News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Emergency Number for Arkansas State Police.

Started by US71, March 09, 2022, 08:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Arkansas State Police have a new Emergency Number.  Until recently, road signs have advertised *55 as their emergency number.  I discovered over the weekend the new number is *ASP. 

I have no idea when this was changed, but appears to be relatively recent, but I have no idea.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

oscar

Actually, the article says the new number is a non-emergency number. Motorists can still use 911 for emergencies, though whether they'll use that rather than the new non-emergency number remains to be seen. The sign shown in the article isn't clear on what number should be called for emergencies.

I hope that a call to the non-emergency number will draw an emergency response when needed, or even if it isn't. When my car was broken into at night, I called the non-emergency number for the county police. Within minutes, a half-dozen police cars lit up my neighborhood as they converged on my car. (But no charges were filed, even though one of the cops pulled a clear hand print on an item the thief didn't steal.)
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jeffandnicole

Always call 911 in an emergency. I don't know why police agencies even try to use another emergency number. If you're in an emergency, especially when you may not be thinking clearly and time is of the essence, are you going to try to remember what special number with a pound or star in front or after the number you're going to call...or just call the number that works throughout the country and has been engrained into our mindset for decades?

US71

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 09, 2022, 11:24:18 PM
Always call 911 in an emergency. I don't know why police agencies even try to use another emergency number. If you're in an emergency, especially when you may not be thinking clearly and time is of the essence, are you going to try to remember what special number with a pound or star in front or after the number you're going to call...or just call the number that works throughout the country and has been engrained into our mindset for decades?

To my knowledge, some states don't use 911 at all.

bwana39

Does every state have 911?
It's universal across the entire US (and Canada since both countries use the same telephone switching system). It is not only universally used in every state and across 97% of the geographical United States, but 911 is also universal regardless of the type of emergency.

As to the *55 or *LSP, *ASP. etc

Is it an EMERGENCY Number or a quick contact number? They are different.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

J N Winkler

Could it be a question of the call landing promptly in the correct dispatcher's office?  We have called one of these non-911 numbers just once--on the Kansas Turnpike soon after being passed by someone who was fouling the lane line and thus presumably either drunk or drowsy--and the person on the other end of the line clearly had up-to-the-minute information as to the location of the nearest state trooper.  I'm not sure this would have been the case if the call had landed with a county-run 911 center.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.