News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Seattle to Las vegas

Started by norman52, November 28, 2013, 11:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norman52

I have to drive a U-haul for my daughter this Christmas from Seattle to Las vegas. I was just wondering what the road is like and if I would be better off going through Boise and then straight down or just go down I-5 and fight the Siskiyous and then cut over by LA? I have driven the I-5 route before and once when the pass was closed I was able to cut over to the coast and go down through Crescent City. I would have the cascades to cross right here at Seattle but i was wondering what other passes I would have to go up and over to get to Boise and then down to Las Vegas. All information and opinions are welcome.  :hmmm:

NE2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Route_58
QuoteOR 58 is a designated freight route, forming one of several connections between I-5 and US 97, which leads back to I-5 at Weed, California. This is a popular alternate route for trucks on the I-5 corridor, avoiding the steep grades and winter closures of I-5 over Siskiyou Summit.
Then you can cut down 97-39-139-299-395-A3-395 to Reno and 80-50A-95 to Vegas. I'd avoid 139 direct to Susanville due to what appears to be a twisty downgrade.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

brad2971

I'd recommend going through Boise (or very close to it, on US 95), but make sure to watch the weather reports. That stretch between I-84 and, oh, Tonopah can cause as many blizzard surprises as anything found in the Great Plains. I think the only pass should be Snoqualmie Pass on I-90, right in your own backyard.

corco

84 to 93 would definitely be the easiest when the roads are bad, though it isn't the most exciting of drives. Emigrant Hill and a small grade by Ely would be the only substantial mountain passes you'd have to navigate. It does get pretty snowy down there on the high plains from Wells down to about the 318 turnoff (take 318), but there's no traffic, great sightlines, and they take good care of the road.

xonhulu

All three of the suggestions by NE2, Brad and corco are good.  NE2's is the most direct, although there still might be construction on the Salt Creek Tunnel on OR 58 causing delays.  This is probably also the most scenic way.  But corco's also right that I-90-82-84 and US 93 is probably the safer route for avoiding winter weather problems; as Brad says, you'll probably hit the worst spot, Snoqualmie Pass, right in your backyard there.  But if you want to swing through California, Siskiyou Pass isn't that bad that you absolutely need to avoid it.  Assuming I-5, CA 58, I-15 is the route you're planning, you miss most of the major cities and hit very few passes.

Whatever route you take, enjoy the trip!

NE2

Quote from: xonhulu on November 28, 2013, 01:32:46 PM
NE2's is the most direct, although there still might be construction on the Salt Creek Tunnel on OR 58 causing delays.
It's actually about 40 miles longer. Thanks, I-82!

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

xonhulu

Quote from: NE2 on November 28, 2013, 09:39:03 PM
Quote from: xonhulu on November 28, 2013, 01:32:46 PM
NE2's is the most direct, although there still might be construction on the Salt Creek Tunnel on OR 58 causing delays.
It's actually about 40 minutes longer. Thanks, I-82!

Hey, it would be the most direct for me.

NE2

Oops, I mean miles. Time is wibbly wobbly.

norman52

It will depend on the last minute pass reports. I want the least amount of snow as I have to drive the U-haul and have two 20 something's following me in their cars. I appreciate all the suggestions.

myosh_tino

Quote from: norman52 on November 29, 2013, 09:43:47 AM
It will depend on the last minute pass reports. I want the least amount of snow as I have to drive the U-haul and have two 20 something's following me in their cars. I appreciate all the suggestions.

If you're looking for the least amount of snow and I-5 is clear from Ashland to Redding, I would use I-5, CA-46, CA-99, CA-58 and I-15.  While CA-58 does go over the Tehachapi mountains, it is rarely closed due to snow and the other mountain passes, Halloran and Mountain, on I-15 between Baker and the Nevada stateline are also rarely closed due to snow.

Note: You mentioned that you'd be doing this near Christmas so I will add a word of warning.  If California has any significant amount of rainfall before your trip, you might run into some rather nasty valley fog (also called "tule" or "ground" fog) in California's central valley.  If you're not used to driving in near-zero visibility, it can be a hair-raising experience... trust me, I've done it once and vow never to willingly do it again!
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

gonealookin

Quote from: NE2 on November 28, 2013, 12:23:37 PMI'd avoid 139 direct to Susanville due to what appears to be a twisty downgrade.

CA-139 between CA-299 and Susanville is an winding, narrow old county road.  Drive it once (not in winter) and it's not likely you'll ever drive it again.  And good grief, definitely not with a U-Haul.

My preferred route from Portland to Reno is US-26 to US-97 to OR-31 to US-395, with the A-3 shortcut near Honey Lake.  Past Government Camp, there's almost no traffic anywhere on that route except in the Madras to Bend area.  However, for the OP's purposes, in late December the trip over US-26 wouldn't likely be easy.  Any route through either Bakersfield or Boise is probably better than anything that would go through Reno.

norman52

I was just wondering, if on the day i leave Snoqualmie pass is looking ugly, what would I run into going south to Portland and then east through Pendleton and Boise? Any passes to go through? I drove through Pendleton 40 years ago and hit enough ice to scare me but I don't remember any big hills.

corco

Just Emigrant Hill east of Pendleton- otherwise it's pretty flat. That was always my backup Seattle-Idaho route in the winters when I lived up there.

norman52

Also Boise to Las Vegas, I 84 and then 93 straight down or I-84 and I-15 through Salt Lake? Google shows that the Salt Lake route is 100 miles longer but only an hour longer in time? Higher speed limits or more freeway instead of two lane roads?

corco

I would do US 93- less traffic and easier terrain. Sweetzer Summit on 84 can get pretty nasty with wind/snow- plus Salt Lake traffic. Speed limit is 80 in rural areas in Utah, 70 on US 93. Nevada takes good care of 93/318 when it gets dicey

norman52

Thank you. Speed i don't need as 60MPH will be just fine in a U-Haul.

corco

Just make sure you use 93 to 6 to 318 to 93 instead of just 93- Nevada takes very good care of the former route, which also is pretty much flat and straight. Staying on 93 wont be plowed as well and you will have an extra small mountain pass.

norman52

Yes, that is the route Google showed.

NE2

Don't forget 318. And wave to corco when you pass through Udaho.

norman52

Glad I am not going today. Everywhere is packed snow.

doorknob60

Quote from: norman52 on December 06, 2013, 07:52:37 AM
I was just wondering, if on the day i leave Snoqualmie pass is looking ugly, what would I run into going south to Portland and then east through Pendleton and Boise? Any passes to go through? I drove through Pendleton 40 years ago and hit enough ice to scare me but I don't remember any big hills.

There are no passes or hills between Portland and Pendleton, but in the winter, the roads can still be quite icy and treacherous through the gorge, mostly between Troutdale and Hood River (much worse than something like I-5 from Seattle to Portland, despite similar elevations). It's usually better than the passes due to its low elevation, but not always. Just a warning.

norman52

I just realized I have a plan C and that is to drive 101 South along the coast unless Washington gets snow south of Olympia like it did yesterday.. Once to Astoria it would be just rain to San Francisco.Long and curvy and slow but at least it is a back up plan.

corco

Don't forget that a loaded Uhaul will actually be quite good on ice/snow if you encounter it- the weight will give you quite a bit of traction. Just make sure you get a rig with decent tires.

roadfro

Quote from: corco on December 06, 2013, 10:57:21 AM
Just make sure you use 93 to 6 to 318 to 93 instead of just 93- Nevada takes very good care of the former route, which also is pretty much flat and straight. Staying on 93 wont be plowed as well and you will have an extra small mountain pass.

Leaving Ely and taking US 6 to SR 318 is the shorter route between Ely and Crystal Springs on the way south to Vegas. This is the NHS route instead of US 93 between those points. SR 318 is very well maintained road and is fairly straight, since it is the route used in the annual Silver State Classic open road races.

US 93 is probably a nicer drive from a scenic perspective (it's a state scenic byway around there), but that's likely not high on your priority list for this trip.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

corco

I've driven both ways after snow events....they seem to put a good amount of mag chloride on the 318 route and plow it well. 93 through Pioche...doesn't even seem like they run a plow through it unless there's a lot of snow.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.