New overhead signs on the 91 east in Buena Park

Started by Occidental Tourist, October 06, 2022, 09:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Occidental Tourist

After about eight months of construction, new overhead gantries and signs were installed on the 91 east approaching the 5 freeway. Overall the installation seems well done and is an improvement over the prior button-copy signs, except for two things:

1) they didn't install any additional signs to give better advance warning about using the 5 south ramp to access the exit for Magnolia Avenue. There still remains only one sign just shortly before the ramp;

2) This new sign has misaligned down arrows:

SeriesE

Looks like no one checked for alignment before mounting the signs!

Isn't the down arrow on the sign for I-5 south incorrect per the current specs - either down arrow or distance to exit but not both?

Occidental Tourist

That's my understanding of the California MUTCD. For option lane signs, there isn't supposed to be a mileage listing. Only "exit only"  signs can have mileage listings.

wanderer2575

If this were old Ohio, the option lane arrow for exit 23B and the arrow for exit 24 would be dancing arrows and the sign alignment would be fine.

What this really needs is to simply eliminate the arrow on the exit 24 sign.

Henry

I see a couple of problems with it:

1. The Exit Only panel on the CA 39 sign is too close to the edge
2. The I-5 exit sign does not need an arrow, especially since it's still one mile away

Other than that, it's a well-done assembly.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jdbx

Even with the errors, this is still so much cleaner looking than when those internal tabs are shoehorned in.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.