Omaha "city meet" - April 29, 2023

Started by A.J. Bertin, June 19, 2022, 10:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

I wasn't intending to make my announcement about my 2023 "city meet" quite so soon, but certain factors emerged that have prompted me to do so.  I've decided that my gathering in 2023 will be held in Omaha, Nebraska!

I will continue the same format I used for my previous gatherings (Providence RI in 2019 and Outer Banks NC in 2022)... a choose-your-own-sightseeing event.  I will select restaurants where the attendees will convene for lunch and dinner, and folks can explore certain aspects of Omaha individually or in small groups between lunch and dinner.  My philosophy with these gatherings basically goes like this: "I'm exploring this city for the first time; come and explore it with me."

I'm not ready to make the date official, but I am strongly aiming for this event to take place on Saturday, April 29.  It will likely not be until sometime in the fall that I will make the date official, but I just wanted to give everyone a heads up as to what I'm planning.
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Omaha: still should have a couple non-reflective button copy signs around 480/80. Iowa 680 is now 880. Um... not sure what else. Suggest others chime in here what there is to see within daytrip range!

Great Lakes Roads

Some of the major projects happening in the Omaha/Lincoln area:

Lincoln South Beltway Project- Lincoln
Fremont Southeast Project- Fremont
I-29/I-480 Interchange Reconstruction Project (currently underway) & I-29/I-80 Express Lanes (completed)- Council Bluffs

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Alps on June 20, 2022, 12:18:34 AM
Omaha: still should have a couple non-reflective button copy signs around 480/80. Iowa 680 is now 880. Um... not sure what else.

Different folks will find different aspects of Omaha to explore and appreciate... some things being road-related and some not.  Some folks won't have any interest in attending this gathering, and that's fine!  It's not for everyone.   :spin:
-A.J. from Michigan

TheHighwayMan3561

Omaha is fairly close to me and a place I have explored almost none of, so I am planning on being there whenever it is.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jpi

Will keep this in mind, would be a great way to clinch some more Nebraska Counties
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

corco

I really really really want to go to this, especially since I missed Outer Banks

cl94

I am very interested in an excuse to see more of this part of the country, but a ton of factors at play here. Let's see what 2023 brings, but I like anything that gives me an excuse to eat at Runza.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

IowaTraveler

Quote from: Alps on June 20, 2022, 12:18:34 AM
Omaha: still should have a couple non-reflective button copy signs around 480/80. Iowa 680 is now 880. Um... not sure what else. Suggest others chime in here what there is to see within daytrip range!

There's a road at the west end of Omaha with a 3-mile stretch of 1920 brick paving original to the Lincoln Highway.

vdeane

There's also Carter Lake, IA, over on the Nebraska side of the river, complete with IA 165.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

paulthemapguy

My brother lived in Omaha for a couple years, and here are some of the memorable road elements I remember.

The Dodge Street/US6 viaduct from I-680 west is a wacky bi-level freeway unique to the area https://goo.gl/maps/yy94pgUGv2tTKhED7

...And farther east along Dodge Street, the reversible lanes with their overhead signals were remarkable too. Dashed double-yellow lines, anyone?
https://goo.gl/maps/VT17Fr248TrzxVFp8

Lastly, I found the diagonally-oriented overhead truss arms an interesting setup for signal construction.
https://goo.gl/maps/iukEHCeqojzaYDMFA

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

okroads

This was on my radar when you first mentioned this idea to me years ago, and it's even more on my radar now that I live closer to Omaha. Will be keeping an eye on this meet for updates.

roadwaywiz95

A few notes/tips from me following my quick visit to the Omaha area today:

The large-scale I-29/480 reconstruction project through Council Bluffs is well underway and involves replacements of ramps and reconstruction of freeway roadways across town. The project should still be in full swing come next April, so there will likely be construction-related things to see, as well as highway/street closures to keep in mind.

Still a few old non-reflective button copy assemblies along I-680 north of Omaha - hopefully they'll still be around come next year. The I-680 Mormon Bridges on the Missouri River are interesting and worth a quick side trip if bridges are your thing.

Speaking of bridges, the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge is a unique cable-stayed bridge across the Missouri River near downtown Omaha that's built on a curved alignment and has become a popular destination for folks in the bridge enthusiasts community since it opened in 2008.

Finally, the city of Lincoln is about 45 minutes west of Omaha and is home to what I consider to be among the most impressive State Capitol buildings in the country. There's also the University of Nebraska main campus and the aforementioned South Lincoln Beltway project out that way as well if those appeal to you.

All in all, definitely enough going on out that way to support a meet in '23.
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on July 04, 2022, 10:39:20 PM
A few notes/tips from me following my quick visit to the Omaha area today:

The large-scale I-29/480 reconstruction project through Council Bluffs is well underway and involves replacements of ramps and reconstruction of freeway roadways across town. The project should still be in full swing come next April, so there will likely be construction-related things to see, as well as highway/street closures to keep in mind.

Still a few old non-reflective button copy assemblies along I-680 north of Omaha - hopefully they'll still be around come next year. The I-680 Mormon Bridges on the Missouri River are interesting and worth a quick side trip if bridges are your thing.

Speaking of bridges, the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge is a unique cable-stayed bridge across the Missouri River near downtown Omaha that's built on a curved alignment and has become a popular destination for folks in the bridge enthusiasts community since it opened in 2008.

Finally, the city of Lincoln is about 45 minutes west of Omaha and is home to what I consider to be among the most impressive State Capitol buildings in the country. There's also the University of Nebraska main campus and the aforementioned South Lincoln Beltway project out that way as well if those appeal to you.

All in all, definitely enough going on out that way to support a meet in '23.

Thank you for sharing this!   :colorful:
-A.J. from Michigan

SD Mapman

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on July 04, 2022, 10:39:20 PM
I've ran over that; it was quite interesting! On other bridge notes, there's also the public art bridges in Council Bluffs if anyone's interested in those. There's also the (I believe) last toll bridge across the Missouri at Bellevue (costs $1).

I was going to chime in about other things to see (since going back and forth from the Hills to KC on a semi-regular basis for 5 years and having family just west of Omaha has afforded me the opportunity to go pretty much everywhere in the city), but it looks like y'all have covered most everything!
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

IowaTraveler

Quote from: SD Mapman on July 05, 2022, 10:59:01 PM
There's also the (I believe) last toll bridge across the Missouri at Bellevue (costs $1).

There's also the Plattsmouth toll bridge just a little bit further south, with a $1.75 toll.

CanesFan27

I understand that this meeting will be somewhere in the middle of America.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 06, 2022, 05:55:24 PM

Umm... yes?  Omaha would be somewhere in the middle region of the United States.  LOL
-A.J. from Michigan

CanesFan27

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 06, 2022, 09:59:28 PM

Umm... yes?  Omaha would be somewhere in the middle region of the United States.  LOL

Not a Counting Crows fan, eh?

jpi

I am a Counting Crows fan but forget which song the lyrics are from
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 07, 2022, 09:08:59 AM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 06, 2022, 09:59:28 PM

Not a Counting Crows fan, eh?

I like a couple of their songs but wouldn't say I'm a fan.  I'm not familiar with this song you're quoting, but it's cool that you like them.
-A.J. from Michigan

Scott5114

I'll consider attending, depending on how the finance, general life situation, etc. is by then.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 07, 2022, 09:43:26 PM
I'll consider attending, depending on how the finance, general life situation, etc. is by then.
...and Counting Crows.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: jpi on July 07, 2022, 12:42:51 PM
Omaha! :D

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on July 07, 2022, 11:03:39 PM
Quote from: jpi on July 07, 2022, 12:42:51 PM
Omaha! :D
Somewhere in middle America...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.