News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstates that Terminate at signalized Intersections

Started by dbz77, August 25, 2022, 07:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

It can be debated that I-787 does at both ends.  At the north end, it merges onto ALT NY 7 East and ends at a signal at 8th St in Troy.  At the south end, it is signed to end at a signal at US 9W in the south end of Albany.  Officially, it ends at Thruway Exit 23, and many often figure that it ends at NY 7 as it defaults to NY 787.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

Quote from: jt4 on September 03, 2022, 11:06:30 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 31, 2022, 11:52:02 AM
Surprised no one has erroneously nominated I-471 in Kentucky.

The freeway ends at a traffic light at US 27, but the segment between US 27 and I-275 is officially unsigned KY 471.

Understandable confusion, because KYTC has signed that portion as I-471.

Admittedly, it's been a while since i have been there, but my recollection is that the intersection is signed as "To I-471" at the spot where US 27 makes the right turn at the traffic light and the freeway begins.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 03, 2022, 12:49:20 PM
It can be debated that I-787 does at both ends.  At the north end, it merges onto ALT NY 7 East and ends at a signal at 8th St in Troy.  At the south end, it is signed to end at a signal at US 9W in the south end of Albany.  Officially, it ends at Thruway Exit 23, and many often figure that it ends at NY 7 as it defaults to NY 787.
You're mixing official and signed for this.  It's more than just "many often figure" for the Troy ending.  I-787's mileage does not continue to Troy; it continues on NY 787.  I-787's exit numbers don't continue at all.  The Collar City Bridge uses NY 7's mileage instead and lacks exit numbers.  There is no northbound reassurance signage for I-787, and guide signs do not mention it.  It's practically fully unsigned, save for southbound signage that could be interpreted as missing TO banners unless one knows better; otherwise, I-787 crosses the river to Troy only in NYSDOT and FHWA data.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DrSmith

I-189 in Burlington
I-195 in Saco used to be a blinker now looks like the blinker is gone

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on September 03, 2022, 09:07:37 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 03, 2022, 12:49:20 PM
You're mixing official and signed for this.  It's more than just "many often figure" for the Troy ending.  I-787's mileage does not continue to Troy; it continues on NY 787.  I-787's exit numbers don't continue at all.  The Collar City Bridge uses NY 7's mileage instead and lacks exit numbers.  There is no northbound reassurance signage for I-787, and guide signs do not mention it.  It's practically fully unsigned, save for southbound signage that could be interpreted as missing TO banners unless one knows better; otherwise, I-787 crosses the river to Troy only in NYSDOT and FHWA data.
"Only in NYSDOT and FHWA data" is the only place it matters.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

amroad17

Quote from: hbelkins on September 03, 2022, 06:22:05 PM
Quote from: jt4 on September 03, 2022, 11:06:30 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 31, 2022, 11:52:02 AM
Surprised no one has erroneously nominated I-471 in Kentucky.

The freeway ends at a traffic light at US 27, but the segment between US 27 and I-275 is officially unsigned KY 471.

Understandable confusion, because KYTC has signed that portion as I-471.

Admittedly, it's been a while since i have been there, but my recollection is that the intersection is signed as "To I-471" at the spot where US 27 makes the right turn at the traffic light and the freeway begins.
This is the current signage: https://goo.gl/maps/d7u8MJk74dDp1Gch7
This was the signage in 2013: https://goo.gl/maps/Tfkdsp96qttTjg8D8

This intersection has always been signed as NORTH I-471, I believe from when this segment opened c. 1980.  Even south of I-275 has an I-471 ENDS 1/2 MILE sign: https://goo.gl/maps/capNSDTfp5h2Z3SF6 even though the zero mile marker is at the gore point for the I-275 East to KY 471 South ramp: https://goo.gl/maps/ZH8UgWQamArhFSFg8

When I moved to Northern Kentucky from Hampton Roads in 1994, I-471 was considered to begin at the US 27 traffic light as a zero mile marker was placed there near the NE corner of the intersection.  It was sometime around 1998 that the mile markers were changed to reflect that I-471 began at I-275 and not at the US 27 Alexandria Pike traffic signal.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

thenetwork

Until the Opportunity Parkway project in Cleveland, I-490 more or less ended at East 55th Street at a "T" intersection*

*-- EB I-490 always had an END I-490 BGS just before the I-77 ramps,  but when the freeway dead-ended at E. 55th, There was both an overhead BGS and a reassurance shield for I-490 West as soon as you turned on from E. 55th.

Now that the SR-10/Opportunity Corridor corridor is completed and open, I-490's eastbound terminus is officially at I-77.

MCRoads

Both the north and south ends of I-35 end at a traffic signal.

And, while I guess technically not actually I-235 (OK), the freeway that keeps going north from the I-44 interchange ends at a signal. Why that whole freeway isn't I-235 is not clear to me.

Oh, and I-180 (WY) at both ends. and in the middle!
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

cl94

Quote from: gonealookin on August 25, 2022, 08:02:56 PM
Nevada's I-580 at the south junction of I-580/US 395/US 50 in Carson City.

The signal is supposed to be replaced by an SPUI as the final phase of the I-580 construction, but that's unfunded and is at least several years away.

That signal is rapidly becoming the bane of my existence. Only signal between Reno and the southern Tahoe basin.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

TheStranger

I-110's southern terminus at Gaffey Street in the San Pedro area of Los Angeles (several decades ago, this used to continue as State Route 110 southward along Gaffey, but not recently)

Chris Sampang

dbz77

Quote from: cl94 on September 05, 2022, 01:48:29 PM
Quote from: gonealookin on August 25, 2022, 08:02:56 PM
Nevada's I-580 at the south junction of I-580/US 395/US 50 in Carson City.

The signal is supposed to be replaced by an SPUI as the final phase of the I-580 construction, but that's unfunded and is at least several years away.

That signal is rapidly becoming the bane of my existence. Only signal between Reno and the southern Tahoe basin.
I wonder why you consider it the bane of your existence.

I did not consider it a bane when I visited the area just over a month ago. (I suppose it helped that it is the last signal before going up to Spooner.)

cl94

Quote from: dbz77 on September 05, 2022, 07:02:31 PM
I wonder why you consider it the bane of your existence.

I did not consider it a bane when I visited the area just over a month ago. (I suppose it helped that it is the last signal before going up to Spooner.)

That signal is not part of your commute.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.