News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

If the customer is always right, how come so many of them can't work the damn credit card machine?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

What happens if a squirrel has a nut allergy?

kenarmy

- If the US got conquered by some supernation, would our Interstate highways even help us escape since it would be too crowded? And then what if the supernation intercepted every interstate on the system? Maybe this is why the US route system hasn't been abolished  :coffee:.
- Nearly every piece of land you step on has been invaded or under British control at some point.
- I kept hearing this chirping sound at night and I thought it was a cricket, but it was just my stomach..
- WHY TF are kids taught that America has only lost one war?
- American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first-class.
- Idk why you would want to, but you can't lick your elbow.
- It's impossible to kill yourself from holding your breath.
- There's always a way to be more specific.
- You can't spell "bee" with your tongue out while scratching your armpit.
- The "praying hands" emoji is really two hands clapping. Yeah, people are dying and they're applauding  :-P.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kenarmy on April 23, 2021, 11:59:37 AM
- Nearly every piece of land you step on has been invaded or under British control at some point.
When was the American Southwest controlled by the British?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kevinb1994

Quote from: 1 on April 23, 2021, 12:02:03 PM
Also, both the French and Spanish fought for control very early on.

kenarmy

I meant to put "or Spanish" on there  :meh:. But while I'm here, I wonder who's side Britain would be on if Canada decided to invade.

kevinb1994

Quote from: kenarmy on April 23, 2021, 12:11:39 PM
I meant to put "or Spanish" on there  :meh: . But while I'm here, I wonder who's side Britain would be on if Canada decided to invade.
I don't know if they'd be willing to pick a side if that were to happen. Remember, they were neutral during the Civil War.

kphoger

Quote from: kenarmy on April 21, 2021, 12:46:45 AM
There's always a way to be more specific.

We're sorry if we didn't respond to you the first time.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Serious question: Do you have to return a rented electric vehicle with a full charge? Because I see that possibility being a really tricky endeavor in the future.

Fixed that for you.

Scott5114

- If the US got conquered by some supernation, would our Interstate highways even help us escape since it would be too crowded? And then what if the supernation intercepted every interstate on the system? Maybe this is why the US route system hasn't been abolished  :coffee:.

In World War II, once General Eisenhower got control of the Autobahn system, it was far easier for the invading Allied forces to truck troops and equipment throughout Germany, and basically let them make a beeline for Berlin. That experience was what gave Eisenhower the idea that the U.S. needed a similar system–though he was able to imagine that it could be used for defense purposes as well as offensive ones. If there were a ground war on U.S. soil, control of key Interstate interchanges or corridors would definitely be important.

But then again, war has changed a lot since World War II.

kphoger

The USA is a huuuuuuuge nation (that word should be spoken in a Trump-like way).  It is quite possibly large enough to make it impossible to conquer.

Look and see how many attempts to conquer Russia have been successful.  Similar story.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

I had always been of the assumption that Russia was hard to conquer because of its climate rather than its size. By the time we developed technology (planes) that could make both irrelevant, Russia was well on the way to becoming a superpower, making it hard to conquer for that reason. Much of Russia's land has such a low population density that you could basically "capture" it just by walking through, because there's nobody else around to contest your claim.

The U.S. would be hard to conquer because we spend trillions of dollars on military assets, and because we have a good network of allies (notice how, when we were attacked in 2001, how many countries were willing to go in on the counterattack on Afghanistan).

zachary_amaryllis

-
- You can't spell "bee" with your tongue out while scratching your armpit.

i did it.

says guy who might take this too seriously.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on April 23, 2021, 04:10:00 PM
The USA is a huuuuuuuge nation (that word should be spoken in a Trump-like way).  It is quite possibly large enough to make it impossible to conquer.

Look and see how many attempts to conquer Russia have been successful.  Similar story.

The U.S. probably can't be conquered in the traditional sense, but I'm sure it could be conquered by other, more subtle means.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

webny99

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 24, 2021, 10:23:24 AM
Quote from: kphoger on April 23, 2021, 04:10:00 PM

The U.S. probably can't be conquered in the traditional sense, but I'm sure it could be conquered by other, more subtle means.

I think what you're saying is that it's unlikely to be conquered by external forces, but could be broken up or crumble from within. I agree, of course. After the last ~12 months, I don't know how anyone could disagree.

interstatefan990

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 22, 2021, 09:25:31 PM
If the customer is always right, how come so many of them can't work the damn credit card machine?

"The customer is always right" is more of a way of thinking, saying, and doing things professionally, rather than the actual truth. I guess it's considered rude and/or unprofessional to tell a customer they're wrong, so you (the employee) always have to at least treat the customer as if they're right, even if they're completely and totally incorrect. Stupid, but true.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 24, 2021, 06:45:54 PM

"The customer is always right" is more of a way of thinking, saying, and doing things professionally, rather than the actual truth. I guess it's considered rude and/or unprofessional to tell a customer they're wrong, so you (the employee) always have to at least treat the customer as if they're right, even if they're completely and totally incorrect. Stupid, but true.

A lot of them know it too. Never happened during my time at BK but you have no idea how excited some douchebag customers get about the idea of trying to get you fired if you don't treat them like royalty.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 24, 2021, 06:53:53 PM

A lot of them know it too. Never happened during my time at BK but you have no idea how excited some douchebag customers get about the idea of trying to get you fired if you don't treat them like royalty.

i can recall a time from my days as a drive-thru guru at mcdonalds.. guy comes up to the window, says 'hey i was through here 15 minutes ago, and wanted no onions on my burger, but there were onions'

never mind i'd been there for 4 hours, and had literally never seen this person in my life..

so i'm 'sure, you have your receipt', and he produces one.

it's 4 days old.. and from wendys.
clinched:

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on April 24, 2021, 08:16:58 PM

i can recall a time from my days as a drive-thru guru at mcdonalds.. guy comes up to the window, says 'hey i was through here 15 minutes ago, and wanted no onions on my burger, but there were onions'

never mind i'd been there for 4 hours, and had literally never seen this person in my life..

I hated the whole competitor coupon thing, trying to figure out what someone else's thing equated to what you had that for some dumb reason you had to honor. We actually had a guy try to pass off a movie theater coupon once.

The one thing I learned is there are a surprising number of people who legitimately have no idea what the difference is between McDonald's, BK, Wendy's, and other places or even that they're different chains.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US71

One Summer I worked for a pizza delivery place.  Regular customer complains the hamburger on his pizza is bad, so we sent  a new pizza with instructions to save the bad pizza and we would pick it up when we delivered the replacement . Instead, he fed it to his dog before we arrived, but he got his "free replacement" anyway.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kenarmy

Quote from: kphoger on April 23, 2021, 01:23:56 PM

We're sorry if we didn't respond to you the first time.

I forgive y'all.
_

Why tf do people say "I don't have a racist bone in my body?" Do your bones control your thinking? 
I find it weird people admire stallions for their asses. Imagine If we admired elephants for their penises. 
Somebody just died.
Since you're reading this, and I read this, doesn't this mean we thought the same thing since we thought to read it and then read it?
I find it weird things we hear are censored more than things we see during explicit performances. *stares at the WAP performance at the grammys*
What if you got attacked by a turkey?
You've committed a crime.
Your shadow is confirmation that light has traveled over 90 billion miles unobstructed, just to get stopped by you.
Why do we usually click on clickbait when we know it's clickbait and know that it'll disappoint us?
Afro Puffs by the Lady of Rage is the greatest rap song of all time.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 24, 2021, 08:35:28 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on April 24, 2021, 08:16:58 PM

I hated the whole competitor coupon thing, trying to figure out what someone else's thing equated to what you had that for some dumb reason you had to honor. We actually had a guy try to pass off a movie theater coupon once.

The one thing I learned is there are a surprising number of people who legitimately have no idea what the difference is between McDonald's, BK, Wendy's, and other places or even that they're different chains.

had a guy order a whopper once... told him, 'ok, 5.95, first window' he's like 'but its a $3 burger' and i said 'and $2 in gas for me to drive to burger king to get you one..'
clinched:

kurumi

What's the first rule of Crossfit Fight Club?

Tell everyone about Crossfit Fight Club.

(Not original, sadly; a google search for "vegan fight club", basically the same joke, has > 1000 hits)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

interstatefan990

You're not afraid of the dark, you're afraid of what could be in the dark.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

SSOWorld

Quote from: kurumi on April 25, 2021, 03:14:49 PM
What's the first rule of Crossfit Fight Club?

Tell everyone about Crossfit Fight Club.

(Not original, sadly; a google search for "vegan fight club", basically the same joke, has > 1000 hits)
Nope.

Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.