News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

DST (2018)

Started by 02 Park Ave, February 08, 2018, 07:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kalvado

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 10, 2018, 08:33:11 PM

If you post that at 3.00 AM, THAT would be a good one

SSOWorld

No, post it at 2:01 AM. :P
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

ghYHZ

I'm at 62W/45.5N and we just had sunrise here at 7:29 Atlantic Daylight Time....so I guess I'll have to get used to picking up my double-double at Tim's in the dark again at 6:30 for the next few weeks!

Sunset will be 7:07 tonight but with a high of only +4 (40F) today....there's really not much to do outside around the yard yet in the extended daylight after supper.

The change to ADT would have been better here if it occurred in about a month's time...... but I guess you can't please everyone! 

02 Park Ave

I'm at 40N/75W and it is a dark morning thanks to the politicians who have imposed this daylight savings time on us.  I will not have daylight for over a month when I get up now.
C-o-H

MNHighwayMan

DAYLIGHT
SAVING
TIME.

NO SECOND S.

I'm at [insert Des Moines, IA coordinates here] and I feel wronged because ill-educated politicians (oxymoron, anyone?) still subscribe to a bad idea popularized in the early 20th century. :angry:

TheHighwayMan3561

I guess I'll be the one to break up the DST bitching that as a guy whose lifestyle has been geared toward nighttime since as long as I can remember, I welcome the later daylight hours.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 11, 2018, 07:35:41 AM
I guess I'll be the one to break up the DST bitching that as a guy whose lifestyle has been geared toward nighttime since as long as I can remember, I welcome the later daylight hours.

It's interesting you say that, because I'd generally consider myself the same, but I have the opposite response: I don't care which adjustment from GMT I live in–I'd just rather that it not change twice a year.

Eth

7:54 AM sunrise in Atlanta this morning. Yuck.

Moving the switchover to early March was easily one of the stupidest decisions ever made. (And this is also why permanent DST is a complete non-starter. Permanent standard time would be workable, though.)

KEVIN_224

New Britain, CT (just southwest of Hartford) has rise and set times of 7:09 AM and 6:53 PM. Total time is 11 hours 44 minutes.

SSOWorld

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 11, 2018, 07:30:49 AM
DAYLIGHT
SAVINGWASTING
TIME.

NO SECOND S.

I'm at [insert Des Moines, IA coordinates here] and I feel wronged because ill-educated politicians (oxymoron, anyone?) still subscribe to a bad idea popularized in the early 20th century. :angry:
bandit957's favorite fix.  :sombrero:
Scott O.

Raise your what?

cjk374

I hate standard time. I love DST! (ducks)

Now I have no chance of working in the dark until November when the time changes back. I too prefer later daylight hours when the sun sets closer to nine rather than 5:30 p.m.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

kalvado

Quote from: cjk374 on March 11, 2018, 11:29:17 AM

Now I have no chance of working in the dark until November when the time changes back. I too prefer later daylight hours when the sun sets closer to nine rather than 5:30 p.m.
Sounds like you love summer and not DST specifically. 

mgk920

DST is one of the few ideas that came into Ben Franklin's mind that he should have kept to himself.  Every time I have to change the clocks, the harder the transition is on me.

:angry:

It's to the point where I'm wondering if worldwide UTC ('zulu') wouldn't be the right way to go.  Instead of this being posted at 10:54 CST ('UTC -5'), it would be posted at 1554z.

Mike

kalvado

Quote from: mgk920 on March 11, 2018, 11:54:24 AM

It's to the point where I'm wondering if worldwide UTC ('zulu') wouldn't be the right way to go.  Instead of this being posted at 10:54 CST ('UTC -5'), it would be posted at 1554z.

Mike
I was flirting with that idea somewhere up the thread.
Two issues:
1. Date will change mid-day for some folks. Not the biggest concern for NY, where date will click at what is now 7 PM, but 4 PM date switch in San Francisco can be bothersome. Imaging if you have a big contract to be signed at 3 PM, and that event runs late - date of contract becomes a legal nightmare... 
2. You will never know what is the actual time of day at a different location. If your overseas friends tell you it is 9 PM, you can safely assume they are about to go to bed, give or take an hour or 2 at most. If both of you are at 18.00 UTC, it tells nothing about actual schedules. Or would you have enough time to catch that 3.00 UTC flight after a day of meetings in HNL?

J N Winkler

I view DST as something that persists through political inertia because the arguments for and against are finely balanced while the annoyance of a clock change comes around only twice a year.  I favor year-round DST/shifting to the standard time the next time zone east, but this is because I actually like dark mornings, a preference I realize is not shared by the majority of the population and is hard to justify in the face of the standard "What about the little children?" argument.

This year I dealt with the time change by moving the clocks forward at midafternoon yesterday, not just before bedtime, so that the missing hour came out of Saturday daytime chores rather than Saturday evening leisure.  But because my computer is on British time (a necessity so that time offsets for scripts that scrape state DOT FTP servers are all of uniform sign) and so adheres to the EU DST schedule, I will have to deal with scripts running an hour behind for a week or two.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

CNGL-Leudimin

Since I use the Euro DST dates with my forum time, starting today and until March 25 it is one hour behind the local time of wherever Big Rig Steve is (except if he is to be in Arizona outside the Navajo nation). Since he is now taking a few days off out in Cali, my forum time is now nothing less that Alaska's :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jwolfer

Quote from: cjk374 on March 11, 2018, 11:29:17 AM

I agree.  I like having daylight after I get out of work. Dark mornings don't bother me that much

Z981

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on March 10, 2018, 07:53:55 AM
DST does not work currently in eastern NY or New England.  It just starts to get light out and then you have to wake up in the dark again after the time change.

New England, keep in mind, is the least of it. Everywhere between there and Indiana had even less light this morning.

The nice thing is that days are increasing in length at their fastest rate right now. So mornings will be as light as they were yesterday in another month or so.

jeffandnicole

I don't know if it's ever been posted here, but here's the link to the study: https://www.colorado.edu/economics/papers/WPs-14/wp14-05/wp14-05.pdf

Honestly, I didn't read thru the entire thing, because it's written on a fairly high technical level.  But looking at the graphics, it appears this happens:  Deaths are slightly higher the 6 or 7 days around the change to DST compared to the time period just before and after.  However, there's a much larger swing between wintertime (when people aren't driving as much) and summertime (which a lot more people are traveling).

Early in the report, the author estimates there are about 100 fatal crashes per day in the US, which is correct...as an *average*.  He quickly never mentions it again, as his own data shows that driving in the summer overall is much, much more dangerous than in the winter, a time period far removed from the hour lost in March and gained in November.

If you look at Figure 7 on page 31 of the PDF, he highlights the 6 days around the beginning DST when fatals do seem to spike for that period of time.  However, if you look at the chart, around the 25th day after DST, fatals have risen to the same rate again, and continue to rise towards the 50th day after DST (and beyond)

So while everyone wants to make a big deal about DST, you're really best to stay off the road from around mid-April thru the autumn, when fatals are higher.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 11, 2018, 04:49:56 PM
I don't know if it's ever been posted here, but here's the link to the study: https://www.colorado.edu/economics/papers/WPs-14/wp14-05/wp14-05.pdf

Honestly, I didn't read thru the entire thing, because it's written on a fairly high technical level.  But looking at the graphics, it appears this happens:  Deaths are slightly higher the 6 or 7 days around the change to DST compared to the time period just before and after.  However, there's a much larger swing between wintertime (when people aren't driving as much) and summertime (which a lot more people are traveling).

Early in the report, the author estimates there are about 100 fatal crashes per day in the US, which is correct...as an *average*.  He quickly never mentions it again, as his own data shows that driving in the summer overall is much, much more dangerous than in the winter, a time period far removed from the hour lost in March and gained in November.

If you look at Figure 7 on page 31 of the PDF, he highlights the 6 days around the beginning DST when fatals do seem to spike for that period of time.  However, if you look at the chart, around the 25th day after DST, fatals have risen to the same rate again, and continue to rise towards the 50th day after DST (and beyond)

So while everyone wants to make a big deal about DST, you're really best to stay off the road from around mid-April thru the autumn, when fatals are higher.

Your last paragraph (more deaths in the summer, so you should avoid it) contradicts your first paragraph (more deaths in the summer, because there are more cars total).
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

english si

Quote from: webny99 on March 11, 2018, 04:37:45 PMThe nice thing is that days are increasing in length at their fastest rate right now. So mornings will be as light as they were yesterday in another month or so.
Sunrise times are reset to yesterdays on: April 16th for NYC. May 2nd for Jacksonville, April 5th for London, and the 27th of March for Reykjavik (if Iceland did DST, which it doesn't).

As well as being further east and thus having earlier dawns anyway, being further north means that Eastern NY/New England recover quicker than the rest of the EST area in the US.

The problem currently had is the same as the solution - that the length of daylight is increasing at a faster rate than further south means that changing a week or two before the solstice means that there isn't yet quite the length of day to be able to do the shift sensibly that there is further south. Though if longitude is taken to account, that difference was 2 minutes from Jax to NYC yesterday and so dwarfed by the half-a-time-zone further west Jax is.

These problems are far greater in the fall. The March change is roughly in the right place, but October/November is too late. Miami's latest sunrise is the last day of DST (see a previous post of mine on this) and even somewhere as far north (and thus more extreme wrt daylight lengths) as London has a 0744 sunrise on the last day of DST this year (Oct 27th) with it taking until December 2nd to be as-late again.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on March 11, 2018, 05:00:56 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 11, 2018, 04:49:56 PM

Your last paragraph (more deaths in the summer, so you should avoid it) contradicts your first paragraph (more deaths in the summer, because there are more cars total).

Not at all.  They compliment each other.  If you want to avoid a deadlier time period of traveling, don't travel in the summer when more people are on the road.

US71

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 11, 2018, 12:36:34 PM
I view DST as something that persists through political inertia because the arguments for and against are finely balanced while the annoyance of a clock change comes around only twice a year.  I favor year-round DST/shifting to the standard time the next time zone east, but this is because I actually like dark mornings, a preference I realize is not shared by the majority of the population and is hard to justify in the face of the standard "What about the little children?" argument.

This year I dealt with the time change by moving the clocks forward at midafternoon yesterday, not just before bedtime, so that the missing hour came out of Saturday daytime chores rather than Saturday evening leisure.  But because my computer is on British time (a necessity so that time offsets for scripts that scrape state DOT FTP servers are all of uniform sign) and so adheres to the EU DST schedule, I will have to deal with scripts running an hour behind for a week or two.

I reset my alarm clock before going to bed by hitting the DST button :)

I went to bed about 45 minutes early and woke up about 30 minutes late, "new time".
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US71 on March 11, 2018, 05:57:58 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on March 11, 2018, 12:36:34 PM

I reset my alarm clock before going to bed by hitting the DST button :)

I went to bed about 45 minutes early and woke up about 30 minutes late, "new time".

My alarm clock has such a complicated way to change to DST time that it's easier just to change the actual clock.

I went to bed at 4:30am and woke up at 11:30am, DST times.  I guess the time change really didn't affect me due to such late going-to-bed and waking up times! lol

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.