News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

American Truck Simulator

Started by on_wisconsin, January 22, 2016, 10:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

They even are rebuilding the old maps in order to bring them to current standards. I can expect anything from SCS Software, when they managed to sneak I-180 Wyoming in.

Also, I like how they announced Texas before Montana, yet they released the latter first.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

MoiraPrime

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 07, 2022, 04:53:51 PM
I just watched the trailer in full screen mode to look at the details, and...

They actually took the time to model a Texas goalpost, and include the little reflective collar on it? Either one of the devs is a Texan or this game goes to ridiculous lengths when it comes to realism.

They hired a couple people specifically to model realistic traffic signs. One of them being Natvander who at his hiring was creating a mod to add them to the game. https://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=250188

Edit: also as mentioned earlier, I've uploaded a clip of me driving from Albuquerque, NM to Price, UT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-MEGhmgCiA

JoePCool14

I just checked out some of the footage from the trailer. They even got Texas' obsession with Clearview correct.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

MoiraPrime

kurumi

Quote from: MoiraPrime on November 09, 2022, 01:02:29 PM
Here's an exclusive livestream they did of the DLC.

A comment at 48:23: "I'm a native Texas roadgeek, and this is quite impressive."

Hands up, who was that :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Henry

Great! Maybe now they'll speed up the additions of the remainder of the country. So far, I can see that this was a labor of love that was undertaken, with precise details about every state, right down to the signs.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Scott5114

I'd love to be the dev that does the signage for the Oklahoma expansion. Just get stoned and pass out drooling on the keyboard...Then push whatever is on the screen to main when you wake up.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MoiraPrime

Here's a preview video from a YouTuber who got early access https://youtu.be/XrX4ETMLK9I

vtk

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 08, 2022, 06:13:41 AM
Also, I like how they announced Texas before Montana, yet they released the latter first.

Well of course Texas took longer to do, it's huge!

What's interesting to me is Texas is about to release and we don't have an announcement for what's next. Since I've been playing, there's always been one or two confirmed in the pipeline at any given time. Maybe after Texas the map team is on a well-deserved vacation. Maybe Oklahoma will be announced on the 15th, or as a Christmas "surprise"...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

US 89

Quote from: MoiraPrime on November 08, 2022, 08:26:02 AM
Edit: also as mentioned earlier, I've uploaded a clip of me driving from Albuquerque, NM to Price, UT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-MEGhmgCiA

I feel for anyone in a dual turn lane next to you.  :poke:

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: vtk on November 10, 2022, 11:41:14 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 08, 2022, 06:13:41 AM

Well of course Texas took longer to do, it's huge!

What's interesting to me is Texas is about to release and we don't have an announcement for what's next. Since I've been playing, there's always been one or two confirmed in the pipeline at any given time. Maybe after Texas the map team is on a well-deserved vacation. Maybe Oklahoma will be announced on the 15th, or as a Christmas "surprise"...

They usually anounce the map DLCs for the year. But it is already known, per game files, that Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska are next in line. But they could have added Boise City, Oklahoma already with Texas for connectivity sake, it's going to be quite a detour from Dalhart to Lamar.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

MoiraPrime

Quote from: US 89 on November 11, 2022, 12:30:39 AM
Quote from: MoiraPrime on November 08, 2022, 08:26:02 AM

I feel for anyone in a dual turn lane next to you.  :poke:

Kenworth W900 moment

MoiraPrime

They just announced Oklahoma as well. Here's the DLC page for it: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2209650/American_Truck_Simulator__Oklahoma/

Also someone on Reddit made this neat graphic showing the entire map so far (at least once Texas releases tomorrow). Reminder that the game is in 1:20 scale.

Scott5114

The preview video doesn't look all that much like Oklahoma yet. Ground-level signals are basically never used here, and horizontal signals are basically only used in Lawton, downtown OKC, and Mustang, and that doesn't really look like any of them offhand. (That particular signal mounting looks like they lifted it out of Gallup, NM.)

US 89

Damn, they sure made Oklahoma look a lot more exciting than it is. As mentioned above, with the exception of the bridge and dam, the whole thing looks more like New Mexico.

MoiraPrime

That's probably the case. They likely started out on the NM side of Oklahoma and are slowly trying to work out which roads to include.

Generally in these videos they can still be really early previews, they just need to get a couple areas looking good enough to show off.

If I had to guess, Oklahoma is at least 6 months from release.

MoiraPrime

It's wild seeing places like Shreveport, basically a state away, finally as control cities on signs.

So close but so far away :(

Other Pictures:

Here's one I took in the Colorado DLC too:

Henry

Something tells me that in addition to OK, the following states are next in the pipeline:

KS, NE, SD, ND

Then after that, the remaining states west of the Mississippi should be covered. We can worry about the ones east of the Mississippi later, but I like that more of the country is available as time rolls on.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MikieTimT

Quote from: Henry on November 17, 2022, 10:31:03 AM
Something tells me that in addition to OK, the following states are next in the pipeline:

KS, NE, SD, ND

Then after that, the remaining states west of the Mississippi should be covered. We can worry about the ones east of the Mississippi later, but I like that more of the country is available as time rolls on.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle West Memphis when they get around to Arkansas since it'll be a bit before Tennessee is done.  Bet they end I-40 East at the I-55 North interchange and force everyone northbound.

MoiraPrime

Final trailer and promotional map for Oklahoma just released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0x21pq-cCY

Releases on August 1st. Blog article here: https://blog.scssoft.com/2023/07/oklahoma-release-date-reveal.html

Scott5114

Pretty well done; I definitely recognize what a lot of the locations shown are modeled after.

I feel a little bad for the poor guy that had to sit there and pore over Oklahoma to find content that was both representative (i.e. not just spam Green Country over and over again) and looks nice enough to make people want to spend money on Oklahoma. Even our own tourism department struggles with that sometimes.

Somehow this trailer managed to pull off the trick of making Boise City seem kind of cool. (But didn't they want their truck trarffic elimitanted?)

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 09, 2022, 05:55:32 PM
I'd love to be the dev that does the signage for the Oklahoma expansion. Just get stoned and pass out drooling on the keyboard...Then push whatever is on the screen to main when you wake up.

I mean this is literally my every day, except I'm not programming games.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

JoePCool14

Do the signs live up to the quality expected from OKDOT? :-D

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 23, 2023, 06:53:37 PM
Do the signs live up to the quality expected from OKDOT? :-D

I saw I-40 signed as I-5 at one point. So...yes.

US 89

That 6th image reminds me a lot of McAlester, OK. I don't know if that's where it was supposed to be, but that was the first place that jumped to mind when I saw it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.