News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2016 Summer olympics

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 05, 2009, 08:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Besides Chicago and Rio de Janeiro, Tokyo is also on the bid to host the 2016 olympics
http://moon-chase.blogspot.com/2009/04/tokyo-in-final-bids-for-2016-olympic.html

Personally, I wish then Chicago or Rio de Janeiro host them.  And Tokyo already hosted them (in 1964) and South America hadn't hosted them yet. Chicago was originally planned to host the 1904 games but it was at St. Louis since Chicago hosted an universal exposition

Also, I spotted on Youtube, this old promotionnal film when Detroit submitted for the olympics games
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUbsw28PCpA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evxDI7ce6Z0

Hellfighter

If only they had Coleman Young as the moderator!  :-D

BigMattFromTexas

it would be cool to have the Olympics im the U.S.of A again

yanksfan6129

As much as I would like to see the Olympics in my home country (and I am "rooting" for Chicago), I admit it would be interesting for the games to be held on a continent where it has never been held before.

SSOWorld

If it is Chicago that is selected - that would be scary indeed - the Olympics 3 hours away from me (assuming I'm still living where I'm at now)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hellfighter

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on July 07, 2009, 09:02:32 PM
As much as I would like to see the Olympics in my home country (and I am "rooting" for Chicago), I admit it would be interesting for the games to be held on a continent where it has never been held before.

Like...Antarctica!?

yanksfan6129

Quote from: Hellfighter on July 07, 2009, 10:14:01 PM

Like...Antarctica!?

From a road geek standpoint, do you think Antarctica has the infrastructure?  :-P

Seriously, Antarctica is perhaps a little too exotic just yet. Maybe eventually though!

jgb191

The games has not been hosted in South America yet, so I'm pulling for Rio.

If not Chicago (2016), then I'm still hopeful that 2020 might be the year for Houston or Dallas/Fort Worth.

Dubai and Singapore would make great hosts I think.

I also think that Delhi might do quite well (India has had a poor track record in the Olympics, so this might help bolster their program).  Before 2008, India and China -- the two most populous countries on Earth -- has never hosted the games, so I'm glad one of them got to do it last year.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

njroadhorse

I'm pulling for Chicago just because America hasn't hosted one of the large worldwide sports events like the Olympics or the World Cup, etc. in awhile.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

jgb191

I admit it would be interesting for the games to be held on a continent where it has never been held before.

Africa and South America are the only civilized continents that have never got to host one yet....it would be great to see them get a shot at hosting the games, just like China finally got their first chance last year to show the world what they can do, and they made the most of it.

In this decade (2000-2009), Australia, North America, Asia, and Europe have seen the games.  North America just hosted 2002 Winter games seven years ago in Salt Lake, and we have Vancouver coming up next year.

Of all the Olympics Games (summer and winter) only seven were held outside North America and Europe, we've been pretty fortunate that the US has hosted the most number of games of any nation in the world. 

In fact, the Olympics are generally held in North America about every 5-10 years....so going by that rough pattern, after Vancouver 2010, it's reasonable to believe Chicago is probably getting 2016.

1960 Fresno (CA) -- winter
1968 Mexico City -- summer
1976 Montreal -- summer
1980 New York -- winter
1984 Los Angeles -- summer
1988 Calgary -- winter
1996 Atlanta -- summer
2002 Salt Lake -- winter
2010 Vancouver -- winter
2016 Chicago??? -- summer

The announcement I believe is this fall and it's between Chicago, Madrid, Tokyo, and Rio de Janeiro.  Best of luck to those cities.

Truvelo

The 2012 London games were announced in 2007 which gives five years planning. If the 2016 games are announced this year it will give seven years.
Speed limits limit life

mefailenglish

Quote from: jgb191 on July 18, 2009, 12:01:15 PM
I also think that Delhi might do quite well (India has had a poor track record in the Olympics, so this might help bolster their program).  Before 2008, India and China -- the two most populous countries on Earth -- has never hosted the games, so I'm glad one of them got to do it last year.
Delhi needs a major league infrastructure upgrade before they could host an Olympic Games.  They actually were in the middle of said upgrade when I was there last year.  They're hosting the Commonwealth Games next year (2010) and if that goes well, I wouldn't be surprised to see them hosting the games some time in the not-too-distant future.

SSOWorld

Selection will take place on October 2, 2009 (Translated 2 October 2009 ;) )
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jgb191

Quote from: Truvelo on July 19, 2009, 02:34:22 PM
The 2012 London games were announced in 2007 which gives five years planning. If the 2016 games are announced this year it will give seven years.

It was actually announced in July 2005 just hours before the London bombings....I watched the selection announcement live, so it'll still give London seven years.

Stephane Dumas

In the list of cities who submitted a bid for the games but lost, was Toronto. This time the'll try their luck for the 2015 Pan American games http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Pan_American_Games

Truvelo

Quote from: jgb191 on July 19, 2009, 09:38:33 PM
Quote from: Truvelo on July 19, 2009, 02:34:22 PM

It was actually announced in July 2005 just hours before the London bombings....I watched the selection announcement live, so it'll still give London seven years.

My mistake, I took 7/7 as being July 2007.
Speed limits limit life

Stephane Dumas

more about the proposed olympic village and installations in Chicago http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=94921&page=218
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/theskyline/2009/08/alternative-plans-for-olympic-village-emerge-they-dont-rate-gold-medals-but-they-advance-the-debate-.html

It might be politically incorrect today but how about building an artificial island on Lake Michigan who can have some of the olympics stuff?

Stephane Dumas

mapman

QuoteAfrica and South America are the only civilized continents that have never got to host one yet....

Africa has previously tried to host the summer Olympic games.  A former colleague of mine worked on the transportation plan for a previous bid by Cape Town, South Africa.  (I can't remember the exact year for which they were bidding -- either 1996 or 2000, I think.)

hm insulators

Technically, if they ever held the "summer" Olympics in Cape Town (or Buenos Aires or Sydney again), they really should call them the Winter Olympics as June, July and August are the winter months in the Southern Hemisphere. Rio is also in the Southern Hemisphere, but at least it's in a more-or-less tropical climate.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Chris

Tokyo, Chicago eliminated from first round of voting to select host of 2016 Olympic Games, IOC announces.

So, it's gonna be either Rio de Janeiro or Madrid. I hope for Rio, would be nice to have the olympics in South America once.

agentsteel53

good, now our Dear Leader can stop sweet-talking Denmark and return to his regularly scheduled program of sweet-talking the USA.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

DanTheMan414

Since it's still before they announce the results of the final vote, I'd say Rio would be more likely than Madrid, since London is hosting in 2012, and I'm not sure if they'd be that apt to have European cities hosting 2 consecutive Summer Olympics.

By the way, I am somewhat shocked that Chicago got clipped off the top, although I could see where the city's political history and several other factors may have played a bigger role in the vote, and thus even Pres. Obama's presence was not enough to shape the minds of the IOC voters.

DanTheMan414

It is indeed Rio that's getting the 2016 Summer Olympics.

Chris

I think it's kinda fair Rio de Janeiro got the olympics this time, there have never been any olympics in South America before, while the U.S. hosted it many times, as did Europe recently (Athens 2004, London 2012).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.