News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minnesota Notes

Started by Mdcastle, April 18, 2012, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on_wisconsin

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 04, 2014, 06:03:47 PM
Quick question, inspired by some mileage signs seen in the construction plans for MnDOT SP 8809-20:  what are the "Range Cities"?

I believe they are towns up in the Iron Range.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: on_wisconsin on July 04, 2014, 06:16:53 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on July 04, 2014, 06:03:47 PM
Quick question, inspired by some mileage signs seen in the construction plans for MnDOT SP 8809-20:  what are the "Range Cities"?

I believe they are towns up in the Iron Range.

Correct. Roughly correlates to the cities along US/MN 169 northeast of Grand Rapids in northeastern Minnesota.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

Likely referring to the mining cities (in Minnesota, any incorporated municipality is by definition a "city") along the Mesabi Range...generally along US 169 between Grand Rapids and Virginia.

on_wisconsin

Does anyone know if MnDOT has any plans to improve or rebuild the eastern I-494/694/94 interchange? A flyover ramp and especially some C/D lanes on 494/694 would do wonders there.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

froggie

Milepost61

Bummer, C/D roads along 494/694 would do wonders for that cloverleaf. At least they extended the accel lanes so you have (a little) more distance than just what's between the loop ramps.

J N Winkler

Just to thank those who responded upthread to my "Range Cities" question.  I have now gone back and looked at the plan sheets more closely.  "Range Cities" as defined refers to a 60-mile segment of US 169 between Grand Rapids and Virginia, so for distance signing purposes, I think distances are calculated on a "nearest neighbor" basis.

For example, SP 8809-20 calls for installation of the following distance sign:  Grandy 5, Mora 23, Range Cities 129.  These are forward destinations for TH 65 northbound and the distance given for "Range Cities" is actually the distance to Pengilly (US 169/TH 65 intersection), approximately midway between Grand Rapids and Virginia.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

texaskdog

Minnesota is always well behind on building what they need.  I forgot how many 2 lane freeways there were in the 8 years since I moved away.

The High Plains Traveler

With regard to the "Range Cities" question, that usage has been around since I moved to Minnesota (70s). I always took it to be centered around Hibbing and Virginia, without calculating a distance to any particular spot. In our recent trip there, I was surprised to see the "Twin Cities" control designation has basically disappeared on I-35 from the south. Now, you see alternating Minneapolis and St. Paul distances, and both cities on guide signs.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

SSOWorld

But yet (off-topic) you see "The Oranges" and "The Amboys", etc in New Jersey :-D
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

AplikowskiTheMinnesotan

Quote from: texaskdog on July 08, 2014, 10:44:08 AM
Minnesota is always well behind on building what they need.  I forgot how many 2 lane freeways there were in the 8 years since I moved away.

Oh let me tell ya. Some of the things they plan is dumb too. Like The 694 by Lake Valentine. It took two years worth of construction, TO MOVE IT OVER A FEW FEET! They didn't even widen the lanes!
Rush is the best band! Case closed.

Milepost61

The groundbreaking was held a couple weeks ago on the MN-43 Mississippi River bridge project at Winona. The existing 1940s truss bridge was closed for a couple months back in 2008 when a rusted-through gusset plate was found, and after temporary repairs Mn/DOT started planning the rebuild project.

The project will build a new bridge just to the upstream side of the existing bridge, and traffic will be moved over to it (2016) and the existing bridge closed for rehabilitation. Once rehab is done (2019) both bridges will be opened turning it into a four-lane crossing.

Some historical photos here:
http://www.winonadailynews.com/special-section/winona-bridge-project/

The profile of the new bridge reminds me a little of the I-35W bridge. Must be Mn/DOT's new favorite bridge type.

Mdcastle

That's an amazing number of bicyclists and pedestrians, and someone forgot to tell the animator that traffic signals are no longer yellow. As for the project itself, I think it would have been better for the new  bridge to end on Huff St, there might be too much traffic dumped onto Winona St. in the future.

Milepost61

Yeah Winona St does turn residential just a couple blocks from the bridge but most of the traffic turns at 4th or Broadway. Didn't ever seem to be an issue. Connecting it to Huff would've also caused issues with Riverview Drive, and I imagine the city wants Riverview the way it is since it provides the direct access to the river port.

The High Plains Traveler

I'm glad they're retaining and renovating that existing bridge at Winona. I always loved those older truss-cantilever bridges across the Mississippi. My favorite is the one at Lansing, IA.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: AplikowskiTheMinnesotan on July 24, 2014, 03:54:41 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on July 08, 2014, 10:44:08 AM

Oh let me tell ya. Some of the things they plan is dumb too. Like The 694 by Lake Valentine. It took two years worth of construction, TO MOVE IT OVER A FEW FEET! They didn't even widen the lanes!

Yes, I live just north of there and made no sense to me why this section was not widened to 6 lanes. Thankfully the nasty weave between I-694/US 10/MN 51 Snelling was fixed and now don't have cross 2 lanes of traffic twice a day going from 10 to Snelling and returning for my daily commute!
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

Molandfreak

Got around to Cass Lake again today, finally snapped a better picture of a Minnesota Indian route sign! Indian Route 1004 is Oak Point road: not a dead-end road, but a road that loops back and junctions itself as it serves a few campgrounds and resorts along Leech Lake, between Steamboat Bay and Sucker Bay.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

froggie

Quote from: I94RoadRunner on August 13, 2014, 08:19:54 PM

Yes, I live just north of there and made no sense to me why this section was not widened to 6 lanes. Thankfully the nasty weave between I-694/US 10/MN 51 Snelling was fixed and now don't have cross 2 lanes of traffic twice a day going from 10 to Snelling and returning for my daily commute!

I believe this should address your concern...

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: froggie on September 02, 2014, 10:04:41 PM
Quote from: I94RoadRunner on August 13, 2014, 08:19:54 PM

I believe this should address your concern...

Yes Adam, that will be a big improvement once it gets going. I only wonder why MNDOT did not go ahead and widen the section between I-35W and US 10 when they spent all of that time and money to move the road a few feet .....? Now if they want to widen that 2 mile section, they will have to go back and tear it all up again .....
Chris Kalina

froggie

QuoteYes Adam, that will be a big improvement once it gets going. I only wonder why MNDOT did not go ahead and widen the section between I-35W and US 10 when they spent all of that time and money to move the road a few feet .....? Now if they want to widen that 2 mile section, they will have to go back and tear it all up again .....

A) They didn't have the money to widen it when they redid the Island Lake bridges, which were overdue for a rebuild.  What money they did have for 694 at the time rightfully went to undoing the mess at Snelling/Hwy 10.

B) The bridges were rebuilt with future widening already in mind.  There is no "tearing it all up again" necessary.

I94RoadRunner

I will have to send you a pic of the new bridges, they did not look like they were wide enough to accommodate another lane of traffic .....
Chris Kalina

Molandfreak

MN/DOT installation, neutered county 42 shield west of U.S. 61.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

froggie

Installed directly as part of the Hastings bridge?

Molandfreak

That's what I'm assuming. MN/DOT stickers are on the back, not county ones.

TheHighwayMan3561

Hastings has a couple of other "neutered" county road shields posted on US 61. These are JCT signs though, and they're slightly more awkward because "COUNTY" is posted on the bottom of the pentagons.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.