News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

__________ is/are underrated.

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on October 26, 2022, 04:21:13 PM
Quote from: Bruce on October 26, 2022, 03:26:52 PM
National forests are underrated.

While not as well developed or advertised as national parks, they are usually less crowded and don't have an entry fee (usually just a flat rate for parking). A little research is required to find really good trails, but the payoff is pretty good and you can be in-and-out in a fraction of the time.
They're agricultural sites.

?

Are you saying that all of the trees in national forests were planted by humans for the purposes of food?

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 26, 2022, 04:23:03 PM

While not as well developed or advertised as national parks, they are usually less crowded and don't have an entry fee (usually just a flat rate for parking). A little research is required to find really good trails, but the payoff is pretty good and you can be in-and-out in a fraction of the time.

?

Are you saying that all of the trees in national forests were planted by humans for the purposes of food?

Are you saying that Merino sheep are planted by humans for the purpose of food?

Seriously, though, US national forests are administered by a division of the United States Department of Agriculture.  So......
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2022, 04:33:40 PM

?

Seriously, though, US national forests are administered by a division of the United States Department of Agriculture.  So......

Forgot about that technicality. Like secret service agents were treasurers.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 26, 2022, 04:38:00 PM

?

It isn't a technicality.  The primary purpose of a national forest is to provide a sustainable supply of lumber to be harvested.  Preservation only goes that far with the USDA.  Recreation is a secondary concern.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Rothman on October 26, 2022, 04:52:59 PM

?

It isn't a technicality.  The primary purpose of a national forest is to provide a sustainable supply of lumber to be harvested.  Preservation only goes that far with the USDA.  Recreation is a secondary concern.

Maybe, although that wasn't the original intent.  National forests are the "Land of Many Uses" -- recreation (including some forms not allowed in national parks, such as hunting), timber, watershed, and wildlife/fish habitat.  But more and more, loggers' interests have influenced legislators and those charged with managing the forests.

kkt

?

Are you saying that all the cotton planted in the south doesn't count as agriculture?  or that people are eating it?  (Milo Minderbinder, is that you?)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kkt on October 26, 2022, 10:15:17 PM

?

Are you saying that all the cotton planted in the south doesn't count as agriculture?  or that people are eating it?  (Milo Minderbinder, is that you?)

I mean, how else do you make cotton candy?

Rothman

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 26, 2022, 10:04:18 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 26, 2022, 04:52:59 PM

?

Maybe, although that wasn't the original intent.  National forests are the "Land of Many Uses" -- recreation (including some forms not allowed in national parks, such as hunting), timber, watershed, and wildlife/fish habitat.  But more and more, loggers' interests have influenced legislators and those charged with managing the forests.
Pfft.  National forests = Pinchot, Parks = Muir.  That's all there is to it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

Seems like a better question would be why some Federal lands for mixed uses are National Forests, while others are BLM lands.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kkt on October 27, 2022, 01:20:45 AMSeems like a better question would be why some Federal lands for mixed uses are National Forests, while others are BLM lands.

The BLM is the institutional successor to the General Land Office (managed homesteading) and the Grazing Service (managed grazing leases), both of which were under the Department of the Interior.  The USFS itself is the result of a Congressional decision to exempt certain timber lands from disposal.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

I'm sure someone from the West would find this an incredibly naive question, but why has the BLM retained ownership of so much land, rather than privatizing it through land runs, sales, etc. as was done in the central and eastern parts of the country?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 27, 2022, 02:46:30 AMI'm sure someone from the West would find this an incredibly naive question, but why has the BLM retained ownership of so much land, rather than privatizing it through land runs, sales, etc. as was done in the central and eastern parts of the country?

Many books have been written on this question; a New York Times article from 2016 has a capsule summary.  Essentially, much of the West is either so arid or so poorly roaded that it never became viable to homestead when the frontier was still open, so it was still in federal hands when conservation began to drive land use decisions.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kirbykart

Oatmeal raisin cookies are underrated.

Rothman

Quote from: kirbykart on October 27, 2022, 08:11:27 AM
You madman (although I agree with you).

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on October 27, 2022, 08:17:49 AM
I don't mind them either, because the cinnamon is the best part.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: formulanone on October 27, 2022, 08:43:23 AM

Oatmeal raisin cookies are worse than no cookies at all.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

They're better without the raisins.  Which I think |formulanone| would agree with.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

I like the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies at Potbelly.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on October 27, 2022, 10:30:40 AM
They're better without the raisins.  Which I think |formulanone| would agree with.

If they're juicy raisins, it's all good. Otherwise, it's just a snickerdoodle hiding in oatmeal.

dlsterner

Any cookie with raisins is a cruel joke.  Raisins are just chocolate chip wannabes.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 27, 2022, 09:58:46 AM
Quote from: formulanone on October 27, 2022, 08:43:23 AM

Oatmeal raisin cookies are worse than no cookies at all.

I guess this is true of any cookie, but the quality can vary wildly. Some are good; others, blech.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on October 27, 2022, 02:58:51 PM
I guess this is true of any cookie, but the quality can vary wildly. Some are good; others, blech.

I can honestly say I've never had a cookie and said the word 'blech'. Cookies are like sex; even when it's bad, it's good.

hbelkins

I do not like oatmeal. Put a bowl of oatmeal in front of it and I would push it away.

Oatmeal raisin cookies, OTOH, are yummy.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

OK, but if the bowl also had milk and brown sugar, would you still push it away?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.