News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Your favorite/least favorite state highway maps?

Started by CapeCodder, July 14, 2022, 12:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

My favorite for a while was Illinois. The cartography was easy on the eyes. My least favorite was/is Massachusetts.

dvferyance

California is by far my least favorite. Utah is pretty bad too. As far as favorite goes I like Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and Wisconsin. Hard to pick my favorite.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: dvferyance on July 14, 2022, 08:03:08 PM
California is by far my least favorite. Utah is pretty bad too. As far as favorite goes I like Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and Wisconsin. Hard to pick my favorite.

I've always liked Virginia's, but I recently picked up a new one and am having difficulty distinguishing between freeways and scenic multi-lane divided roads.  I think that my copy had some sort of problem with ink selection.  But the freeways have changed from dark red to a brownish maroon, which appears to be the same color as the dark green outlines on the dark red multi-lane.  If I put on ultra-strong reading glasses, the black dividing stripes in the dark maroon start to show up.  I should be excited, since Chicago maroon is the official color of Virginia Tech (which hasn't really been used much since my freshman year, long gone along with the name VPI).

paulthemapguy

There were these AAA atlases my parents got in the early 2000s that were the worst I had ever seen.  While the route symbols were only a little on the small side, the numbers inside the route symbols were insanely tiny and hard to read.  The space inside the symbols was used very poorly.  All the numerals and text were so tiny and hard to read, for what reason? The scales used on the maps were similar to the analogous Rand McNally atlases for all the states, but the text was at least large enough to be legible in the Rand McNally one!
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

VetteDriver16

Quote from: Dirt Roads on July 15, 2022, 09:19:41 AM

I've always liked Virginia's, but I recently picked up a new one and am having difficulty distinguishing between freeways and scenic multi-lane divided roads.  I think that my copy had some sort of problem with ink selection.  But the freeways have changed from dark red to a brownish maroon, which appears to be the same color as the dark green outlines on the dark red multi-lane.  If I put on ultra-strong reading glasses, the black dividing stripes in the dark maroon start to show up.  I should be excited, since Chicago maroon is the official color of Virginia Tech (which hasn't really been used much since my freshman year, long gone along with the name VPI).

I've found Virginia's map confusing for the same reasons as yours.  Michigan's map is pretty simple and straightforward. 

Tom958

I'm not familiar enough with them to have a favorite, but I really dislike Alabama's, and North Carolina's definitely could be better.

dvferyance

Quote from: VetteDriver16 on July 15, 2022, 10:20:48 AM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on July 15, 2022, 09:19:41 AM

I've found Virginia's map confusing for the same reasons as yours.  Michigan's map is pretty simple and straightforward.
I am not familiar with the new one. The latest edition I have is the 2018-2020 edition. I did not know they changed the format up until now they have always looked the same since at least the early 90's.

Scott5114

The 2005 KDOT official map (PDF) is, as far as I've seen, the most aesthetically-pleasing official state map ever published. (It was changed the following year because the red lines for primary highways clashed with the green used in some parts of the relief map, making it inaccessible to those with color blindness. If not for that unfortunate oversight, I'd say it was the best, full stop.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

epzik8

I love any of Maryland's, but not very many of Virginia's.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

bandit957

Kentucky had some - probably in the '90s - that just were just blah. I think the problem was that it showed every town to be the same size.

West Virginia had one back around 2000 that I frowned upon because it featured a set of photos that essentially endorsed what were really bad policies in schools. Later, the school in question was found to have ranked among the very worst in the state. It's going to be humiliating for the state of West Virginia for people to look back at that map and see that it touted such a failed policy.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

CapeCodder

Quote from: bandit957 on August 12, 2022, 10:46:24 AM
Kentucky had some - probably in the '90s - that just were just blah. I think the problem was that it showed every town to be the same size.

West Virginia had one back around 2000 that I frowned upon because it featured a set of photos that essentially endorsed what were really bad policies in schools. Later, the school in question was found to have ranked among the very worst in the state. It's going to be humiliating for the state of West Virginia for people to look back at that map and see that it touted such a failed policy.

What did the WV cover look like?

bandit957

Quote from: CapeCodder on August 15, 2022, 08:42:20 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on August 12, 2022, 10:46:24 AM

What did the WV cover look like?

I don't even remember. It was probably the 2000 edition.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Road Hog

Arkansas' state maps in the 1970s had great fonts (I think based on the classic Gousha maps, upon subsequent learning) but the town name fonts have been almost unreadable for the last 20 years at least. Just change the font from something besides Industrial Drafting Board Light and it'll be great.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.