79 narrows briefly but the two creeks are separated by less than a quarter-mile.  Cookman Fork runs more than 3-1/2 miles in the median westward, while Boggs Fork runs about 3 miles in the median eastward.

[This is the third time that I've tried to post this in the past three months.  Who knows what happened the other times?]

lepidopteran

About a half mile of I-95 in Beltsville, MD, has Little Paint Branch in its median.  Covers much of the footprint of the Route 212/Powder Mill Rd. interchange.

amroad17

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

catch22

I-79 near Pittsburgh south of the Ohio River crossing has Moon Run in its median for about 2.5 miles.

https://goo.gl/maps/6XWhp4PWcvCXfyjQ6

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.