News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Future of US 12 in Wisconsin

Started by US 12 fan, August 20, 2017, 09:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 29, 2022, 02:16:31 PM
I thought they were still going with that goofy offset location for a diamond interchange; like the plan was to connect it to future arterial streets going each way or something.  This makes it seem like they're going with a diamond at the location of the existing intersection.  Which is good.
But wish they had a more official map rather than this OSM baloney I currently see on the project site.

This article has a more detailed map.

https://www.hngnews.com/monona_cottage_grove/news/local/cottage_grove/wisconsin-dot-to-build-interchange-at-u-s-highway-12-18-and-county-highway-ab/article_9f3724d8-f197-11ec-bd99-1fb0bab6c954.html

triplemultiplex

So they are doing that goofy offset.  <sigh>

I don't like it because it's space inefficient.  They're gobbling up a lot of land to do this, which is ostensibly to hook into some suburban arterial corridor heading north from here toward Sprecher Rd.  But it's like, there's plenty of room to do that on the existing alignment, if it comes to it.  The greenfield path for this future arterial just seems... unnecessary.
This interchange would fit fine at the exiting location of AB.  And don't even sweat that golf course, they're going to turn half of it into more landfill anyway so screw that place.
At least this will all get rid of that bad intersection; the first one east of I-39/90.  That is a terrible spot to have traffic trying to turn left.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SEWIGuy

Yeah, the through traffic on AB has quite the route to take.

The Ghostbuster

This is the first component to converting US 12/18 into a freeway between Interstate 39/90 and CTH-N: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/1218conv/default.aspx. When the CTH-AB-to-CTH-N segment will be converted is anyone's guess.

mrose

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 29, 2022, 03:11:38 PM
And don't even sweat that golf course, they're going to turn half of it into more landfill anyway so screw that place.

Ah, Yahara Hills. Yeah, no huge loss there.... if you like playing the same golf hole 11 times in one round, then this course is for you. You could bulldoze any combination of 18 holes from either one and nobody would be able to tell you which ones are gone and which ones are still there.

SEWIGuy

Growing up in Madison, the great thing about Yahara Hills is you could walk on anytime.  Odana was just a nightmare.

triplemultiplex

Can't imagine you'd wanna play there when it's a north wind.  Shit, it's tough to drive by the landfill some days.  P-U!!

US 12 fan

I don't see any improvements from County AB to County N right now. At least not in this decade.

US 12 fan

I noticed there is going to be a project from Elkhorn to Whitewater in the 2022-2027 Six-Year Highway Improvement Program. I did see an intersection improvement at the US-12-County ES intersection. I hope they put a roundabout at the US 12-Hwy 20-Hwy 67 intersection but I don't see anything special for that. Hopefully that changes because it needs one there.

Here is a link to the Southeast Region:

https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/doing-bus/local-gov/astnce-pgms/highway/stip/projects-se.pdf

To get a better idea, here is the Improvement Program map:

https://wisdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=f9096bc93a1a4ff38b3c9fad0c77f058&showLayers=STIP_4YR

The Ghostbuster

The US 12/STH 20/STH 67 intersection would be an ideal location for a roundabout to be constructed. In Columbia County, the US 51/STH 22/STH 60 intersection (which is similar to the 12/20/67 intersection) is being converted into a roundabout: https://projects.511wi.gov/wis22wis60us51/. The location is here: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3311857,-89.3268383,841m/data=!3m1!1e3.

US 12 fan

Another part they should work on is the US 12-Highway K intersection outside of Middleton and make that a freeway with an overpass. But that is not in the plans right now.

hobsini2

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 31, 2022, 03:13:13 PM
The US 12/STH 20/STH 67 intersection would be an ideal location for a roundabout to be constructed. In Columbia County, the US 51/STH 22/STH 60 intersection (which is similar to the 12/20/67 intersection) is being converted into a roundabout: https://projects.511wi.gov/wis22wis60us51/. The location is here: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3311857,-89.3268383,841m/data=!3m1!1e3.

Ah yes. My mother's favorite way to get to Princeton, where Grandma Novak lived, from Chicago via Madison. Good ole 22. I hated that drive as a kid because it took what seemed like forever to get between Pardeeville and Montello.
As an adult, I would go one of 5 ways starting with the most common listed first.
1. I-94 to Milwaukee, I-894 / US 45 / US 41 to Allerton, Wis 33 West to Hwy A, A North-Northwest to Hwy AW, AW West to Wis 73 North. Typically 3:15
2. Same as 1 except exiting at Wis 49 towards Waupun and then AW from there. Also, typically 3:15
3. I-90 to Portage, I-39 to Wis 23 East. This was usually 3:10 but not as scenic.
4. US 12 to Ft Atkinson, Wis 89 to Columbus, Wis 73 North. Typically 3:25
5. I-90 to Madison, US 151 to Columbus, Wis 73 North. Typically 3:30.

Notice what is missing?

I can't remember the last time I took 22 south of Montello.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SEWIGuy

Pardeeville to Montello is a beautiful ride with little traffic. It can be a little pokey getting from Madison to Pardeeville though.

hobsini2

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 03, 2022, 07:56:13 PM
Pardeeville to Montello is a beautiful ride with little traffic. It can be a little pokey getting from Madison to Pardeeville though.
Oh don't get me wrong. Going through that rolling hills country on 22 by Muir Park is beautiful. I just hated it as a kid.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

JREwing78

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 31, 2022, 03:13:13 PM
The US 12/STH 20/STH 67 intersection would be an ideal location for a roundabout to be constructed.

I couldn't immediately find the WisDOT plans for it, but my understanding is that the plan is for a roundabout there.

US 12 fan

It also occurred to me that another great spot for a roundabout would be at the US 12-US 18-Highway 134 intersection in Cambridge. It used to be a four way stop before they separated 134 from the intersection and had 12 go non-stop. 

triplemultiplex

Quote from: US 12 fan on September 09, 2022, 09:39:05 PM
It also occurred to me that another great spot for a roundabout would be at the US 12-US 18-Highway 134 intersection in Cambridge. It used to be a four way stop before they separated 134 from the intersection and had 12 go non-stop. 
Not to mention it would help people slow the hell down coming into Cambridge.

US 12 fan

The Ghostbuster

Goggle Maps also confirms that a roundabout exists at this location. Have the surrounding roads been modified to their new configurations as well?

US 12 fan

The curve on US 51 that didn't stop will be removed if it hasn't been already.

thspfc

Quote from: US 12 fan on September 15, 2022, 02:00:49 PM
Annoying that US-51 thru traffic will now have to stop/slow down a lot there, but the old configuration always felt like an accident waiting to happen, so it's probably worth it.

skluth

Quote from: thspfc on September 15, 2022, 03:35:54 PM
Annoying that US-51 thru traffic will now have to stop/slow down a lot there, but the old configuration always felt like an accident waiting to happen, so it's probably worth it.

There's almost as much traffic going north on WI 22 as there is going west on US 51/WI 60 according to WI traffic count data. The data don't break down specific movement counts but the roundabout is probably the best solution even though I usually dislike rural roundabouts.

hobsini2

Quote from: thspfc on September 15, 2022, 03:35:54 PM
I remember a few big accidents there as a kid especially as 22 South traffic turned onto 51 South.

US 12 fan

It looks like the US 12/18 County AB interchange was completed and will be open today.

The Ghostbuster

The new Exit 269 does not show up on Google Maps yet, although hopefully it will be updated soon (not holding my breath).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.