News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

More US 31 upgrades between Indy and South Bend

Started by monty, July 12, 2019, 04:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JREwing78

Some random notes from a trip up US-31 from Indianapolis this afternoon:

- The overpass construction at the railroad tracks just north of IN-28 was causing about a 4-mile backup in the southbound lanes, since right now the construction zone chokes down traffic to one lane in each direction. They certainly can't get that part finished fast enough.

- Otherwise, the upgrades between IN-38 and Kokomo to remove stoplights seem to be working well. I didn't have to make any stops on my way north until I got to IN-218 west just north of Grissom Air Base. It helps that traffic northbound was relatively lighter than southbound, which was basically bumper to bumper.

- Not bypassing Cassville while building out the Kokomo bypass seems short-sighted. Now InDOT has to figure out how to eliminate direct access to US-31 at some future point without completely isolating Cassville. Maybe it's ultimately cheaper than extending the bypass another mile or two, but it makes for a bit of a jarring re-entry into surface 4-lane from the fully limited access freeway bypass.

- At this point, the stoplights between Kokomo and Plymouth are going to stand out more and more as safety issues, as the lights farther south get removed. North of Grissom the wider ROW and limited driveway and side-road access makes it feel safer, but then *SURPRISE* here's a stoplight! I didn't time the yellow light duration, but coming down from full speed they feel a bit short. If not being forced to stop by other traffic, I notice truckers tend to blow through yellows even after a second or two after turning red.

- Besides removing stoplights, I would like InDOT to prioritize eliminating any side road/driveway access within at least 1/2 mile of the US-30 and US-24 interchanges. The US-24 interchange has a lot going on at each end, and US-30's interchange comes with relatively little warning coming northbound.

Alps

Quote from: JREwing78 on September 05, 2022, 09:55:22 PM
- At this point, the stoplights between Kokomo and Plymouth are going to stand out more and more as safety issues, as the lights farther south get removed. North of Grissom the wider ROW and limited driveway and side-road access makes it feel safer, but then *SURPRISE* here's a stoplight! I didn't time the yellow light duration, but coming down from full speed they feel a bit short. If not being forced to stop by other traffic, I notice truckers tend to blow through yellows even after a second or two after turning red.
that's cause in Illinois you have red light cameras many places but never in Indiana, so safe to keep going

monty

Norfolk Southern is replacing rail through the US 31 Tipton area. US 31 will be completely closed for periods over the next three days. So will parallel county roads. That'll be messy.

Good news is that the rail bridge project is coming along. At least one overhead span is up.

Meanwhile the two new Hamilton County interchanges are also well under way.
monty

JREwing78

Quote from: monty on October 02, 2022, 07:33:50 PM
Norfolk Southern is replacing rail through the US 31 Tipton area. US 31 will be completely closed for periods over the next three days. So will parallel county roads. That'll be messy.

Good news is that the rail bridge project is coming along. At least one overhead span is up.

NS couldn't have waited for the SBD US-31 overpass to open up before replacing that section of track? It's literally within a month or two of opening up!

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: JREwing78 on October 02, 2022, 11:44:57 PM
Quote from: monty on October 02, 2022, 07:33:50 PM

NS couldn't have waited for the SBD US-31 overpass to open up before replacing that section of track? It's literally within a month or two of opening up!

The crossing itself was really rough the last time I drove over it a few weeks ago, particularly heading southbound. We slowed down to around 10-15 mph to go over the bump.

monty

Tipton County- The new bridge over the NS RR is now open for southbound US 31 traffic. The northbound traffic will continue on the old alignment this winter. One lane is open in each direction. Project completion perhaps a year out.
monty

silverback1065

Quote from: monty on November 23, 2022, 05:05:43 PM
Tipton County- The new bridge over the NS RR is now open for southbound US 31 traffic. The northbound traffic will continue on the old alignment this winter. One lane is open in each direction. Project completion perhaps a year out.

I was up there and can confirm this. I also drove 28 and it is still signed in Tipton

Great Lakes Roads

Looking at INDOT's construction map, here are the projects that will be happening on the US 31 corridor within the next few years (2023-2027) other than preservation maintenance (bridge deck overlay, concrete pavement restoration, etc.).

2023:

• Access Control from .46 mile North of State Route 38 to .6 mile south of 236th St
  • New Bridge over US 31 at 226th Street
  • New Interchange Construction at US 31 Business south of Peru? (not 100% sure/confirmed if this project is breaking ground next year)
  • New Bridges Construction over Elkhart Western Railroad north of Argos

2024:

• Access Control from 3.0 miles N of SR 38 to SR 931

2025-2026: no major projects are currently scheduled

2027:

• New Bridge Construction at 700 N in Fulton County
  • New Interchange Construction at SR 110 on the Fulton/Marshall County Line
  • Access Control between 1.47mi S of SR 110 to 0.31mi S of SR 10 in Fulton and Marshall Counties
  • New Interchange Construction at SR 10 in Argos

roadman65

I was noticing that north of the intersections leaving Indy the mileage sign going NB that once read:
KOKOMO 29
SOUTH BEND 119
was never reinstalled.

I am guessing that engineers didn't think it was important enough to keep even though it could have been relocated.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tdindy88

When US 31 was rebuilt in Hamilton County it was during INDOT's phase where they didn't include much mileage signs (see the US 31 bypass around Kokomo and most of I-69 south of Bloomington.) There's also a lot going on with exits close to each other and little room for the mileage signs anyway. One should have gone up north of SR 38 though. The upcoming interchange project at 236th Street will feature mileage signs and likely the first one heading north of Indianapolis. Kokomo and South Bend will be the destinations on that sign.

The first actual mileage sign is now found north of the SR 28 interchange in Tipton.
https://goo.gl/maps/CRiC3Suru4txuGZq6

monty

Tipton County US 31 Public Information Meeting Dec 7 from 5-7 pm at the Tipton County Fairgrounds.
monty

monty

monty

monty

Please be prepared to allow more time for your travels through the City of Tipton as traffic patterns will be changing with the benefits of the State Road 28 relinquishment. We are taking measures to make our community a much safer place.

Within the next 90-120 days there should be a significant reduction in the non-local truck traffic utilizing Jefferson Street as it passes through our community.

Our goal of making the City of Tipton a much more inviting and pedestrian friendly community is making a huge leap forward with the removal of pass-through traffic on Jefferson Street and Main Street. Please continue to demonstrate the patience and courtesy that have always made Tipton a wonderful place to live and raise a family.
Source: Tipton Mayor and county sheriff office
monty

monty

US 31 Construction Traffic Update (Tipton County Sheriff)

Construction will continue however, all four lanes (both northbound and southbound) of US31 are now open! The intersection at Division Road is also open.

Division stoplight is active. - A  bit of a surprise.

monty

silverback1065

Quote from: monty on December 06, 2022, 10:15:47 PM

Construction will continue however, all four lanes (both northbound and southbound) of US31 are now open! The intersection at Division Road is also open.

is SB on the bridge and NB on the old alignment?

JREwing78

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 07, 2022, 09:04:59 AM
Quote from: monty on December 06, 2022, 10:15:47 PM

is SB on the bridge and NB on the old alignment?

That would be the case. I'm assuming this is just temporary for the winter, and that next spring one lane each way will use the SBD bridge while the NBD bridge is constructed. Google street view on the NBD side at the railroad crossing shows imagery from earlier this summer showing the construction.

ITB

The construction contract for the bridge that will take US 31 over the Elkhart Western RR in Marshall County has been awarded.

Google Maps/Streetview

This is the last at-grade railroad crossing on US 31 between Indianapolis and the Michigan state line. The new bridge will be a significant safety upgrade.

Phend & Brown, Inc., a longtime north central Indiana construction firm, was acquired by Rieth-Riley Construction Co., Inc., in December 2021.

monty

Lane Restrictions and Shifts on U.S. 31 near Tetersburg
TIPTON COUNTY, Ind. - The Indiana Department of Transportation contractor Gradex Inc. announces lane restrictions and shifts on U.S. 31 near Tetersburg.

Beginning on or after, Monday, April 3, crews will place lane restrictions and shifts on U.S. 31 in both directions between S.R. 28 and Division Rd. through late September. The NB U.S. 31 traffic will decrease to a single lane and shift to the newly constructed SB passing lane. This traffic shift will start just north of S.R. 28 to Division Rd. The NB U.S. 31 traffic will then shift back to the existing NB lanes after Division Rd. The SB traffic will decrease to a single lane and shift to the newly constructed SB driving lane.

Division Rd. cross traffic will not be permitted to travel from east to west, but will be able to make right turns on to and off of U.S. 31.
monty

someone17

It would be cool to see 31 as compliant with Interstate standards.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: someone17 on March 27, 2023, 06:52:51 PM

The traffic counts between Plymouth and Peru really don't warrant it compared to the need to finish 6-laning I-65 and I-70.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JREwing78

Quote from: someone17 on March 27, 2023, 06:52:51 PM

InDOT's tiptoeing it's way to that eventuality, but it's going to take decades before it becomes reality. The biggest things they can do to improve safety is to keep eliminating stoplights and side-road access wherever they exist. Well, unless there's another Toll Road they can lease off to gullible investors.

monty

monty

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: monty on September 06, 2023, 04:53:47 AM
Eminent domain being exercised on US 31 Hamilton County corridor: https://fox59.com/indiana-news/more-people-forced-to-move-as-indot-claims-eminent-domain-on-land-on-us-31/

Not surprised that this is happening as INDOT is (slowly) upgrading US 31 to freeway standards, especially between Westfield and Kokomo where the traffic counts are higher than the rest of the corridor.

The Ghostbuster

Relocations are always a part of highway improvements. One part of the story that caught my attention was the owner of Wilson Farm Market's understandable displeasure with having to relocate. If the 256th St. intersection was replaced with an underpass, would that still require the store to be relocated?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.