News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Louisiana meet--March 17 & 18, 2018

Started by cjk374, October 19, 2017, 09:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

I will do my very best to host a road meet here in my home state on St. Patrick's Day weekend, March 17 & 18, 2018.  This will be my first meet to ever host, so please bear with me. I will come out with more specific details as time gets closer, but I do know for sure that Saturday the 17th will be in the Shreveport area. The 18th will be in south Louisiana. I am leaning toward going to Lake Charles so we can drive the big I-10 bridge over the Calcasieu River.

I still need to do some exploration of the southern area to find more things to see. But I will try my best to find something that will be of interest to those who come visit.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I don't do Facebook. All information about this event will only be found on this thread.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

signalman

I'm definitely interested.  I want to make it to at least one meet that's far from me in 2018.  Louisiana would be a good choice.  I'd be able to clinch a lot of roads and counties down and back.  I've also never explored any of Louisiana besides New Orleans, and I didn't drive when I visited in 2013.

Alps

Lake Chaz doesn't have a whole lot besides that one bridge though! But if you sneak west into Texas there's quite a bit more...

jpi

I will keep this in mind, Just need to get the Monday after off and I am in, will let Steph know too.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

Now that sounds like a good time to laissez les bon temps roller.  I'll put it on my calendar and do my damnest to make it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

Thanks for setting an early date for this. Way too soon to commit to attending, but at least it helps me know when not to schedule a Portsmouth, Ohio meet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

corco

I'm tentatively interested in at least one day of the meet. - probably the Shreveport day. I may even drive down for it  :-o

A.J. Bertin

I am definitely interested... at least in the Shreveport portion of the meet. It's too early for me to commit yes or no to a meet this far away from me, but I would like to at least try to attend!
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

I'm likely in, at least for the first part. Might not be able to swing the second part, but we'll see.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Brandon

Quote from: cjk374 on October 19, 2017, 09:05:09 PM
I will do my very best to host a road meet here in my home state on St. Patrick's Day weekend, March 17 & 18, 2018.  This will be my first meet to ever host, so please bear with me. I will come out with more specific details as time gets closer, but I do know for sure that Saturday the 17th will be in the Shreveport area. The 18th will be in south Louisiana. I am leaning toward going to Lake Charles so we can drive the big I-10 bridge over the Calcasieu River.

I still need to do some exploration of the southern area to find more things to see. But I will try my best to find something that will be of interest to those who come visit.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I don't do Facebook. All information about this event will only be found on this thread.

Should someone add a Facebook page for the event on your behalf?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

oscar

Quote from: Brandon on October 21, 2017, 08:18:36 AM

Could be useful if it only points people to the thread on this forum and/or a contact e-mail address, plus providing updates or other important info copied from this forum, with no user discussion or RSVPs on the Facebook page. No point in facilitating discussion of the meet or taking RSVPs in a place inaccessible to the organizer.

That's now I'd handle it, as another Facebook refusnik, if I were to organize a meet.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cl94

Quote from: oscar on October 21, 2017, 07:26:19 PM
Quote from: Brandon on October 21, 2017, 08:18:36 AM

Could be useful if it only points people to the thread on this forum and/or a contact e-mail address, plus providing updates or other important info copied from this forum, with no user discussion or RSVPs on the Facebook page. No point in facilitating discussion of the meet or taking RSVPs in a place inaccessible to the organizer.

That's now I'd handle it, as another Facebook refusnik, if I were to organize a meet.

I agree, but a Facebook page would allow more people to find out about it. There are quite a few regular meet attendees who aren't active on the forum (that number is probably higher than regular meet people who aren't on Facebook). If anything, just create an event with a link and throw it on a few of the roadgeek groups.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

^^^

Or don't even create an event. Just post details to the various roadgeek groups that are on Facebook. Post links to this thread (which should be visible even to non-members of the forum).

Yes, I created an event for my upcoming meet, but I'm not crazy about Facebook events in general.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

Quote from: hbelkins on October 22, 2017, 12:13:18 AM
Yes, I created an event for my upcoming meet, but I'm not crazy about Facebook events in general.

I'm not crazy about public Facebook events, since FB has decided to use attendance of or "interest" in them as an excuse to advertise the event to your friends, even friends who have no interest in the subject matter. That, and any comments on the event page (as well as the fact that you're attending) can be seen by absolutely anyone in the world, because it's public.

To the point where if I were to host another meet, I would make the event page private. This cuts off most of the creepiness and also prevents anyone needing to worry about it looking bad to prospective employers if someone says something weird, vulgar, or controversial.

As for this particular meet, highly unlikely I will be there.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dgolub

Quote from: Duke87 on October 22, 2017, 08:57:37 AM
To the point where if I were to host another meet, I would make the event page private. This cuts off most of the creepiness and also prevents anyone needing to worry about it looking bad to prospective employers if someone says something weird, vulgar, or controversial.

Wait, have people really said things on road meet pages that would cause problems with employers?  It doesn't seem like the kind of place where that sort of thing would come up...

Duke87

Quote from: dgolub on October 22, 2017, 10:03:33 AM
Wait, have people really said things on road meet pages that would cause problems with employers?  It doesn't seem like the kind of place where that sort of thing would come up...

I don't recall anyone having done so. However, the page is public and you have no control over what anyone else says. So hypothetically someone could and there'd be nothing you could really do about it.

SSOWorld

Hence why I refuse to do public events, period.

Also is it not true that even the "public" events are not visible to Facebook "refusniks" like oscar and cjk374?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

oscar

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 22, 2017, 07:44:58 PM
Hence why I refuse to do public events, period.

Also is it not true that even the "public" events are not visible to Facebook "refusniks" like oscar and cjk374?

If the host posts a link to the event on this forum, I can view a little bit of info, but none of the discussion. It used to be I could look at the discussion on a read-only basis, but FB has tightened the screws on that. This also affects meet photos -- it rather frosts me when those photos (even at meets I attended) are posted on FB but not here.

I don't know how easy is for someone on FB but not this forum to find a "public" event.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

dgolub

Quote from: Duke87 on October 22, 2017, 10:50:42 AM
Quote from: dgolub on October 22, 2017, 10:03:33 AM

I don't recall anyone having done so. However, the page is public and you have no control over what anyone else says. So hypothetically someone could and there'd be nothing you could really do about it.

If you're the person who created the event, you have access to delete other people's posts.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Duke87 on October 22, 2017, 08:57:37 AM

I'm not crazy about public Facebook events, since FB has decided to use attendance of or "interest" in them as an excuse to advertise the event to your friends, even friends who have no interest in the subject matter. That, and any comments on the event page (as well as the fact that you're attending) can be seen by absolutely anyone in the world, because it's public.

Last I checked, all posts on the AARoads forum are public. And there has been much more damming things written on here than on FB event pages.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Duke87

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 24, 2017, 06:31:45 PM
Last I checked, all posts on the AARoads forum are public. And there has been much more damming things written on here than on FB event pages.

Indeed they are. However, my real name is not directly associated with my account here, so anyone casually looking me up is probably not going to find this site.

US71

Interested depending on my schedule.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

^^^

Or don't even create an event. Just post details to the various roadgeek groups that are on Facebook. Post links to this thread (which should be visible even to non-members of the forum).

I had a similar thought.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

Good morning & happy New Year to all of y'all!

It is now time for me to get down to the nitty-gritty for nailing down details for this meet. My time off has been approved, so this meet is on! (unlike what happened last time I tried to plan a meet)

One change though...there will be no scheduled trip to south Louisiana on Sunday. I'm just not gonna be able to get down there and do any worthwhile exploration. That will have to be another meet for another time. However, if anyone is still around & interested, we can find some stuff to go see & explore on Sunday (the Bonnie & Clyde ambush site & the old LA 154 bridge built on top of the Lake Bistineau spillway come to mind).  So Sunday will be a "play it by ear" kind of day.

Just as a reminder...all details about this meet will only be found here. As time approaches I may need a head count. That will need to be done here as well. I look forward to seeing y'all on St. Patrick's Day weekend!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.