News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Capital Southeast Connector (Sacramento, CA)

Started by andy3175, April 11, 2013, 11:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

The key is to call them "parkways" , brand them as such, advertise them as such, everything, but ultimately still end up building a freeway.

Sits better with the public eye and could bring less opposition, and still ultimately get the same thing done.

Problem is, pretty sure this project does not involve a full freeway, and still has signalized intersections and lower speed limits than 65 mph.

TheStranger

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 05, 2021, 04:42:29 PM
The key is to call them "parkways" , brand them as such, advertise them as such, everything, but ultimately still end up building a freeway.
That's pretty much what happened with US 101 in the SF Presidio when it was realigned from the old elevated Doyle Drive to the new surface-level (with 2 tunnels) Presidio Parkway about five years ago!
Chris Sampang

sparker

Sits better with the public eye and could bring less opposition, and still ultimately get the same thing done.

Problem is, pretty sure this project does not involve a full freeway, and still has signalized intersections and lower speed limits than 65 mph.

Amusingly, the current Arroyo Seco Parkway (CA 110) in NE L.A. started out life with that name, was renamed the Pasadena Freeway when pushed through Elysian Park to the 4-level Interchange, with its parkway name re-established several years back -- but it's still technically a "freeway", albeit one with reduced speed because of reduced (or nonexistent) lines of sight and stop signs at the functionally RIRO ramps.  But "parkway" seems to have caught on as a "non-threatening" catchall naming convention for a multitude of roadway configurations from simple 2-lane roads through actual parks to "near-freeways", often with narrow shoulders and medians in order to fit into a restricted ROW; a prime example is the US 97 "Bend Parkway" through Bend, OR, which functions as an urban freeway for portions, but with some commercial driveway access -- and physical curbs in places rather than flat shoulders -- presumably to make it look more like a "superstreet" than anything resembling a traditional freeway facility (and thus avoid the ire of the naysayers over in the Willamette Valley or PDX).  Unfortunately, in some jurisdictions such quasi-subterfuge becomes necessary to get a project off the launching pad.   

skluth

Quote from: sparker on May 05, 2021, 05:34:36 PM

Amusingly, the current Arroyo Seco Parkway (CA 110) in NE L.A. started out life with that name, was renamed the Pasadena Freeway when pushed through Elysian Park to the 4-level Interchange, with its parkway name re-established several years back -- but it's still technically a "freeway", albeit one with reduced speed because of reduced (or nonexistent) lines of sight and stop signs at the functionally RIRO ramps.  But "parkway" seems to have caught on as a "non-threatening" catchall naming convention for a multitude of roadway configurations from simple 2-lane roads through actual parks to "near-freeways", often with narrow shoulders and medians in order to fit into a restricted ROW; a prime example is the US 97 "Bend Parkway" through Bend, OR, which functions as an urban freeway for portions, but with some commercial driveway access -- and physical curbs in places rather than flat shoulders -- presumably to make it look more like a "superstreet" than anything resembling a traditional freeway facility (and thus avoid the ire of the naysayers over in the Willamette Valley or PDX).  Unfortunately, in some jurisdictions such quasi-subterfuge becomes necessary to get a project off the launching pad.   

Parkways are already somewhat interchangeable in the lexicon with freeways east of the Rockies. The Baltimore-Washington Parkway, Connecticut's Merritt Parkway, and Nashville's Briley Parkway are all freeways. There are also parkways that are not freeways like the Blue Ridge Parkway and NOVA's George Washington Parkway. The distinction is more important to the community here than elsewhere.

TheStranger

Quote from: skluth on May 06, 2021, 12:08:56 PM
Quote from: sparker on May 05, 2021, 05:34:36 PM

Parkways are already somewhat interchangeable in the lexicon with freeways east of the Rockies. The Baltimore-Washington Parkway, Connecticut's Merritt Parkway, and Nashville's Briley Parkway are all freeways. There are also parkways that are not freeways like the Blue Ridge Parkway and NOVA's George Washington Parkway. The distinction is more important to the community here than elsewhere.

The traditional East Coast usage of "Parkway" is not dissimilar to that for the Arroyo Seco: a freeway/expressway that does not accept trucks on it, i.e. the New York parkway system, or the Merritt Parkway as mentioned above. 
Chris Sampang

sparker

Quote from: TheStranger on May 06, 2021, 06:59:14 PM
The traditional East Coast usage of "Parkway" is not dissimilar to that for the Arroyo Seco: a freeway/expressway that does not accept trucks on it, i.e. the New York parkway system, or the Merritt Parkway as mentioned above. 

The two truck-restricted freeways in the Bay area:  I-580 in east Oakland and CA 85 around the south side of San Jose, seem to have avoided the "parkway" label or name simply because they have been referred to as freeways for their entire existence.  Also, the former has been known as the MacArthur Freeway since its incipient I-5W days nearly 60 years ago, so any diminutive distinction like a descriptive "downgrade" to a parkway would simply and widely be ignored (I certainly couldn't see KCBS calling it a parkway in their every-10-minute radio traffic report!).

TheStranger

Quote from: sparker on May 07, 2021, 03:59:11 AM

The two truck-restricted freeways in the Bay area:  I-580 in east Oakland and CA 85 around the south side of San Jose, seem to have avoided the "parkway" label or name simply because they have been referred to as freeways for their entire existence.  Also, the former has been known as the MacArthur Freeway since its incipient I-5W days nearly 60 years ago, so any diminutive distinction like a descriptive "downgrade" to a parkway would simply and widely be ignored (I certainly couldn't see KCBS calling it a parkway in their every-10-minute radio traffic report!).
In the case of 85 it isn't even a full truck ban either (essentially there is a size component to what is allowed on that road).

IIRC there are also off peak hours where 580 does allow truck usage.  Interesting that that freeway was built entirely as Interstate (going back to 5W era) yet was able to maintain a truck ban, as opposed to 5W being routed on the modern truck route of 880 (then 17) and 238.

SM-G973U1

Chris Sampang

heynow415

Quote from: TheStranger on May 07, 2021, 07:54:34 AM
Quote from: sparker on May 07, 2021, 03:59:11 AM

In the case of 85 it isn't even a full truck ban either (essentially there is a size component to what is allowed on that road).

IIRC there are also off peak hours where 580 does allow truck usage.  Interesting that that freeway was built entirely as Interstate (going back to 5W era) yet was able to maintain a truck ban, as opposed to 5W being routed on the modern truck route of 880 (then 17) and 238.

SM-G973U1

580 has had a full-time truck ban since its construction.  It is only applicable to the portion within Oakland City limits and has a tonnage max which allows for smaller panel type trucks but not large ones or semis, but effectively keeps them off the entire portion between 238 in Castro Valley and 980/24 in DT Oakland.  Eastbound trucks must exit by Grand Avenue, westbound by Estudillo Ave in San Leandro.  The only time the restriction is lifted is if 880 is effectively closed due to a sig-alert type event.  The main reason for the restriction is that when it was constructed in sections from 1962-65 the neighborhoods it cut through were (are still) affluent and they fought for it. 

In hindsight it was probably for the best considering the freeway is more serpentine than most and undulates more than typical as well, as opposed to 880 which is straight and flat so there aren't the impact of trucks slogging up hills creating plugs.  OTOH, it makes 880 that much more of a parking lot.  The other interesting thing is its demonstration of the impacts of trucks and other heavy vehicles to road surfaces compared with cars:  nearly all of it still has its original concrete surface, now pushing 60 years old. There have been concrete patches and slab replacements here and there and there was a microgrinding over the last 5 years or so to smooth minor lifting at the slab joints but other than a couple short sections that got an AC overlay, for the rest you're driving on the original.  Compare that to 880 which is 10 years older but has been repaved how many times??? 

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
One of the rationales back in 1984 for designation of then-CA 17 as I-880 and the freeway portion of CA 238 as I-238 was to secure Interstate designation for the default truck route from Hayward to the MacArthur Maze.  It was apparently reasoned at the time that commercial drivers (and dispatchers) would be more comfortable sending their vehicles over a signed Interstate than on a series of state freeways -- also, the period this took place was prior to the ending of regularized federal support for maintenance of designated Interstate facilities. 

Concrete Bob

This evening (8/16/21), I took a drive on White Rock Road adjacent to the section of the Capital Southeast Connector currently under construction between Prairie City Road and Scott Road in the south part of Folsom.  A great deal of progress has occurred since I last drove in the area in early July 2021.  Roughly 98 percent of the new eastbound carriageway west of Prairie City Road and Scott Road has been paved.  There has been no paving done on the westbound carriageway.  It appears as though few sections of the new westbound carriageway of the Capital City Connector will occupy the area of the existing two lane path of White Rock Road.   

My unprofessional guess is the existing two lane White Rock Road will be shifted to the new eastbound carriageway by September or October.  At that time, the existing old White Rock Road will be removed, and construction of the westbound carriage will begin. I think, if the weather is cooperative, the westbound carriageway will be completed and open to traffic by Spring or Summer of 2022.  I am hoping for a very wet late fall/winter/early spring for 2021-2022, but if the drought remains for another year, I am hoping for a quick wrap-up for this section of the project. 

Additionally, construction has started on an updated Prairie City Road/Scott Road/Capital City surface-level intersection.  In phase two of the Capital Southeast Connector project, this new at-grade intersection will be replaced by a tight diamond interchange.  That will probably occur by 2039 or so. 

Concrete Bob

I took a ride on White Rock Road this evening (9/9/21).  Both directions of traffic have been shifted to the new eastbound carriageway.  The shoulders have been striped for the ultimate configuration of the dual roadway, with the eastbound shoulder being considerably wider than the westbound shoulder.  The center has a double yellow stripe.  The new road is much wider and smoother than the old road, and is a pleasure to drive.  Traffic lights have been installed (but are not in use) at Prairie City Road, Oak Avenue Parkway and East Bidwell Street. 

The construction zone speed limit is 40 MPH throughout the new stretch of road.  But I felt comfortable driving 60 MPH.  Once the section is totally completed, I think the road will have a 55 MPH speed limit. 

Concrete Bob

Drone video of the project filmed on 9/24/2021.  I am thinking this section of the project will be done and open to the public by late spring 2022.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SjK9t702MA

SeriesE

Quote from: Concrete Bob on August 17, 2021, 12:54:47 AM
Additionally, construction has started on an updated Prairie City Road/Scott Road/Capital City surface-level intersection.  In phase two of the Capital Southeast Connector project, this new at-grade intersection will be replaced by a tight diamond interchange.  That will probably occur by 2039 or so.
Tight diamonds have no reason to exist in a new terrain build roadway. It should've at least been a SPUI.

Concrete Bob

Looks like the upgrade of White Rock Road between Prairie City Road and East Bidwell Street could be completed by early December 2021.

https://www.folsom.ca.us/Home/Components/News/News/2658/211

bing101

They are expressways by California standards it basically how San Jose and Santa Clara County got the Capital Expressway and Montague Expressway built. The Capital Southeast Connector is basically an expressway in the Sacramento Valley.

andy3175

Quote from: bing101 on October 17, 2021, 01:52:12 PM

They are expressways by California standards it basically how San Jose and Santa Clara County got the Capital Expressway and Montague Expressway built. The Capital Southeast Connector is basically an expressway in the Sacramento Valley.

Even so, politicians sometimes still use the word "freeway." Here is some media coverage from the May 5, 2021 groundbreaking with a quote from Assemblymember Jim Cooper.

http://www.egcitizen.com/news/groundbreaking-held-for-34-mile-connector-expressway/article_bb60753a-b4dd-11eb-8621-13a3c1439789.html

QuoteAssembly Member Jim Cooper, D-Elk Grove, described the Connector as a benefit to the local economy.

"You look at the construction equipment out here, it has created jobs,"  he said. "They're going to help build this Connector. And I think also, you look at Folsom and Rancho Cordova, they're a job hub, a lot of tech jobs in Folsom. They've got a lot of jobs out here. And we do have Elk Grove residents that commute out here on a daily basis, using Highway 50, and at some point, they'll be able to bypass that. And that will take that burden off of Highway 99, I-5 and also (Highway) 50.

"Think about this: As far as a major, new freeway in the region, this is the first one in 40, 50, 60 years. I think everybody's excited. It's been a long time coming. I think this was originally talked about in 1993, so that tells you how far we've come."

The article goes on to describe the three segments of the Capital Southeast Corridor underway ... and this initial phase does not look like freeway standards to me:

- Grant Line Road widening from two to four lanes from Waterman to Bradshaw roads (with new traffic signals at Mosher and Bradshaw roads) - completion in spring 2022
- Kammerer Road reconstruction/development from Bruceville Road to Lotz Parkway - completion by end of 2021
- White Rock Road reconstruction/expansion from East Bidwell Road to Prairie City Road with four-lane expressway separated by a median - completion winter 2022
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Concrete Bob

While I am fully in support of this project, I am rather disappointed that the section of the Capital Southeast Connector planned through the Wilton area could have up to six roundabouts in a 2.3 mile stretch:

https://www.connectorjpa.net/sheldon-wilton-c.html 

Personally, I feel roundabouts are fine for residential areas and isolated rural areas.  But they have no place on the main lanes of a regional expressway on the edge of a major urban area.  Just my opinion, though.     

Concrete Bob

Yesterday (12/15), I took a drive on the future Capital Southeast Connector between its current southwestern terminus at Bruceville Road (south of Elk Grove) and East Bidwell Road in Folsom.  There has been significant progress at both ends of the route. 

Kammerer Road has been upgraded to a two-lane divided road from Bruceville Road to just west of West Stockton Boulevard in Elk Grove.  The authority responsible for constructing the connector will be adding an additional lane in each direction as funding and vehicle count direct.  This section of the connector has a break in the center median where Kammerer Road has a group of driveways to about ten homes.  A two-way left turn lane exists in this area.  I am uncertain whether the houses will be purchased when the road is widened to four lanes.  This section of the connector has a posted 55 MPH speed limit.  This section of road is a little under three miles.  It was completed in late November 2021.

The one-mile section of Grant Line Road between Waterman and Bradshaw Road is nearly complete.  This portion of the connector has four lanes with a raised center median.  All the traffic is currently using the northeast-bound carriageway.  It appears contractors only need to complete the lane striping and activate the traffic signals at Grant Line, Mosher and Bradshaw Roads.  Additionally, there is some sort of collector road to the right of the connector to provide access to the farms to the south of the connector.  When I drove through the area yesterday, workers were making adjustments to the traffic signals at Bradshaw Road.   

Finally, the section of White Rock Road between Prairie City Road and East Bidwell Street in South Folsom is also coming close to complete.  The westbound lanes of the connector have been paved, but the surface appears to need some additional minor treatment before contractors can apply striping to the westbound roadbed.  Google Streetview was updated recently to show images from November 2021 for this area of the connector.  So, head on over there and take a good look if you want.   

bing101

Quote from: sparker on May 07, 2021, 01:06:49 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
One of the rationales back in 1984 for designation of then-CA 17 as I-880 and the freeway portion of CA 238 as I-238 was to secure Interstate designation for the default truck route from Hayward to the MacArthur Maze.  It was apparently reasoned at the time that commercial drivers (and dispatchers) would be more comfortable sending their vehicles over a signed Interstate than on a series of state freeways -- also, the period this took place was prior to the ending of regularized federal support for maintenance of designated Interstate facilities.
Also that was around the same time when CA-7 Long Beach Freeway was renamed I-710 (Alhambra to Long Beach part) and CA-710(Pasadena) to accommodate Truck Traffic to the Port of Long Beach.

Back to SouthEast Connector this is for now a county route as far as I am aware for now until Caltrans step in and put a designation like how Westside Parkway is waiting to be approved as CA-58 in Bakersfield.
Or SouthEast connector will be like Vasco Rd in the East Side of Contra Costa County as the Bay Area's most busiest road on a non Caltrans highway.

Concrete Bob

I took another trip on the Capital Southeast Connector this afternoon (3/2).  The section between Waterman and Bradshaw Roads is complete, and traffic flows in each of the carriageways.  There are three traffic lights on the stretch from Waterman to Bradshaw Roads.  The road has a posted speed of 55 MPH.  The traffic was flowing smoothly when I hit the stretch around 1:30 PM.  The road tapers to a two-lane road just east of Bradshaw.

There hasn't been any progress on the upgrade of White Rock Road between Prairie City Road and East Bidwell Road in South Folsom.  Apparently, all construction was suspended for the "Winter Season."  Given the dry, warm conditions Sacramento has experienced during January and February, this stretch should and could be in operation.  It appears as though the road simply needs to be striped and have the signal lights activated. 

I believe the next stretch that will be upgraded will be between White Rock Road and Douglas Road. 

Concrete Bob

This evening (5/20), I took another trip on the Capital Southeast Connector.  There has been a good deal of progress.  The westbound carriageway is fully opened and striped.  The temporary "stripage" for the eastbound lanes have been removed, and is nothing but blacktop.  All the new traffic lights have been installed, but they are not operational.  Two of the three signal lights are being served by active traffic lights hung on adjacent electric lines (Prairie City Road/Oak Avenue Parkway), while the third (East Bidwell) is served by new lights flashing red signals.  The eastbound carriage has the area for the right lane blocked off by traffic cones.

It looks like everything will be done and open to traffic by early June. 

Concrete Bob

Last night (6/4), I took another drive along the Corridor.  Both carriages are open, and all three new traffic lights are functioning.  The only thing left to complete on the project is the realignment of Scott Road to tie in with the Prairie City Road intersection.  The four-lane divided connector continues about 1,000 feet east of East Bidwell, where it tapers to the old two-lane configuration. The road has a posted speed of 55 MPH.  There is also ample right of way set aside for future tight diamond interchanges at Prairie City Road and East Bidwell Street.   

bing101

bing101

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/elk-grove-gets-millions-in-federal-funds-for-old-town-transportation-projects/ar-AAZPYbZ

Some of this will include more funding for the South East connector at White Rock Road portion of the project. Note this is ongoing here for Sacramento county.

bing101

https://www.sacbee.com/community/folsom-news/article267901932.html

Update the Folsom portion of the Capital Southeast Connector gets a Ribbon cutting ceremony.

https://www.sacbee.com/community/folsom-news/article272576259.html

Here is more on the project and supposed reduction of traffic fatalities in the Folsom area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.