News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

ixnay

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 02, 2023, 09:13:44 AM
CE Expert System:

District 5:  RATS Bridge Preservation #8  (includes a detour for PA 143)

They obviously shopped at Acronyms R Us.  What does RATS stand for?

74/171FAN

Quote from: ixnay on October 03, 2023, 08:06:20 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 02, 2023, 09:13:44 AM
CE Expert System:

District 5:  RATS Bridge Preservation #8  (includes a detour for PA 143)

They obviously shopped at Acronyms R Us.  What does RATS stand for?

Reading Area Transportation Study, it is the MPO for Berks County.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

seicer

The reconstruction of I-78 at Krumsville is just about complete. It involved rebuilding every bridge on the highway, reconstruction of the roadway base, and adding truck lanes on the steepest of grades. On both of the weekdays that we traveled on the segment, traffic was moving fairly well.

The concrete pavement by Wescosville/Fogelsville looks to be ready for an asphalt overlay. The concrete has been diamond-ground by what looks like a full inch, leaving a considerable lip between the mainline pavement and the shoulder.

74/171FAN

Quote from: seicer on October 05, 2023, 02:29:43 PM
The reconstruction of I-78 at Krumsville is just about complete. It involved rebuilding every bridge on the highway, reconstruction of the roadway base, and adding truck lanes on the steepest of grades. On both of the weekdays that we traveled on the segment, traffic was moving fairly well.

The concrete pavement by Wescosville/Fogelsville looks to be ready for an asphalt overlay. The concrete has been diamond-ground by what looks like a full inch, leaving a considerable lip between the mainline pavement and the shoulder.

I am just waiting on the final word that it is complete for me to do a redrive of I-78 west of I-95/NJTP.

(For PA 187)  PennDOT - District 3 News: Embankment Failure to Reduce a Portion of Route 187 to a Single Lane in Wilmont Township, Bradford County

PennDOT - District 6 News: PennDOT to Begin Boot Road Bridge Replacement Project Next Week in East Caln Township

Crown Victoria

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 05, 2023, 02:52:51 PM
Quote from: seicer on October 05, 2023, 02:29:43 PM

I am just waiting on the final word that it is complete for me to do a redrive of I-78 west of I-95/NJTP.

Looks like they'll be closing lanes on 78 this weekend again, presumably for sign installation, as the regular green mile markers are not up yet (the orange work zone markers are still in place). There were a lot of trucks on the road today, and we did have a bit of a slowdown where the new climbing lane ends westbound just east of 737. We'll have to make do with what we got, but this really should have been six lanes throughout.

I can also verify that the asphalt overlay around Fogelsville has begun and when complete will extend all the way from there to PA 309 South.

Also, poking around the PennDOT site recently, it looks like the Lenhartsville Bridge project will get going soon...

74/171FAN

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/UJUEDcradrrE4Lfp7
Why is there a STOP sign here for a ramp that has a proper merge and acceleration lane?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on October 09, 2023, 06:51:02 AM
https://maps.app.goo.gl/UJUEDcradrrE4Lfp7
Why is there a STOP sign here for a ramp that has a proper merge and acceleration lane?

If you zoom in, the acceleration lane is fairly short.  Now if only the railroad bridge would be expanded to allow for an auxiliary lane.

The Ghostbuster

I agree that the overpass (it is not a railroad bridge, it is for Tilghman St.) should be replaced and widened to allow an auxiliary lane between Tilghman St. and Interstate 476. As everyone probably knows, the US 22 freeway was the original alignment for Interstate 78 though Allentown (PA 378 being former Interstate 378 is proof of this). However, due to the substandard nature of the freeway, and opposition to completing the freeway though Phillipsburg, the southern realignment was constructed.

roadman65

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 09, 2023, 12:00:08 PM
I agree that the overpass (it is not a railroad bridge, it is for Tilghman St.) should be replaced and widened to allow an auxiliary lane between Tilghman St. and Interstate 476. As everyone probably knows, the US 22 freeway was the original alignment for Interstate 78 though Allentown (PA 378 being former Interstate 378 is proof of this). However, due to the substandard nature of the freeway, and opposition to completing the freeway though Phillipsburg, the southern realignment was constructed.

It probably will be replaced. The PA 737 overpass  ( several miles to the west) was also once a pony truss bridge like Tilghman Street is here but got replaced with many others along US 22. I'm sure this abnormally will be corrected. However, a yield sign will still suffice here rather than a Stop sign as there still is enough room for a safe merge.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

I'll probably get flamed for this, but here goes a simple request.  Perhaps others can chime in with their opinions as well:

Why not create an additional subforum for Pennsylvania *specifically* for all the road projects that bombard.the various PA & Penna Tpk threads?

1.  The vast majority of these posts are for little day or week long projects.
2.  The vast majority of these posts get no responses or replies.
3.  For those of us who.click on unread threads that we once posted on, we open these up to see mostly these project posts that fit points 1. & 2.  and we spend time.usually backing out of them instead of clicking on the links.
4.  In nearly all the other state (Sub) Forums, threads are about general, non-daily project reports.  If it is about a larger scale long-term road project, there is usually a.seperate thread for it with lots of responses.

Wouldn't it make more logical sense to put all PA road projects in its own subforum or thread and leave the general PA.state,  PA Turnpike and PA regional subforums/threads to just that -- meaningful topics that will garner noticeable replies?

Come on -- is a posting of "PennDOT Announces Two-way traffic East of Harrisburg today only"  really necessary on a general State or Turnpike Forum?

Asbestos suit is on...

74/171FAN

^A question like this better fits in the Suggestions and Questions Board.  I am open to further discussion on this, but it really does not belong in this thread.

Beyond that, does it really matter whether people respond to something or not?  You are allowed to avoid any thread you choose to.

You could arguably make this same point in regard to the I-69 in Indiana thread where it is mainly just someone continually looking at the traffic cameras and posting photos from them showing daily progress.  I do not expect any complaints from that.

thenetwork

Because I once made a post or several in the Indiana thread. that also shows up
Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 11, 2023, 10:58:52 PM
^A question like this better fits in the Suggestions and Questions Board.  I am open to further discussion on this, but it really does not belong in this thread.

Beyond that, does it really matter whether people respond to something or not?  You are allowed to avoid any thread you choose to.

You could arguably make this same point in regard to the I-69 in Indiana thread where it is mainly just someone continually looking at the traffic cameras and posting photos from them showing daily progress.  I do not expect any complaints from that.

Interesting...Since I have occasionally posted in the Indiana thread over the years, that forum will show up from time to time when I select  "Show New Replies From Your Posts", and quite honestly, I have not seen countless posts of I-69 photos, nae, I don't ever recalling seeing even one post with the minutiae, as it is likely a single thread WITHIN the general Indiana Forum and not directly placed ON the primary Indiana thread. 

The copious lists of petty projects are NOT in their own sub-thread on the main PA/Tpk/Regional threads.   Just this little tweak (a PennDot/PA Tpk Projects standalone thread) can make a HUGE difference to those interested in larger, more replied threads.

Just sayin'...

Scott5114

Quote from: thenetwork on October 11, 2023, 10:03:49 PM
Why not create an additional subforum for Pennsylvania *specifically* for all the road projects that bombard.the various PA & Penna Tpk threads?

Because then we would have to create subforums for every other state and DC, meaning that as an admin my front page would have 73 forums and subforums on it. That would be absolutely unmanageable to administrate. It will absolutely never happen under any circumstances ever.

NOTABUG WONTFIX
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

74/171FAN

Anyway, back to regularly scheduled programming:

CE Expert System:

District 2: PA 477 Bridge over Long Run

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 12, 2023, 01:16:55 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on October 11, 2023, 10:03:49 PM

Because then we would have to create subforums for every other state and DC, meaning that as an admin my front page would have 73 forums and subforums on it. That would be absolutely unmanageable to administrate. It will absolutely never happen under any circumstances ever.

NOTABUG WONTFIX

I have a better idea.
Have all of 74/171's PA twitter, errr, X, updates in a separate thread on here. 98% of those posts have little to no barring on conversation around here.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.