News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 37 (Minnesota)

Started by Molandfreak, February 10, 2015, 03:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

And besides, I don't think Chicago would be too happy about losing its I-x5 route in favor of an extended I-44.

However, I hope your proposal gets some consideration at least.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

texaskdog

Quote from: Rover_0 on June 09, 2015, 06:50:29 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on June 09, 2015, 03:40:21 PM
How about Interstate 55 from Saint Louis to Chicago becomes an extension of I-44 and I-55 takes over the routing to Saint Paul?  Traffic going from New Orleans to Chicago wouldn't go through Saint Louis anyway.

That sounds similar to the routing of the planned US-55.

Knew I couldn't put anything past y'all :)

texaskdog

Quote from: Henry on June 10, 2015, 10:10:09 AM
And besides, I don't think Chicago would be too happy about losing its I-x5 route in favor of an extended I-44.

Do you really think anyone gets outraged about this anymore??

Brandon

Quote from: texaskdog on June 10, 2015, 11:37:19 AM

Ask IDOT the last time WisDOT even so much as suggested that I-55 be extended north over what is now I-41.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

texaskdog

Quote from: Brandon on June 10, 2015, 01:29:21 PM

Ask IDOT the last time WisDOT even so much as suggested that I-55 be extended north over what is now I-41.

Okay, so why would Illinois care that I-55 gets LONGER?  that should be I-55 for sure

texaskdog

Okay 94 ends at Tomah, 55 goes to Saint Paul, 44 follows along 55 and then 94 through Michigan, 65 extends over I-41, all fixed!

corco

Quote from: NE2 on February 10, 2015, 12:44:18 PM
I-35EE.

I-35EES or I-35EN would be preferred if we're going that route, though the latter would require several other renumberings.

The Ghostbuster

What is the likelihood that US 52 will become Interstate 37? In the Fictional Highways World, I'd put Interstate 37 along US 53 between Eau Claire and Superior.

Brandon

Quote from: texaskdog on June 10, 2015, 02:27:23 PM
Quote from: Brandon on June 10, 2015, 01:29:21 PM

Okay, so why would Illinois care that I-55 gets LONGER?  that should be I-55 for sure

IDOT is lazy, IMHO, and does not play well with others.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

corco

Being serious for a moment, if you're serious:

1. As much as possible, have a plan. Froggie's "make it a freeway" comment is kind of flippant, but it's accurate. Develop a plan to make it a freeway. Develop a proposed time frame. Come up with a list of agencies that you'd need to coordinate with, possible funding sources, and a specific, targeted idea. Good ideas are easy to come up with - actually implementing them is the challenge, and people get sick of hearing about good ideas that aren't ever actually going to happen. Even if the plan is a little bit of a stretch, if it's at least somewhat realistic there's a chance people will buy into it.

2. Come up with the actual benefits as much as possible. Why do these communities care if the highway is a freeway? Why do they care if it has an interstate designation? Let's say you're using economic development as your argument - are there studies that you can pull that show that interstate designation definitively == more money for a region? What are some other case studies in the area? I-41 comes to mind as a possible recent example that could be heavily drawn from.

3. I'd engage community organizations prior to going to city councils, to be honest. Once you've identified why the highway should be an interstate and why people should care, contact the people who would stand to benefit. If you're using economic development, get in touch with local chambers of commerce. These are the people that actually have power in a community, as opposed to some random person who popped in out of nowhere. Build relationships with these folks, and use them as your "ins" to talk to government. Sell them on the idea. This will help to establish your own credibility - city councils don't often have time for a powerpoint presentation from some dude who doesn't even live in their community. Without the credibility to get posted as an agenda item, you'll probably be limited to the random public comment period, which is usually limited to a couple minutes per person and certainly not enough time to do a Powerpoint. Having a specific, detailed, implementable plan with the documentation to back it up will also help you get on the actual agenda.

4. It may be helpful to develop a website and a coalition of sorts - get on the ground floor with an "I-37 Coalition" or something that reaches out to key stakeholders in a community. This will also help to give you credibility. You really have two challenges:
A) Why should anybody listen to what you have to say?
B) Why is this proposal necessary?
Your goal should be to address and fully resolve those two components before doing anything else.

While that may sound discouraging, don't be discouraged. It's amazing how few people give a shit about the world, and enthusiasm toward communities and economic development is nearly always welcomed, from what I've noticed. If you have a good idea and you're willing to put the work into sell it (and you're nice about it, willing to accept input, and not demanding), it's definitely possible to do so.

froggie

That was not my intention, and I apologize that I didn't word it better.  My point was mainly two-part.  That unless you get the MN Congressional delegation to slip a rider into a bill, the freeway conversion would need to take place first before you could get serious about an Interstate designation...there are ways to add Interstates without Congressional action, but FHWA all but requires that the road in question is Interstate-quality first before they'd approve it.

The second part of my point was more financial in nature.  In short, there's no way that MnDOT will be able to perform this upgrade without additional revenue.  The events of this past Legislative session, unfortunatley, reinforced that.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 10, 2015, 03:52:02 PM
What is the likelihood that US 52 will become Interstate 37? In the Fictional Highways World, I'd put Interstate 37 along US 53 between Eau Claire and Superior.

I am pretty sure that US-53 will never be upgraded to a full freeway along that stretch.  I don't think there are any interchanges between Rice Lake and the south side of Superior, and my recollection is that the expressway is plenty sufficient for the traffic.

texaskdog

Quote from: Molandfreak on February 10, 2015, 03:44:15 AM
With Cannon Falls businesses in an uproar

Sounds like they need the Texas style frontage road.  Of course Minnesota would have no idea how to make one work.

midwesternroadguy

As much as I drive US 52 between Rochester and the Cities, I'm not sure it warrants a 2-di designation by itself.  At that latitude, I had always thought that the US 53 corridor from Duluth (or even I Falls) MN to Eau Claire, WI makes a better 2-di corridor (much of it is freeway already in WI) since it's longer and traverses two states. 

However, if the Avenue of the Saint corridor were rerouted through Rochester, then that might make a better 2di from St. Louis to St. Paul. 

If we're talking about an interstate designation only between Rochester and the Cities then an odd 3di from I-90 makes sense (I-190, 390, etc.)  Reserve any 3dis from an I-94 root for possible spurs from the Twin Cities and the rest of MN and adjacent WI. 

SSOWorld

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 11, 2015, 11:08:56 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 10, 2015, 03:52:02 PM

I am pretty sure that US-53 will never be upgraded to a full freeway along that stretch.  I don't think there are any interchanges between Rice Lake and the south side of Superior, and my recollection is that the expressway is plenty sufficient for the traffic.
One exists at WIS-70.  A "partial" one exists at US-2's east split and partial here means that WB US-2 traffic seeking SB-US-53 access must use a u-turn slip to get onto it via the median.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Molandfreak

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on June 11, 2015, 11:32:57 AM
As much as I drive US 52 between Rochester and the Cities, I'm not sure it warrants a 2-di designation by itself.  At that latitude, I had always thought that the US 53 corridor from Duluth (or even I Falls) MN to Eau Claire, WI makes a better 2-di corridor (much of it is freeway already in WI) since it's longer and traverses two states. 

However, if the Avenue of the Saint corridor were rerouted through Rochester, then that might make a better 2di from St. Louis to St. Paul. 

If we're talking about an interstate designation only between Rochester and the Cities then an odd 3di from I-90 makes sense (I-190, 390, etc.)  Reserve any 3dis from an I-94 root for possible spurs from the Twin Cities and the rest of MN and adjacent WI.
Can't you read? Stop it.
QuoteAlso, please spare the comments about the number; this thread isn't about that. It's preliminary, to get the support of Rochester specifically.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Molandfreak on June 11, 2015, 05:47:37 PM
Quote from: midwesternroadguy on June 11, 2015, 11:32:57 AM

Can't you read? Stop it.
QuoteAlso, please spare the comments about the number; this thread isn't about that. It's preliminary, to get the support of Rochester specifically.

???  Maybe you should calm down.  Many people were talking about the number.  No reason to be rude.

Molandfreak

It's just kind of frustrating because it happened immediately after I asked.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

bugo

Quote from: texaskdog on February 13, 2015, 08:00:18 AM
Quote from: froggie on February 11, 2015, 06:46:01 PM
low potential for confusion

If they really believed this there could be a lot of duplication.  In Texas DFW has Texas 360 and Austin has loop 360.  I don't think any of us have made any mistakes.

Texas 70 crosses US 70. Georgia 27 crosses US 27. Montana 287 ends at US 287, Arkansas 530 ends at I-530. US 69 intersects I-69. US 74 duplexes with the illegitimate I-74. US 41 and the silly I-41 duplex.

bugo

Quote from: dfwmapper on February 13, 2015, 04:15:42 PM
If they really believed this there could be a lot of duplication.  In Texas DFW has Texas 360 and Austin has loop 360.  I don't think any of us have made any mistakes.
TxDOT had to replace a bunch of signs on southbound US 75 in Grayson County because people were mixing up FM 121 with SH 121 and ending up in Gunter or Tioga instead of at the airport. The F.M. 121 shield on the exit signs was replaced with "FM 121" text, and a "DFW TRAFFIC DO NOT EXIT" supplement at the bottom, and some of the distance signs have "SH 121 to DFW" listed as a destination.

skluth

Quote from: bugo on June 12, 2015, 11:36:20 AM
TxDOT had to replace a bunch of signs on southbound US 75 in Grayson County because people were mixing up FM 121 with SH 121 and ending up in Gunter or Tioga instead of at the airport. The F.M. 121 shield on the exit signs was replaced with "FM 121" text, and a "DFW TRAFFIC DO NOT EXIT" supplement at the bottom, and some of the distance signs have "SH 121 to DFW" listed as a destination.

More proof that you can't cure stupid.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: skluth on June 14, 2015, 09:22:08 AM

It has nothing to do with being stupid.  This exit is 15 miles from the TX-121 exit that takes you to the airport.  If you are not familiar with the area and/or how Texas numbers its highways, I can't blame someone for being confused.

bugo

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 14, 2015, 10:25:43 AM
Quote from: skluth on June 14, 2015, 09:22:08 AM

It has nothing to do with being stupid.  This exit is 15 miles from the TX-121 exit that takes you to the airport.  If you are not familiar with the area and/or how Texas numbers its highways, I can't blame someone for being confused.

+1

silverback1065

maybe a renumbering would make it easier?

Trademark

What if instead of calling it I-37. We mark it right now as I-190. As it stands right now it has enough traffic and local importance as a spur to Rochester that it could be approved right now and then as soon as more freeway miles are added just count up the miles and add it to the freeway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.